Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot combo

isteen

I gigged one of these for many years, when I got something bigger I put it in my bar where it became the house amp and saw many more years of service. 

Put it this way, bassists who heard it at jam session and gigs always complimented it and even went out and bought themselves one. 

Don't be fooled into thinking it won't be powerful enough for a band. These are loud! Tons of tone options, including the famous Trace preset which divides people. Some (like me) who used it for years  love it, others will explain at great length why it can't possibly work in a band situation. Whichever camp you are in, it's a switch, you don't have to use it. 

Great combos these. 

• Like 4

Best Precision sound I ever got, was out of one of these. Our band supported a Ska band whose bassist owned one that he let me play through. It was pretty loud as well. 

It was only a couple of years ago and was a vintage combo but sounded great.

The sound engineer commented on the sound as well.

I loved it but I didn't try to pick it up. They're darned heavy wee things, or so I've been told :)

• Like 1

I had this exact amp, and kind of regret selling it.

Sounded absolutely fabulous, like most of the old Trace Elliot amps really, and was loud enough to keep up with a drummer and gutarist in a loud and heavy playing rock band, even with the master volume kept below the 12 o'clock position at all times.

The old Trace Elliot solid state amps are known to push a good deal above rated wattage. 

Really sturdy build too, though that reflects in them also being quite heavy weight.  

These old Trace Elliot amps sounds no short of amazing in my opinion, and I kind of ponder on getting one again at some point, or perhaps the new tiny Trace Elliot ELF class D amp instead, which is supposed to actually sound very close to the old classic solid state Trace Elliots. 

Really love the classic Trace Elliot sound, though I should probably add without the mid scooping "Pre Shape" buttons activated.  

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

On 09/07/2020 at 11:16, isteen said:

Would be nice if I could add a 2x10" on top of it, for more power

You might struggle to put it on top.

Trace combos are shallower than their equivalent cabinets (to keep the weight down) The matching cabs are the 2103(h) for 2x10 or 1153 for the 1x15.

The combo and cab combined will give you a ~4Ohm load for the amp stage, and that'll  deliver 280-300wrms. It'll only give about half that into its own driver (8ohm)

Edit - I believe the 2103(h) has the greater power handling  if you intend to "push it"

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

These old Trace Elliot amps sounds no short of amazing in my opinion, and I kind of ponder on getting one again at some point, or perhaps the new tiny Trace Elliot ELF class D amp instead, which is supposed to actually sound very close to the old classic solid state Trace Elliots. 

Been looking at that Elf, too! I have heard nothing but good things about it, but have doubts it will be loud enough

Edited by isteen
  • Like 1

I had the 2x10" version of this which was the 7210SM which would make this a 715SM. I think the name refers to what's in it, in your case 7 band EQ, 15inch speaker and the SM preamp

I used mine with a full size 4x10" and, as mentioned previously, the combos are slimmer than the cabs so it looks fine from the front but a little odd from the back.

It was heavy but together with the cab it was really loud. I was a young lad of about 19 so the weight wasn't an issue and it looked very manly to be standing in front of it 😛

Edited by Delberthot

Hi, 

I have the GP7SM 150 head and run it through my Mark Bass 15"speaker. I also own a Darkglass Microtubes 900. My Blues band mates usually prefer the sound from the Trace Elliot and at home, when I want to practice I find myself gravitating towards the Trace Elliot most of the times, specially if I'm playing flatwounds. It sounds really really great and the EQ is so useful. 

Hope this helps. 

On 11/07/2020 at 10:07, Delberthot said:

I used mine with a full size 4x10" and, as mentioned previously, the combos are slimmer than the cabs so it looks fine from the front but a little odd from the back.

😛

Probably designed that way on purpose, so that in the days of excess in the 80s bassists could have lines of coke on-stage on the back ledge, ready & waiting.

• Haha 1

I gigged one of these for years. It served me well for those years. I could say the following pluses and minuses with regard to it:

Pros

• Very well made, pretty much indestructible and never let me down on a gig.
  • Loud considering its wattage (although it says 130, it would be what modern manufacturers consider to be 260/300 watts). It was basically fine for small-medium pub gigs - but struggled at larger venues, although this isn't really a criticism as the 250/400/500 model would cover those.
  • Versatile EQ section with lots of tone shaping options - you should be able to make any bass cut through the mix.
  • These days they're really cheap.

Cons

• Really heavy by modern standards. I could lift it by myself but it was pretty uncomfortable.
  • It's a very coloured amp. If you love the sound of the Trace Elliot presets, then you'll love the the tone. If you want something transparent, this will not be for you.
  • I guess connected to the last point is the issue that the flat tone of the amp without any presets/graphic EQ is really quite poor in my opinion. Thin, nasal, and bland would be words that spring to mind. It's almost like they designed it that way - to make you go 'wow, that's cool' when you engage the presets/graphic.

If you can get it for a decent price (don't pay more than £100), then go for it - it's worth a try for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Belka said:

I gigged one of these for years. It served me well for those years. I could say the following pluses and minuses with regard to it:

Pros

• Very well made, pretty much indestructible and never let me down on a gig.
  • Loud considering its wattage (although it says 130, it would be what modern manufacturers consider to be 260/300 watts). It was basically fine for small-medium pub gigs - but struggled at larger venues, although this isn't really a criticism as the 250/400/500 model would cover those.
  • Versatile EQ section with lots of tone shaping options - you should be able to make any bass cut through the mix.
  • These days they're really cheap.

Cons

• Really heavy by modern standards. I could lift it by myself but it was pretty uncomfortable.
  • It's a very coloured amp. If you love the sound of the Trace Elliot presets, then you'll love the the tone. If you want something transparent, this will not be for you.
  • I guess connected to the last point is the issue that the flat tone of the amp without any presets/graphic EQ is really quite poor in my opinion. Thin, nasal, and bland would be words that spring to mind. It's almost like they designed it that way - to make you go 'wow, that's cool' when you engage the presets/graphic.

If you can get it for a decent price (don't pay more than £100), then go for it - it's worth a try for sure. 

Agree on all your points, except this:

I guess connected to the last point is the issue that the flat tone of the amp without any presets/graphic EQ is really quite poor in my opinion. Thin, nasal, and bland would be words that spring to mind. It's almost like they designed it that way - to make you go 'wow, that's cool' when you engage the presets/graphic.

Absolutely not true in any possible way!!!

... Well, as far as I am concerned at least.

To me this amp has a very full and meaty, yet really clear and punchy tone when set flat, and that goes for most of these old Trace Elliot amps really, in fact back when I owned this exact amp it was the absolute best bass tone I ever had (mind with some relatively insignificant minor adjustments of the build in graphic EQ, but essentially pretty much used flat), and I still regret selling it and ponder on getting another old Trace Elliot amp at some point.

Personally even prefer it over the Ampeg B-15S 60W tube amp I also owned at some point, even if that no doubt was an amazing sounding amp as well, just in a completely different way.

Also I for one absolutely hated the 2 terribly horrific and obnoxious sounding mid scooping pre-shape presets that you could activate on that Trace Elliot.

Might in fact be the only truly bad thing I have to say about this amp, well beside it's monstrous weight, but hey, just don't activate the pre-shapes ever and you'll have an absolutely truly amazing sounding amp.

No one ever sounded good with the mids scooped out of their tone, and that goes for both bass players and guitarists, in my opinion at least.

I agree though that this amp isn't exactly anywhere near transparent but does add quite a bit of coloration to your tone, though I have a hard time imagining anyone not liking what it does to your tone, but apparently people who don't does exist, as the above quote from your post should be proof of. 

I for one absolutely love it. 

Also kind of doesn't agree that it won't be worth more than 100£, I mean they do go for quite cheap these days, and it would definitely be stupid to pay much more than what they typically go for for sure, but to me at least these old Trace Elliot amps are really worth much more than what they typically go for, some of the absolute best amps ever made, and the only issue they really got, as far as I am concerned, compared to today's standards is their ridiculous heavy weight, in every other aspect they are superior to most more modern amps on the market today, and certainly compared to similar priced amps.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

No one ever sounded good with the mids scooped out of their tone, and that goes for both bass players and guitarists, in my opinion at least.

Hey - I sound awesome with the mid scoop button in.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Agree on all your points, except this:

Absolutely not true in any possible way!!!

... Well, as far as I am concerned at least.

To me this amp has a very full and meaty, yet really clear and punchy tone when set flat, and that goes for most of these old Trace Elliot amps really, in fact back when I owned this exact amp it was the absolute best bass tone I ever had (mind with some relatively insignificant minor adjustments of the build in graphic EQ, but essentially pretty much used flat), and I still regret selling it and ponder on getting another old Trace Elliot amp at some point.

Personally even prefer it over the Ampeg B-15S 60W tube amp I also owned at some point, even if that no doubt was an amazing sounding amp as well, just in a completely different way.

Also I for one absolutely hated the 2 terribly horrific and obnoxious sounding mid scooping pre-shape presets that you could activate on that Trace Elliot.

Might in fact be the only truly bad thing I have to say about this amp, well beside it's monstrous weight, but hey, just don't activate the pre-shapes ever and you'll have an absolutely truly amazing sounding amp.

I agree though that this amp isn't exactly anywhere near transparent but does add quite a bit of coloration to your tone, though I have a hard time imagining anyone not liking what it does to your tone, but apparently people who don't does exist, as the above quote from your post should be proof of. 

I for one absolutely love it. 

Also kind of doesn't agree that it won't be worth more than 100£, I mean they do go for quite cheap these days, and it would definitely be stupid to pay much more than what they typically go for for sure, but to me at least these old Trace Elliot amps are really worth much more than what they typically go for, some of the absolute best amps ever made, and the only issue they really got, as far as I am concerned, compared to today's standards is their ridiculous heavy weight, in every other aspect they are superior to most more modern amps on the market today, and certainly compared to similar priced amps.

To be fair I did say 'in my opinion', although yours as a fellow user of the amp is just as valid. I still maintain that it sounded bland and nasal to me, but my 'bland and nasal' could be your 'clear and punchy'. You did actually say that you used the graphic EQ with some minor adjustments, so that wouldn't be the flat tone either. The tone with the graphic EQ engaged, even if the sliders were set flat, was still beefier than the tone with nothing engaged.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the presets myself; I would use the graphic EQ more for tonal adjustment, although I do think the presets could sound good if used in the right applications. Also, although the first preset was the classic Trace Elliot mid cut, the second one actually provided a low mid boost. 

I neither loved it nor hated it to be honest. I'm certainly glad I had it back then; there wasn't the choice you get now and it certainly served me well. However, I'm not going to let nostalgia for my lost youth make me think it's somehow the holy grail of amplification (not saying that about you, but I do think this phenomenon exists). If you love the Trace tone and nothing else will do, it may be for you, and that's great, but I would never consider that they are at all superior to modern amps. Amplification has come on a lot in the last 30 years and there is so much choice out there now. I still stand by my comment regarding price; it's a supply and demand thing - if the value of these goes up, which it might, then by all means pay what you think it's worth, but at present, if someone has a budget of more than £100, they would be better off going for a model with more power, or a separate head/speaker stack.  

3 hours ago, Alec said:

Heavy - that is all...

I remember trying out amps at the Bass centre way back and I was looking around 100w ish and I remember loving the tone of the Trace Elliot Commando amp but compared to the other amps of the same kind of power it was like lifting a suitcase full of lead