Why become a member? ×

Advice on parting with a bass

Bafflegab

15 hours ago, Bafflegab said:

Hey all

Firstly - this isn't a sale post!  If and when I do decide to sell, I'll pay the fee and list it properly 😃 

Basically, long story short, I've got this bass that I've had for a long time, it was custom built to my spec, and it's a really great bass to be honest, it does everything it needs to do.

Only one problem - I don't love it.  I don't feel like I've ever really connected with it, even though it's a really good instrument.  It barely gets played 😪 

I keep thinking about selling it (I could use the money, it's not like direly in need or anything like that, but I could use it elsewhere) but I get as far as taking photos and then change my mind.

How can I get over this and sell it to someone who will use it?

I feel the same way about my Gibson Gold Top Les Paul Bass. Great bass, but I never connected with it.

Blue

17 hours ago, Bafflegab said:

More that because it was made to my spec, I feel like I should love it and keep it.  My friend said when I got it "you must keep it forever, never sell it as it's YOURS" 

You need other friends ... that one is delusional 

• Like 2

Viewed objectively (if there is any such thing), instruments are just bits of skilfully fashioned wood and metal. They are tools, that are meant to do a job. We may like or be fond of them, but they have to do the job, or they are just ornaments. If you don't get on with an instrument, sell or move it on and replace it with something that does suit you. You never know, the next owner may really find it to their liking. We're all different.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Sambrook said:

". . . Have you tried changing strings? Sounds stupid, but a different 'type' of string can make a big difference."

Plus 1 on this.  I have a Washburn XB500, and put some flatwounds on it when I first had it set up.  It was dull and lifeless, and I rarely picked it up to play.  I preferred a 32" scale 5 string acoustic bass.

However, I needed to use an electric bass for a gig, tuned up, snapped a string, and decided to replace the whole set with Dunlop steels (40 to 120).   Now, it is my main bass - wonderful instrument, lively, responsive, and exciting to play.  The acoustic bass is now for sale (but I already have another - see below). 

To select the strings, I went into The Gallery, and played a few electric basses, until I found one that I liked the sound and feel of.  I asked "what strings do I need to make my Washburn sound like this bass here?".  "Er . . . that looks like a set of Dunlop steels".   So, for me, it was the strings - and not the bass - that needed changing.      

23 hours ago, akabane said:

On another note; have you tried to give it enough time to see if you actually could get comfortable with it? Some of my most beloved basses I had to "fight with" for a bit before forming very strong bonds :)

I have a Boulder Creek 5 string now, fitted with a set of AB345 strings (phosphor bronze round wound winding around a nylon core), which I had not played for a while.  When I returned to it, it sounded dreadful - but that was because I was playing with the same technique as I used on the electric bass.

It took me a while to adjust, but once I had persisted, and learnt the instrument (rather than the bassline), I was rewarded with a rich, musical tone.

So, perhaps changing the strings, and persisting with that instrument exclusively for a week or two, will yield a result.

Let us know how you get on!    

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Sell but expect to take a huge hit on the price. So glad I love my Shuker!

Me too but have often had the advantage of being a custom bass second owner, you already know what it is like and it has taken the big hit

But yeh, life is too short to hang on to something you are not playing. I have regretted selling things, but I am no worse from doing so, and if I still had them they would be sitting doing nothing

Edited by Woodinblack

Personally, if I have had a bass that is an absolute looker but I haven't gelled with it I will take pictures, list it for sale then put it back in its case or bag an don't look at it again.

There's nothing that will make you think twice about selling it than pulling the bass back out again for a play or a look.

Then you look at the pictures months or years after you sold it and think, bugger - even though it was the right thing to do at the time.

Some examples:

DSC04207.JPG

DSC02052.jpg

DSC04260.JPG

20190201_095136.jpg

DSC04631.jpg

DSC01484.jpg

Edited by Delberthot

What always works for me - look at what you could get with the money and draw up a shortlist. Make it a real, direct connection in your head rather than an abstract. I get very attached to gear and don't like to let anything go, but as soon as I start looking at stuff I've wanted for a while, that pedal i haven't used for ages start to look like £150 rather than a pedal I might maybe possibly use someday.

I'm a buyer not a seller, but finally admitted to myself my Bravewood Jazz, built to my spec,  was not the one for me. I added another two very nice basses - Pino Stingray and modified 62 Jazz, that I didn't pick up regularly and have turned the proceeds into a 65 Strat (heresy)

As others have said, if you don't play it, if you have tried strings/setup changes, take the hit and buy something that will ultimately give more satisfaction and consequently, more value. 

Secondhand exotic basses can be bought for very attractive prices currently, so you should be able to buy something great without having to top up. Move on, you will feel better fo it.

Before committing to a sale spend time using only this bass for a few weeks. As others have said, tweak the action. change the strings, alter the pick up height - try your very best to gel with it.

You may find with minor adjustments the bass is more YOU than you currently think.

Sellers remorse is a bitter pill to swallow.

Hi everyone, thank you for all your replies, much appreciated, it's good to see everyone's point of view.

And apologies for the delay in responding, I've been totally swamped for a few days and haven't been able to get online much.

I think I will try the suggestion of changing the strings - I use D'Addario nickels on all my basses (the ones with rounds anyway), and they are perfect on those, but maybe they don't work for this one.  I'm going to try some steel wounds I think, I've never used those.  I did try flats on this bass but meh... didn't do it for me so I put them back on the P bass.

Any suggestions for some light-ish gauge short scale steel wounds?

For the last couple of years I've been using D'Addario NYXL's on my active Jazz. I know they are nickel, but I like them a lot. Before that, for 15 years or more, I used DR Lo-Riders and Hi-Beams. Great long lasting strings but a tad more expensive than the NYXL's.

On 11/07/2020 at 19:33, TheGreek said:

Before committing to a sale spend time using only this bass for a few weeks. As others have said, tweak the action. change the strings, alter the pick up height - try your very best to gel with it.

You may find with minor adjustments the bass is more YOU than you currently think.

Sounds like the voice of experience 😄

On 10/07/2020 at 12:47, Bafflegab said:

Hey all

Firstly - this isn't a sale post!  If and when I do decide to sell, I'll pay the fee and list it properly 😃 

Basically, long story short, I've got this bass that I've had for a long time, it was custom built to my spec, and it's a really great bass to be honest, it does everything it needs to do.

Only one problem - I don't love it.  I don't feel like I've ever really connected with it, even though it's a really good instrument.  It barely gets played 😪 

I keep thinking about selling it (I could use the money, it's not like direly in need or anything like that, but I could use it elsewhere) but I get as far as taking photos and then change my mind.

How can I get over this and sell it to someone who will use it?

If you haven't bonded with it by now, then you never will. Take a deep breath, take the photos. put it up for sale and use the proceeds to fund something else, otherwise it will continue gathering dust.

I feel you. I have 14 basses. I no longer play in a band and every year that goes by the likelihood of me playing live again gets further away. Yet I can’t bring myself to sell any of my basses. They all have sentimental value of some sort. Recently I contacted guitar guitar to ask about selling my K5 and my Cabronita. The offered were derisory. £250 and £200 respectively. I said to the guy I realise you are a business but these guitars are in mint condition So thanks but no thanks. So they stay with me to this day. 

On 11/07/2020 at 19:33, TheGreek said:

I did this with a P bass I had made from bits off of eBay. I was never very keen on it and hated the neck. I hardly ever played it.  I stumbled on a box in the corner of my music room. It was a P neck that I had forgotten about.  I changed it over and fitted all the hardware, stuck new strings on it and tried it. The action was like a mile high. I lowered the action. Still no use. That’s when I started on the truss rod. After a few  sessions of winding it everything fell into place. The action is now perfect and the neck nice and straight. The bass has now taken on a whole new life. I love it now. It plays beautifully and sounds great. It has Seymour Duncan pick ups courtesy of our own KioGon.  It has become my first choice bass to pick up and play now