Why become a member? ×

Alternative pots/knobs for Dano Longhorn

After recently nearly selling my Dano Longhorn (Covid did me a favour as I wouldn't post.....) I have grown to appreciate it's abilities and some of it's idiosyncrasies.  One foible that still bugs however is the stacked vol/tone controls.  There is no way, to me, to alter the settings with one hand as the tone always follows the volume as you adjust and vice versa.  This makes life on stage a little interesting at times.

Can anyone recommend an alternative set up, less plasticky and more functional.

Cheers,  Mart  

LHBCB-large.jpg

Thanks K, could you pm me some details/pics.  Not sure how the knobs come of the current pots so can't give any info on the pot shaft.  Not a grub screw or a 'push-pull' fit as far as I can make out.  I'll have to get into the guts to check.

I have a 90s reissue longhorn. They had two circular top knobs as opposed to the pointer ones on yours. Mine do just pull off but they are tight. I use a spoon as a lever, slide the bowl end of a pudding spoon under the edge of the knob and gently push down on the handle, do one little push then rotate the knob bit and repeat. It should lift the knob off. 

If Danelectro still use the same pots then the shafts are odd sizes, the lower knob fits into two keyways like the big old radio knobs and the shaft for the top ones is 4 or 5mm rather than the usual 6. 

A new loom from @KiOgonwould enable you to use more conventional knobs, and if you do go for a new loom it would definitely be worth considering incorporating a series/parallel switch in it. In series the two pickups act like a spaced out humbucker and give it some serious punch.

I've heard about this issue with the tone and volume knobs both turning together but it doesn't happen on mine, which makes wonder if it's something as simple as the top knob being pushed on too far and it's contacting the lower one, the added leverage from having the later pointer style would likely exacerbate this as any slight rocking as the knob turned would 'grab' the lower knob. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that @Maude. I’ve been generally happy with the loom/sounds but I’ve got to admit the possibility of putting as humbucking would be interesting. I always have to take a second bass with a humbucker as some venues make the Dano buzz like a bugger. 

Edited by martthebass