Why become a member? ×

Not sure if I can be bothered to go back to gigging

BobVbass

So I've been gigging for 35 years pretty constantly at least once or twice a month, its always been a huge part of my life and I've always missed it. I carried on playing working men's clubs despite a whole lot of abuse when I first transitioned because I loved it so much but now I've not played a gig for 6 months, probably won't before the year is out and I'm not missing it at all. 

I've been doing some home recording and just playing for fun and really enjoying it - its doesn't feel like my second job anymore - and I really don't know if I'll go back to gigging. I don't know whether its because I'm an old bag these days or what but anyone else feel the same?

I'm very conflicted about the whole thing. As much as I miss 'the old days', I can't see gigs returning in a hurry and when they do can't see myself wanting to gig until a vaccine is available and things are back to the old normal.

I haven't touched my bass in a few weeks and have been learning travis picking on my acoustic guitar instead. Hopefully this means that when gigs return I will have magically become Gary Willis!

yes I've been playing loads of guitar recording and just messing about and really remembering the love of playing in general. I used to love the performance side of things but I just feel "meh" about it now - I do loads of public speaking these days so I was wondering whether that was having an effect as well - weird though

I've been in bands solidly for 30 years... and I'm still gigging in a theatre rock show. Great venues and audiences.... but Covid has shown me how little I miss all the band drama, venue nonsense, travel etc. Wondering whether the 2+ hours onstage are really worth it anymore. During lockdown I've been recording myself playing my fave basslines, initially for myself, but now sharing them with some friends and I'm finding it fun and rewarding. With the unknown situation we're gonna hit in theatreland when things finally get up and running I'm wondering if I can be bothered anymore.... but part of that lack of enthusiasm may be misplaced from recent 'guitard' dealings which has left a sour taste....

An unprecedented situation that is leaving me confused...

Edited by cetera
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

I quit my band in March. I dont miss the drama and all the grief that goes with it, one bit.

I have missed playing live though. 

Joined a new band now and looking forward to it. No dramas, no hassle, just sit in the background and play.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, BobVbass said:

I do loads of public speaking these days so I was wondering whether that was having an effect as well -

I think you might have the answer there, Bobbi, your public speaking role has replaced your need to 'express yourself' through your playing. Just follow your heart - and maybe you'll look back on your years of gigging as just an interesting previous chapter in your life.

Best of luck!

• Like 2

I folded my last band in June 2019, chiefly because two of the 5 band members became rarely available for the constant stream of gig offers we were getting - so with an empty calendar there was no point continuing.

I love gigging and hoped to find a new project, but I’ve been in bands long enough to know that the chances are high of coming up against the frustration of yet more time-wasters with availability or commitment issues.

So in the enforced reality of lockdown I have had to rediscover the enjoyment of just playing at home, the challenge of developing my improvisational skills and a growing acceptance that my gigging days may be something to look back on.😏

• Like 1

I have played so many gigs over the years that I have lost count I have not played in about 7 years because of work commitments. I still enjoy mucking about in the spare room and recording but I honestly think I wouldn’t have the nerve to play live now. It used to be a huge part of my life but I just feel so self conscious now. I think it’s because I haven’t done it for so long. It would be nice to have the opportunity right enough. 

I'm in two great bands with a whole load of lovely people, all of whom I count as good friends. Miss gigging? christ I feel like I've lost a limb or something. Can't wait to get out there again, BUT only when it's safe.

• Like 2

Don't see me going back to it. Odd to say that and not really feel much emotionally one way or another - but these have been the strangest of times and will probably change a lot of us, maybe more than we realise at this point.

In fairness I've not gigged properly for a good few years. My band played originals & we struggled to replace our drummer when he left about 6 years ago, & shortly after, a house-move meant we had to give up our basement practice & recording space.

Lockdown meant the end to speculative rehearsal room get-togethers (where we usually just ended up playing sh!t versions of Rush tunes anyway!) and I totally don't miss it. I've probably picked up the bass maybe 4 times during the course of the last 3 or 4 months.

Have been playing guitar a lot, and putting together some musical ideas, mostly in my head. There's probably no interest in, never mind a market for a 35-40 minute concept piece based on a science fiction novella from the late 60s, but given time, one might be created. :)

• Like 1

DI've not missed it (used to gig 1to 3 times a week), got on coming next Sunday and feel  indifferent about it.

It's the best band I've been in, no big egos, all mates, play some good tunes and try new stuff. Same band for more than 13 years, it's my social life too, we have a good laugh.

However...

Why am I dreading a gig? I've certainly got a lot of stresses at the moment and maybe I think going back to frequent gigs will add to the stresses? I dunno, time will tell.

The word drama has popped up in a few replies and it perfect way to describe how we feel about the band situations that some of us find ourselves in. 

Me, I love playing with some of the band, others I could gladly never see again. I haven`t played a gig in almost a year now and tbh I have missed the actual playing but everything else that goes with it...

Edited by jezzaboy
  • Like 1

I've been gigging on and off for over 30 years, the most recent off spell being nearly 3 years. This is because of a change in music taste, inability to find players who want to play the same kind of stuff plus a dislike of pub culture.  If I could find others who'd want to play 70s - 80s funk & disco covers plus 90s dance stuff at small festivals then I'd be up for it like a shot. I keep hoping.

That’s exactly how I feel too... I just enjoy playing at home and don’t think I can be bothered anymore. Fixed schedule, carrying stuffs, dealing people’s ego, opinions etc. I already do that everyday at work. I think that’s enough for me for now.

Dont want the sound weird but IMO, gigs were over long before Covid. We (at least me... and most of my friends) are used to nice clean sound, not to go see random bands playing random stuffs too loud with shitty acoustic in dirty places. Got old maybe.

I have a « band », we gather... sometimes. We jam, because we like it. Then we drink beers and we go home.

I just realized I enjoy much more recording things I like (Or not) in the comfort of my place, when I fancy doing it, than playing in front of drunk guys that just want me to play Californication.

Edited by julfam

9 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Gigging is a major part of my social life. I see my mates, we have fun, I get paid, plus all my gigs tend to be within 30 minutes from home, so what's not to like?

That is ideal. I hated long travel, having to wait around for hours, finding somewhere to eat in the middle of nowhere. Enjoyed playing, especially with the last band, but not worth the agro or when I was working all week too. My last gig was NYE 2018/19 and I’ve just enjoyed learning music for myself since.

I think I’m quite fortunate to be in two bands that don’t come with a load of drama, so I’m really looking forward to getting back to gigging, whenever that may be. If anything, I’ve enjoyed the break. It’s allowed me a space to be ‘bass free’, which although my brain initially fought against, it was worth doing. After I had properly chilled out and stopped worrying about all the gigs that were getting cancelled, I was then able to reset and pick up a bass again and enjoy it even more than I did before.

I have a feeling that the comeback is going to be slow and long winded, a bit like getting a start up band gig ready.

In respect of the OP - go with what you feel is the best for you. No one is going to judge you for not gigging. Life is too short.

15 hours ago, BobVbass said:

So I've been gigging for 35 years pretty constantly at least once or twice a month, its always been a huge part of my life and I've always missed it. I carried on playing working men's clubs despite a whole lot of abuse when I first transitioned because I loved it so much but now I've not played a gig for 6 months, probably won't before the year is out and I'm not missing it at all. 

I've been doing some home recording and just playing for fun and really enjoying it - its doesn't feel like my second job anymore - and I really don't know if I'll go back to gigging. I don't know whether its because I'm an old bag these days or what but anyone else feel the same?

I'm not sure how old an "old bag" is, however I'd like to see as many of us 65 plus folks hang in there as long as possible.

Blue

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bluewine said:

I'm not sure how old an "old bag" is, however I'd like to see as many of us 65 plus folks hang in there as long as possible.

Judging by many of these posts, Blue, there's going to be much less competition in future, so those of us who want to keep gigging won't have much trouble. ;)

• Like 1