Why become a member? ×

Rock Songs with Non Standard Time Signatures

PatrickJ

15 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

How does that work?

Psuedo-intellectual bollox, if you ask me ;) 

But I managed to find this:

On a final note, a bar of 4/4, 5/5, 6/6, 7/7, 8/8, 9/9, 145456/145456 all have the same duration - one whole note, one semibreve.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

Not seeing any examples of non-standard. Any time signature with a bottom number of 2, 4, or 8 is pretty standard :ph34r:

So here's an example which has a section in 5/5

Which section is in 5/5?  

I was in a band at university and we wrote a song that was sort of in 9/8. I say sort of, it actually caused the drummer and guitarist to get into a massive fight one night in the pub over whether it could strictly be called 9/8 or not because in music theory 9/8 is supposedly three groups of 3 quavers each. Our song was more like a bar of 3/4 then a bar of 3/8. I didn't really care so carried on drinking my beer.

2 minutes ago, Merton said:

I was in a band at university and we wrote a song that was sort of in 9/8. I say sort of, it actually caused the drummer and guitarist to get into a massive fight one night in the pub over whether it could strictly be called 9/8 or not because in music theory 9/8 is supposedly three groups of 3 quavers each. Our song was more like a bar of 3/4 then a bar of 3/8. I didn't really care so carried on drinking my beer.

To me (a drummer...), 9/8 doesn't impose any grouping per se, but it could well be written that way, and often is. It could also be simply un-accented 9 beats, with no inherent grouping at all and would still be 9/8. It is often more 'readable' to write each part in its own time signature, though, and have alternating bars of 3/4 and 3/8 in the example you give. Some would write as 4/4-5/4, too, instead of 9/4; the difference really is in the intention of the composer rather than any strict 'theory' or 'rules'.
I'll have a lait-fraise if you're buying... :drinks:

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, toneknob said:

Golden Brown, 13/4 - as is Turn It On Again

Before Golden Brown, the Stranglers had another, lesser known, song in 13/4 - "Peasant in the Big $h1tty"

(I think it's 13/4 anyway)

The whole song is pretty weird, not just the time sig... and it is sung by the recently departed Dave Greenfield.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

To me (a drummer...), 9/8 doesn't impose any grouping per se, but it could well be written that way, and often is. It could also be simply un-accented 9 beats, with no inherent grouping at all and would still be 9/8. It is often more 'readable' to write each part in its own time signature, though, and have alternating bars of 3/4 and 3/8 in the example you give. Some would write as 4/4-5/4, too, instead of 9/4; the difference really is in the intention of the composer rather than any strict 'theory' or 'rules'.
I'll have a lait-fraise if you're buying... :drinks:

To me, 9/8 can be interpreted in 2 ways: either as compound 3 time (3 divisions per beat, 3 beats per bar) - which could also be described as swingtime 3 time. Or as a possibly further defined additive thing eg 2+2+2+3.

I've only performed one song in 9/8 (Never Loved a Man) and its clearly 3x3 divisions.

2 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Psuedo-intellectual bollox, if you ask me ;) 

But I managed to find this:

On a final note, a bar of 4/4, 5/5, 6/6, 7/7, 8/8, 9/9, 145456/145456 all have the same duration - one whole note, one semibreve.

Glad you said that 😄

Oh and 5/5 would be a semibreve and a crochet. 

How about Genesys 'Watcher Of The Skies'..? The time signature jumps about a fair bit; one would have trouble nailing it down to any 'simple' signature...

(The stick twirling is optional 9_9 ...)

Edited by Dad3353

5 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Glad you said that 😄

Oh and 5/5 would be a semibreve and a crochet. 

Nope, anything which is n/n will be a semibreve. Think about it.....2/2 4/4 and 8/8 would be. 5/4 would be a semibreve + crotchet in length though.

I do agree that these "irrational time signatures" are basically a load of Balaerics, though. They are simply a different way of writing the same thing, and no clearer either, in the process.

• Like 2

Any drummer getting bored with 'four on the floor' could do worse than having a look at Zappa's 'Black Page' (1 & 2...). Ably demonstrated here, it's all written, to be played as written. The title 'Black Page' comes from the graphic appearance of the drum score...

Edited by Dad3353

I'd been playing Rush's 'Limelight' on and off in bands for a decade, completely oblivious to its time signatures before some biff buttonholed me at a gig to waffle on about the mastery of the interplay between 4/4, 7/4 and 6/4, and how tricky it must be to switch between them. I said 'I dunno, it's just a good song.'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Muzz said:

I'd been playing Rush's 'Limelight' on and off in bands for a decade, completely oblivious to its time signatures before some biff buttonholed me at a gig to waffle on about the mastery of the interplay between 4/4, 7/4 and 6/4, and how tricky it must be to switch between them. I said 'I dunno, it's just a good song.'

That's the skill of bands like Rush and Dream Theater - to play what sounds like 'just a good song' and yet it's complex if you really listen to it.

Disappear - Dream Theater

Tiberius - Smashing Pumpkins

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

How about Genesys 'Watcher Of The Skies'..? The time signature jumps about a fair bit; one would have trouble nailing it down to any 'simple' signature...

As Genesis songs go, it's pretty straight. The Cinema Show has a 7/8 instruemtnal coda; the instrumental of Robbery Assault and Battery is 13/8, Apocalypse in 9/8 is just that (actually 9/4 but never mind) and the Firth of Fifth intro has every time sig under the sun.

12 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

That's the skill of bands like Rush and Dream Theater - to play what sounds like 'just a good song' and yet it's complex if you really listen to it.

Disappear - Dream Theater

Tiberius - Smashing Pumpkins

Rush play in 7 like it's their 4/4. Check our DT's Erotomania for some mopre chewy times - I like the alternating 11/8 and 10/8 sections.

• Like 1