Why become a member? ×

Any one else using an always on octave up effect on your bass, or a real 8 (or 10) string "octave" bass, as your main?

Baloney Balderdash

Just out of curiosity, anyone who also uses an always (or almost always) on 1 octave up effect to emulate an 8 string bass, or a real 8 (or 10) string "octave" bass as your main?

Currently my main bass is an Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Bass with just a DiMarzio Model P pickup wired directly to the output jack socket, tuned 2 half steps above E standard tuning, as in F#1 to A2, which I run through an always on TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini octaver pedal,. which is set with a 1 octave up blended with the clean signal.

Actually manged, thanks to the EQ'ing of the input signal that is fed to the octave engine and the processed output signal that the Toneprint editor allows for, to make the octave up tone sound pretty realistic without any digital artifacts whatsoever, just using the stock polyphonic octaver, on which the octave up signal has as good as perfect tracking and very short, almost unnoticeable, latency, and in my opinion already without utilizing the Toneprint editor sounds much more natural than for example the EHX POG pedals, which while also tracking as good as perfect with very short latency (and for some reason lower latency on the octave down signal than the Sub'N'Up), , has a somewhat organ or synth like quality to it.

I use it as the main instrument for a progressive psychedelic stoner rock solo project I am working on at the moment, which instrumentation I plan predominantly to consist of just bass, drums/percussion and vocals.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

There was a band called Ten Men Wide from somewhere in Wales and their singer / bassist played an 8.

They were a 3 piece and they sounded huge. Had some drive on the bass too and I imagine the octave string filled in a lot more harmonic content with the drive going.

I'd really like an 8, but they are all to heavy for me. :( 

• Like 1

Am in a bass/drums two piece so split my signal - one bass and one an octave up with dirt for ‘guitar’ sounds. Use a T-Rex Quint for the octave up (also gives the option to mix in a 5th above which helps with power chord sounds) into a Green Russian amongst others...

Edited by mr4stringz
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, mr4stringz said:

Am in a bass/drums two piece so split my signal - one bass and one an octave up with dirt for ‘guitar’ sounds. Use a T-Rex Quint for the octave up (also gives the option to mix in a 5th above which helps with power chord sounds) into a Green Russian amongst others...

Are you in Royal Blood? 

1 hour ago, mr4stringz said:

Not quite. Just someone who got fed up of guitarists!

Fair play. I use octave up and smart harmony to give me the 5th for power chord type playing when we want that second guitar sound. It works surprisingly well. I've never been so tight with a guitarist. 😁

• Like 2

I had a Hagstrom 8-string for a bit. It was cool. I had ideas of it really filling out the sound of a trio. I dont think i'd get any argument in saying that an octave pedal isnt EXACTLY the same BUT to be honest i found my POG2 decent enough that i didnt hold onto the Hagstrom for long. The Hagstrom was good but sometimes I felt i wanted to turn the 8-string sound off, which fortunately i can do with the POG.

Also because the POG2 has presets and more controls, I could get alot more out of it. I dont think i've had much cause to use it in a band since like 2010, but i dont think i'd ever sell it. (which is odd for me, because i would sell pretty much anything else). 

• Like 2