Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton Shorty v Jack & Danny mini

flowersdie

Hi all,

My girlfriend is currently looking at buying a cheap beginners bass and is looking at the HB shorty and the J and D mini. What would you recommend (if at all)? Are there major differences between the two?

It's for a lo fi project thing although the band has already been offered their first gig!

Best wishes

Jeremy

Edited by flowersdie
misspelling

I know a few people here have the J&d mini. 

I very much doubt there will be much, if any, difference. 

The HBs are way better than they have any right to be at the price they charge. I gig with Harleys on a regular basis, never let me down, always sound great. 

• Like 2

Not any real difference between the two, other than the J&Ds come in various colours, and the HB only in black.

Alternatively if you look second hand SX short scale basses are I would say a step up over the others. Also older Encore short scale basses are arguably better than HB or J&D mini, in terms of build quality and sound, but you'll probably need to give it a good set up before you see the difference. 😃

• Like 1

My Daughter as a J & D Mini and I'm astonished at how nice it is.  Solid alder body, lovely poly body finish, very nicely set up and needed little in the way of tweaking out the box, and feels like a much more expensive instrument.  Genuinely very impressed, can't knock their quality for the asking price.

Edited by Bassfinger
  • Like 3

Thanks for the replies all, we're going to the DV247 Romford shop next week so she can try one of the J and Ds. She likes the colour of the surf green one (as do I)! She is going to try one of the J and D full size basses too; do you know how they would compare to the full size HBs? I guess similar. She has been practicing on an old 1970s  short scale Kay Ric copy (K20-B?), which a friend has lent her, which she really enjoyed.

Well, Mrs Flowersdie chose the J and D mini jazz bass which was the only short scale in the DV247 shop, she says it's perfect for her little hands. She got £15 off due to it being a display copy, so it was £80 (she bought a deluxe bag for it too). She is very pleased, they are getting new stock of the other colours in the next few weeks. She has named the bass 'craddock'!

Fanny the Bass.jpg

Edited by flowersdie
more words
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another new member of the HB PB Shorty Society - bought it on Tuesday and it arrived a short while ago.  Took it out of the box, tuned it up.  Hey Presto - nothing else needs doing.  Absolutely nothing.  Set up is to my liking.  Fit and finish is extremely good.  The maple in the headstock even has a little speckle running through it.  Sounds like a Precision bass.  Possibly not as much character in the tone as my more expensive P basses but it absolutely does the job.  3.2kg/7lbs.  2x allen keys for truss rod and bridge and a cheap lead.  £80 and, with the Powerbank I also bought, free shipping.  I am flabberghasted, frankly.

£80.  I *may* stick a better pickup in it.  I have a 62 Custom one kicking about.  I *may* get a black pickguard made as I am not keen on white ones.  Then again, I may just leave it be.  I mean, £80 ffs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul S said:

I'd sell all my expensive basses except I haven't got any.

That's it. That's exactly it. I haven't any either and now I have literally zero desire to buy any.

If these basses were a couple of hundred quid cheaper, well maybe you'd get something worth the upgrade but they are like 10, 11, 12 times as cheap. It's crazy.

Congratulations and jubilations, now get the pics up.

• Like 1