Why become a member? ×

Black Fender Paisley Jazz

thedontcarebear

42 minutes ago, andytoad said:

I like it, but would not pay a premium. So don't like it that much!😀

You don't need to pay a premium. If a few people on here are ordering then just wait 2 or 3 months and they'll be popping up in the classifieds for two thirds of that price. 😉

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Maude said:

You don't need to pay a premium. If a few people on here are ordering then just wait 2 or 3 months and they'll be popping up in the classifieds for two thirds of that price. 😉

I'd put money on them being more than they cost in the first place if they appear for sale!

On 12/07/2020 at 14:14, Grahambythesea said:

Is that the James Burton Signature model which is really cool. Apparently when he got his pink paisley tele, Elvis was rather rude about it! Given some of the outfits The King wore one might think pink paisley was quite subdued.

Nah but I know the one you mean, has a bit of red in it too doesn't it? The one I have is a black Pasiley that Fender did about 8-9 years ago. Basically this one though I've replaced the bridge with a vintage style and put vintage style Seymours in it https://reverb.com/p/fender-fsr-black-paisley-telecaster-black-paisley-2012

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

It will be the same scenario as the Flea ‘61 - IMHO 😎

Thats what I was thinking, when that came out everyone went out and got one. Then there was a rash of selling them, however most people still sold them for quite a bit, and as it was just before Br*xit, shortly afterwards people were selling them for quite a bit more. 

Still waiting for them to get down to geddy lee jazz prices, although that has been going up too.

On 13/07/2020 at 15:58, lou24d53 said:

I dont know why you would get a lovely finish like that then hide half the body with a big muckle black pick guard. That finish deserves to be seen fully. I think the black guard completely takes away from the look personally.

Me too. I'll be either getting a matching paisley guard or a transparent one with a black bloom around the pickup to hide thr route. Might even go sans guard if the route is decent. 

• Like 1

I've told this story before but Brad Paisley who is a big Americana/Country star wanted a Pink Paisley Tele. He  got CMI (Chicago Music Instruments) to source him an old battered painted black Tele and being a big star it sat in his guitar room for a few months when he was on Tour. On return he then gave it to his Luthier to convert which was going to be a big and involved job. Luthier looked at the finish and realised it was not original Black so did a test strip which revealed an original PInk Paisley finish below. Still took a lot of work to reveal it but many of the Pink Paisley guitars were overpainted when 'Hippies' fell out of fashion in the 80's.

Some Americans think the Paisley pattern Guitars and Basses are a reference to Brad, but we ( and especially the Scots), know better!

I'm here all week.....

On 16/07/2020 at 20:58, yorks5stringer said:

I've told this story before but Brad Paisley who is a big Americana/Country star wanted a Pink Paisley Tele. He  got CMI (Chicago Music Instruments) to source him an old battered painted black Tele and being a big star it sat in his guitar room for a few months when he was on Tour. On return he then gave it to his Luthier to convert which was going to be a big and involved job. Luthier looked at the finish and realised it was not original Black so did a test strip which revealed an original PInk Paisley finish below. Still took a lot of work to reveal it but many of the Pink Paisley guitars were overpainted when 'Hippies' fell out of fashion in the 80's.

Some Americans think the Paisley pattern Guitars and Basses are a reference to Brad, but we ( and especially the Scots), know better!

I'm here all week.....

Yeah, there is a video on Youtube of him telling that story. Amazing!

On 16/07/2020 at 20:41, thedontcarebear said:

Some of the strats as in the UK now, apparently the order should get to Fender in the UK in mid August, and straight out to shops then to come to us!

My local store have a delivery date of 27th this month for the Strat and Jazz Bass. Honestly can't wait.

5 hours ago, sirmuppet said:

My local store have a delivery date of 27th this month for the Strat and Jazz Bass. Honestly can't wait.

I am hoping for sooner, this came from the dude at Peach guitars after he spoke to Fender.

Edited by thedontcarebear

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/07/2020 at 20:58, yorks5stringer said:

I'm here all week.....

Brad Paisley is fantastic. Go and listen to his stuff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, thedontcarebear said:

I know I am the only person excited about this, but mine is at Peach now and I should have it tomorrow I think!

Not  a bit of it! I always enjoy the vicarious thrill of someone else getting a new bass. 

• Haha 1

For anyone not wanting to invest in a new bass, (Yeah, crazy I know...) Rothko and Frost sell 'Luthitec'  paisley sheets in all colours including black. (apologies is naming a retailer breaches rules) There may be others options, but I happened to stumble across their offerings recently.

Might be an option for converting an existing bass, of doing a paisley body?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, durhamboy said:

For anyone not wanting to invest in a new bass, (Yeah, crazy I know...) Rothko and Frost sell 'Luthitec'  paisley sheets in all colours including black. (apologies is naming a retailer breaches rules) There may be others options, but I happened to stumble across their offerings recently.

Might be an option for converting an existing bass, of doing a paisley body?

Been searching for something to cover a scratchplate paisley. I'll go have a look. Thank you. 

Despite black blocks and maple not being my preferred neck (would have loved pearl & rosewood), I've given in to GAS for one of these. t will be arriving soon. If anyone's interested in seeing what it looks like with a clear pickguard, I'll see what I can do - I've got one somewhere.

And there was me thinking I was doing really well at resisting the GAS-y urge for the 60th Anniversary Jazz.

50 minutes ago, wingnutkj said:

Despite black blocks and maple not being my preferred neck (would have loved pearl & rosewood), I've given in to GAS for one of these. t will be arriving soon. If anyone's interested in seeing what it looks like with a clear pickguard, I'll see what I can do - I've got one somewhere.

And there was me thinking I was doing really well at resisting the GAS-y urge for the 60th Anniversary Jazz.

Let me know how shoddy you think the gigbag is! haha.

I love it!!! But it's a bit expensive. The pickups in MIJs aren't always the best (ceramics in the current Traditional series but US alnicos in the Hybrid series). The specs just say "vintage style" with no mention of alnico so I'm guessing they're ceramics. I didn't like the ceramic pickup in my Traditional P very much and replaced it. That MIGHT be an extra cost if you want to bring out the best out of some MIJ Fenders.

The craftsmanship and QC is usually VERY good with MIJs though. With the exception of the ceramic pickups (in some models) I personally think current MIJs are far better and more consistent than current MIAs as long as you don't mind basswood and bog standard hardware without gimmicks like fluted tuning posts etc.