Why become a member? ×

Not sure if I can be bothered to go back to gigging

BobVbass

I’m back ‘treading the boards’ this afternoon for a livestream gig from our drummer’s back garden (so more like ‘treading the grass’). I’m a little anxious, not with social aspect of it, that’ll be fine, it’s more about whether I‘ll still get the old buzz or if, like some folk in this thread, my joy for live performance has died. During the lockdown, I have started to get into recording and I really enjoy the whole process and I still get to play with other people, just not in person. We will see...

10 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Judging by many of these posts, Blue, there's going to be much less competition in future, so those of us who want to keep gigging won't have much trouble. ;)

Haha, this exactly!
It mainly just seems that many people have realized they’re doing the ‘wrong’ gigs.

Can’t wait to get back! Communicating  onstage with other musicians by playing is were it’s all at for me.

Si

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Judging by many of these posts, Blue, there's going to be much less competition in future, so those of us who want to keep gigging won't have much trouble. ;)

I generally agree, but it might be balanced off by fewer venues surviving.

If we want to continue playing to an audience I think we’re going to have to adapt; certainly temporarily, maybe permanently.

Live music won’t die, although it sometimes might smell like it. 😉

• Like 1

I’m really missing gigging. It’s my time away from the pressures of work and family life, meeting friends, getting creative and letting off steam, as well as keeping my voice and my playing in shape.

Im 46 so I’ve hopefully got a few years left of playing. Even tho gigs can be a pain in the @r$e logistically I do find they are the best proving ground for new material (both original and general experimentation with covers).

Without any on the horizon it’s hard to feel motivated tho.

27 minutes ago, bassbiscuits said:

Im 46 so I’ve hopefully got a few years left of playing.

In 17 years you'll be the same age as me, and you'll probably find that remark quite funny!

For what it's worth, I picked up a bass guitar for the first time on my 49th birthday ...

:on_the_quiet:

• Like 4

The current band has been together since Jan 2019 and has struggled to pick up gigs regularly.  The singer has recently relocated which will make rehearsing and gigging extremely difficult.  I think the band will fall apart, and I'm not convinced I can be @rsed to start again.  It's a good band, but I haven't really enjoyed being in it as much as my last few bands - it's two girls and two guys and the dynamic is completely different from a bunch of blokes having a laugh. I've started some home recording of originals.  

In the past I've actually enjoyed being in a band and learning new songs more than gigging which, to my mind, is a necessary evil.

I know it's different strokes for different folks, but I just can't understand how anyone can say they don't care whether they gig again or not. Playing music live is pretty much the most satisfying thing one can do, imho, even with all the irritations that can come with it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

I know it's different strokes for different folks, but I just can't understand how anyone can say they don't care whether they gig again or not. 

Because some people don't care if they gig or not. That is the way with enjoying things. Some people even go into pubs when they weren't being paid, I know, I never got that myself.

• Like 2

Currently with the complaints from the band members in our second group because we are not yet ready to risk life and limb to stand practicing songs in the back of a pub (with no gigs yet planned), and after the hassle it was getting the group back together, I am not sure I can be bothered with it at all, it is rapidly getting beyond the level of aggravation I can put up with for something that is supposed to be fun.

• Like 1

Last gig was new years,  2019/2020.   We had gigs booked for later this year but due to the main singers' weird behaviour,  i called it a day just before the Cov shytstorm hit the fan.  Weird timing by me  :)

So,  just as i quit,  the Cov kicked off and my band's future gigs were cancelled, although just before lockdown came in, i saw they placed an ad  to replace me, but that went out the window , of course.

I will ( and from now, actually ) seeking another band without a drama queen in it

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Currently with the complaints from the band members in our second group because we are not yet ready to risk life and limb to stand practicing songs in the back of a pub (with no gigs yet planned), and after the hassle it was getting the group back together, I am not sure I can be bothered with it at all, it is rapidly getting beyond the level of aggravation I can put up with for something that is supposed to be fun.

Both my bands are 3-piece, both contain at least one member who takes Covid-19 as seriously as I suspect you do (i.e. very differently from me) but I can see no point at all in trying to push others into changing their life view, or agreeing with my opinion, or doing what I want because I want to get gigging again.

When they're ready to start again they'll let me know, I'm sure. Until then, I'm trying to chill.

• Like 2

I used to gig a lot..played in around 100 bands around here in Belgium with some well-known names..I was very lucky and always combined it with a day time job..

Since a couple of years I hardly gig anymore...tired of the setlists filled with predictable songs, tired of the choices some singers make when the success fades, tired of the traffic jams, tired of being there six hours in advance, tired of the change in live music and the atmosphere (everyone staring at smartphones backstage instead of having fun, people hardly talk to each other like we used to and I have the impression that everyone tries to play it "safe", most of them just head home after the gig). I refused a lot of things and they don't call you anymore..

I still play at home and I try to keep myself busy with learning new things..It's weird but I don't miss bands and when I hear musicians complain these days and say how they miss the stage....I don't feel that at all.

My life will always be filled with playing bass but the gigs are certainly not essential...

• Like 2

Well that was fun. Definitely want to keep gigging on the strength of that. Playing at home is fine, but you don’t get that interaction or the need to make sure you’re right on your game all of the time (there were several lack of game fitness slip ups). 

• Like 1

For those of us fortunate to be able to work from home, we've seen the change it has made to our lives.  Less wasted travel time being the obvious one. 

Gigging is no different. 

Driving to a venue.

Scrambling to find a parking place and pobably having to fork out loads for a parking meter.  

Hanging around waiting for the headline band to arrive so setup can start only their drummer/guitarist is late as always because it's rock and roll/he's an unprofessional silly billy (delete as appropriate).

What's not to miss? 

Actually, I can't wait to get back to gigging and if you have any shows your band doesn't want, send them my way.. 

On 11/07/2020 at 08:29, Len_derby said:

I generally agree, but it might be balanced off by fewer venues surviving.

If we want to continue playing to an audience I think we’re going to have to adapt; certainly temporarily, maybe permanently.

Live music won’t die, although it sometimes might smell like it. 😉

You’ve Clearly been to heanor, I claim my £5

1 hour ago, Geek99 said:

You’ve Clearly been to heanor, I claim my £5

Darned right I have - it might have been me who provided the smell.

The last time I played live there was at The King of Prussia. Complete with  the experiences that only the Notts-Derbys borderlands seem to provide 😉

6 minutes ago, Len_derby said:

Darned right I have - it might have been me who provided the smell.

I doubt it, I suspect that’s been there since the days of wattle and daub, heanor is in the doomsday book

• Haha 1

Been gigging for 40 years and to be honest quite enjoyed the break since March and hardly picked a bass up apart from a couple of lockdown recordings. Many of my gigs have been moved to next year which is fine, looking forward to getting back to it when ready. In the current environment why would anyone want to get out there gigging other than an outside job, simply not safe for you or others.

I suppose if you have an iffy band, or don't get on with your bandmates, this enforced break might feel like a good thing. But I like my bandmates and the music we play and am desperate to get back to playing (when it's safe/safer to do so).

It's been a good time to reflect on what's important and what's not.

Bands can be all consuming and take over your life if you let them.

It's been a good time to reflect, make changes and hopefully get back to the love of playing.