Why become a member? ×

Not sure if I can be bothered to go back to gigging

BobVbass

32 minutes ago, gjones said:

I suppose if you have an iffy band, or don't get on with your bandmates, this enforced break might feel like a good thing. But I like my bandmates and the music we play and am desperate to get back to playing (when it's safe/safer to do so).

But there's a difference between playing and gigging isn't there?

I play with my band every week and enjoy it immensely.

I still have no desire to play in a crowded room in front of the great unwashed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I still have no desire to play in a crowded room in front of the great unwashed. 

I play in 3 bands,

The first one is a pretty, pro quality, gigging band.

The other two bands I'm in, talk about gigging, but I don't know if their hearts are in it.

I enjoy rehearsing but I do love gigging in a band with good confident players. Some musicians only come alive when they're onstage. There is a great exchange of energy at a gig between band and audience, full of sweaty punters, having a good time.

1 minute ago, gjones said:

I play in 3 bands,

The first one is a pretty, pro quality, gigging band.

The other two bands I'm in, talk about gigging, but I don't know if their hearts are in it.

I enjoy rehearsing but I do love gigging in a band with good confident players. Some musicians only come alive when they're onstage. There is a great exchange of energy at a gig between band and audience, full of sweaty punters, having a good time.

There's also a great exchange of airborne particles. 

Don't get me wrong. I understand the desire to get back to it, but I think anyone actually doing it is off their rockers, and that includes my old band who are now out gigging every weekend. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

There is a difference. Playing is ok, but can't wait until it is safe to get back to gigging.

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

There's also a great exchange of airborne particles. 

Don't get me wrong. I understand the desire to get back to it, but I think anyone actually doing it is off their rockers, and that includes my old band who are now out gigging every weekend. 

Even in Scotland, where the new infection rate is now very low,  I wouldn't want to play in a crowded bar. But, it's not an option at the moment, I doubt venues will be allowed to have loud music for a few months yet.

• Like 1

I still miss gigging and rehearsing, and I'm lucky to be in a couple of bands where I get on with all the people in them, and there aren't any major egos to deal with. However, as my personal circumstances have changed in recent months, I may have to choose one over the other as I doubt I'll be able to financially cope with two. 

I know the gig / rehearsal thing is being debated in separate threads on here, but I don't see myself getting back into either until the threat level goes down, or a vaccine comes out. In one of my bands, a couple of the guys are reluctant to get back sooner rather than later, and I respect that.

So many interesting replies, it's really made me think about what I like about gigging and what I don't - I'm in a three piece and they're both really lovely, in ten years we've barely had a minor disagreement, we're booked up for a gig every fortnight for eighteen months or we were. Playing with people so long and so often is fabulous - we know what we're thinking and do have a great laugh. I make a nice but of pocket money from it too. 

The setting up, taking down, travel is an utter PIA and that used to be completely put in the shade by the enjoyment of performing which was just brilliant. I guess that changed a couple of years ago when I started to transition - I went through a year of utter hell - whizzed blokes at working men's clubs etc, not being able to use the loo for six hours etc - performing became nothing but stress and even though I kind of got out the other side of all that crap I think it's taken the shine off things. I don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water and I know it's actually useful for people to meet their first trans person but I play to escape the rubbish not just get a load more. I guess there's no rush to decide. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BobVbass said:

I went through a year of utter hell - whizzed blokes at working men's clubs etc, not being able to use the loo for six hours etc - performing became nothing but stress and even though I kind of got out the other side of all that crap I think it's taken the shine off things.

Maybe playing every fortnight is just too much and it has become too job like? Also I presume some places are better than others. Why not reduce the level of gigging and pick and choose the places you want to play, rather than doing the ones that are bad?

• Like 1