Why become a member? ×

Black Fender Paisley Jazz

thedontcarebear

On 19/08/2020 at 13:00, thedontcarebear said:

Let me know how shoddy you think the gigbag is! haha.

Its... basic.

For reference, it's a basic black polyester gig back with a bit of padding, one pocket that's not deep enough to hold anything other than a cable and some picks, a detachable shoulder strap, and "Fender" screen-printed on it. Nowt fancy.

It's not the worst I've seen. I've got a couple of the kind of "get-you-home" bags made out of a single layer of polyester that music shops'll chuck in for a fiver if you've bought something that doesn't come with a bag.

But also, it's not the best I've seen. I've got better ones in my stash, so don't think I'll be using it to carry the bass around in. 

What do the various levels of Fender generally come with these days? I know the higher-end stuff still comes with cases, and Squiers don't generally come with anything, but what about the mid-range? The other basses I've bought new in recent years have been: Lakland Skyline - very nice Levy's polyester gig-bag, very much a level up from this one, Reverend Wattplower - custom hard-case.

Anyway, the many thing is that I've got the bass and I like it a lot. Pictures will be coming when I get the chance to take them.

I've put the one that came with mine back in the box for storage, and it's living in a Thomann one I have at the moment.  I genuinely would never take a bass out of the house in the included gigbag - I expected it to be of the level of the ones you get with Gibson's tributes etc, which are cheaper guitars.  I will get a hardcase at some point to replace it I think anyway.

On 24/08/2020 at 10:47, sirmuppet said:

I tried the bass out on Sat. Loved it. Still trying to decide between this and the 60th anniversary one. So at the moment I have it put aside. I'm to go in on the 5th and either walk away with the paisley or order the 60th. Decisions...

Nice problem to have!

As promised, some pictures with the guard off. It wasn't the best day for photography, so excuse the yellow cast to them - it's much silverier in real life.

With the guard:

DSC01037.thumb.JPG.d2f6d60745a5badfdaed171ac6b60e64.JPG

No pickguard - the good news is that the pattern extends under it, and the burst follows the edges consistently all the way round:

DSC01031.JPG.33b5fb0db7f7cf545bc401b79564f764.JPG

Clear pickguard that doesn't quite fit right:

DSC01032.JPG.3484dcc335e753a24a8b0f2a27f6aa12.JPG

And for anyone interested, this is what the innards look like - shielding plate, full-size solid-shaft pots:

DSC01033.JPG.9d780d4f52dd5c673eb33d22315702f3.JPG

My personal choice is to keep the original black guard on, but I can see the appeal of guardless/clear.

18 hours ago, wingnutkj said:

As promised, some pictures with the guard off. It wasn't the best day for photography, so excuse the yellow cast to them - it's much silverier in real life.

With the guard:

DSC01037.thumb.JPG.d2f6d60745a5badfdaed171ac6b60e64.JPG

No pickguard - the good news is that the pattern extends under it, and the burst follows the edges consistently all the way round:

DSC01031.JPG.33b5fb0db7f7cf545bc401b79564f764.JPG

Clear pickguard that doesn't quite fit right:

DSC01032.JPG.3484dcc335e753a24a8b0f2a27f6aa12.JPG

And for anyone interested, this is what the innards look like - shielding plate, full-size solid-shaft pots:

DSC01033.JPG.9d780d4f52dd5c673eb33d22315702f3.JPG

My personal choice is to keep the original black guard on, but I can see the appeal of guardless/clear.

Where did you get the clear pickguard from to fit it? I was looking and if yours fits then I may order the same.

On 24/08/2020 at 10:49, BassApprentice said:

I guess this good thing about not being 100% sure about limited edition finishes is that you should be able to pass it on to someone else fairly easily @sirmuppet

Oh, I love them both. It's just which to get. It's a 40th present so I'm unsure which to go with. Either way it won't be getting passed on later down the line (that I know of, lol).

I can't remember where I got the pickguard from - I've had it for years, and wasn't entirely unsurprised that it didn't match up. It's quite a different shape to the stock one - I think it might have been based on whatever was standard in the 90s/00s, and this bass is basically a '75 Reissue (3-bolt microtilt neck with bullet, 70s bridge pickup position).

Gotcha. No worries. Looks like it fits well but if it's not an exact match then I'll maybe order the one I was looking at. Good to know from your pics that it's like that under the guard. I may very well opt for a sans-guard look like I did on my Geddy a while ago. 

8 hours ago, sirmuppet said:

Gotcha. No worries. Looks like it fits well but if it's not an exact match then I'll maybe order the one I was looking at.

Send your existing PG to this fella in Glasgow and he'll make you a clear plate.

Brian's a good lad and his turnaround is fast.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/earlpilanz

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

Send your existing PG to this fella in Glasgow and he'll make you a clear plate.

Brian's a good lad and his turnaround is fast.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/earlpilanz

Yeah, I spoke to him prviously about doing soemthing for me that I ended up not going down that route. Seemed a nice guy to speak with. Only problem was that he could do what I wanted but not the the finish I wanted as he didn't stock it. He does Japan guards but not in clear. Suppose if he has clear in other he can do but may ask him first before going anywhere else.

7 hours ago, sirmuppet said:

Suppose if he has clear in other he can do but may ask him first before going anywhere else.

Oh he definitely had material for clear plates.

Start of August I told an American lad to contact Brian regarding a clear plate for his Blue Flower P-bass, I'd handed mine over for the template.

10 days later American lad was back in touch saying thanks, turned out even with delivery and exchange rates Brian's was cheaper than Pickguardian & Pickguard Planet. Added bonus was his plate took just 8 days to arrive instead of the 8 weeks quoted by the other 2 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

Oh he definitely had material for clear plates.

Start of August I told an American lad to contact Brian regarding a clear plate for his Blue Flower P-bass, I'd handed mine over for the template.

10 days later American lad was back in touch saying thanks, turned out even with delivery and exchange rates Brian's was cheaper than Pickguardian & Pickguard Planet. Added bonus was his plate took just 8 days to arrive instead of the 8 weeks quoted by the other 2 👍

Nice. If I get the bass and go down the route of a clear guard I will 100% be using him.

If I remember I actually got him to make me a cover for the battery compartment on a Mex deluxe. I traced it and made a vector file and sent it to him. Think he also did my control cover on my B@starbird Bass. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...