Why become a member? ×

NBD: MIJ 70s jazz

uk_lefty

So some strange twist of fate happened last week. I had been toying with selling my MIJ 1970 P bass reissue because I have three single pickup basses and it was too good to not be played, but I think my Stingray knocks the P bass out. I had seen an MIJ Jazz, 1970s style, butterscotch finish and pearl blocks a while back. I thought they only did the 70s reissue in black... Anyhow I'm thinking of this bass so I email a dealer of Japanese guitars asking about lefty basses. Then I see the for sale forum here and Kevham is selling the exact bass I want! I message Kevham straight away. Then the dealer gets back to me saying he's got a 70s MIJ lefty jazz, but it's been modded and not very well and he still wants almost a grand for it. So I list my P Bass for sale on Facebook and it gets some interest but no bids so a few days later it goes on Reverb at an optimistic price and I get an acceptable offer within an hour! Kevham is a gent and great to deal with. 

So the Jazz. Its butterscotch which you can see the woodgrain through. The neck has a lovely vintage tint and thick cream binding. The blocks are stunning, not too shiny and colourful, quite creamy. I'm not sure the bridge pickup is actually in 70s position but that's OK. There's a three screw neck plate. The whole feel is solid, pure MIJ build quality. The pickguard is pre drilled for a thumb rest and neck pickup ashtray cover. I've only had a few minutes playing through a practice amp but it's familiar jazz bass sound in a luxurious body. Decisions coming up include to ashtray or not, and if so both or just one pickup? If I don't ashtray the bridge pup do I put my Badass bridge on it? Do I put flats on for some warmth or use bright zingy rounds to get the snappiness from the maple board?

I'm a very happy left handed bassist. 

IMG_20200709_083607.jpg

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

I have a bit of a thing for 70s and 80s style basses and Japanese made. Shame I had to move on an MIJ bass to get it but it was the most sensible thing to do! 

I do love the look of a 70s Fender, they're definitely my favourite era looks-wise.

I can't remember the exact model, but I'd love a lefty version of the bass Duff McKagan plays. Dunno if they were ever made, but I'd imagine they were rare as hen's teeth if so

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rasher80 said:

I do love the look of a 70s Fender, they're definitely my favourite era looks-wise.

I can't remember the exact model, but I'd love a lefty version of the bass Duff McKagan plays. Dunno if they were ever made, but I'd imagine they were rare as hen's teeth if so

From what I saw from a dealer last week, you never know what was going on in Fender Japan, there's always some surprises there!