Why become a member? ×

Darkglass Elements headphone amp

Muppet

1 hour ago, Kev said:

So you use a Di with just EQ for recording etc?

I'd experiment with Cabsim for sure if you're not recording from mic'd cabs, there's a lot you're missing out on if you just use DI.

I wouldn't use cab sim for live use to an amp as that defeats the point a little.  But to FoH again I find it invaluable.

If going direct to a board/interface I just prefer the sound of my bass without a cab sim. Unless I’m going for a specific “amped” sound, which would be genre dependent usually

On 10/07/2020 at 17:11, CameronJ said:

If going direct to a board/interface I just prefer the sound of my bass without a cab sim. Unless I’m going for a specific “amped” sound, which would be genre dependent usually

It's funny how you grow used to something, I wouldn't dream of doing that now!  Wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the same thing 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kev said:

It's funny how you grow used to something, I wouldn't dream of doing that now!  Wouldn't it be boring if we all liked the same thing 

I just did a three hour gig this evening. My Darkglass M900 has got cab sims and for the first time ever I switched it in and sent it to the desk. The difference was amazing, especially in my IEMs.  I’m converted. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Muppet said:

I just did a three hour gig this evening. My Darkglass M900 has got cab sims and for the first time ever I switched it in and sent it to the desk. The difference was amazing, especially in my IEMs.  I’m converted. 

Amazing that you've got yourself a gig - very jealous!

What difference were you hearing with the cab sim engaged?

I think I read somewhere that the cab sim is on the DI out and the headphones out? You could try it out and hear for yourself. Not sure which cab sims come preloaded in these heads so you may need to (or want to) load up the Darkglass suite and add some of the available cabs to find your fav or which sounds best for your needs. Only you will know if it’s beneficial for your needs. 

12 hours ago, Muppet said:

Who’s lucky enough to do a gig, let alone a 3 hour gig nowadays!!?

4 minutes ago, Ian McFly said:

Who’s lucky enough to do a gig, let alone a 3 hour gig nowadays!!?

I’m looking forward to gigs again so much so that I want to bring the entire rig even though I’m really looking to downsize to iem only. 

1 hour ago, krispn said:

I think I read somewhere that the cab sim is on the DI out and the headphones out? You could try it out and hear for yourself. Not sure which cab sims come preloaded in these heads so you may need to (or want to) load up the Darkglass suite and add some of the available cabs to find your fav or which sounds best for your needs. Only you will know if it’s beneficial for your needs. 

Yeah fair - it's just that Muppet would have been hearing the difference in the band mix via his IEMs.

As you said, the headphone on the Mk2 DG900s is akin to post DI out i.e. post drive, EQ and cab sims. As folk noted earlier, cab sims are just another tone shaping tool and I think whether they are going to be the right thing is very much "it depends".

Via headphones I found that they indeed take the edge off  - arising from less pronounced mids and more rounded top end and I particularly liked the first of the 3 cab sims which had an Ampeg flavour.  In my little test the cab sims sounded particularly good on clean and with a pick.

It was less good both with finger style or with the drive - the latter interestingly is different to what Ian McFly was saying - but not surprising I guess: different drives are going to give different results, right? Here the less pronounced mids resulted in less clarity / punch. 

So I certainly wouldn't want a cab sim as default for all my material and playing styles; as with any tone shaping it's a "nice to have" for when you want it and the convenience of having it set up and accessible on a pedal board or multifx to kick in when required would be ideal.

But the better test must surely be via the PA and in a band mix - by their nature headphones (and IEMs) are not going to be the same as what our audiences are hearing?

Still not convinced that this DG pedal is going to justify its price tag as a £250 headphone amp, particularly as unlike dannybuoy I don't have any issues hearing my bass through a Zoom B1-4 via my headphones. The Zoom really is an incredibly good value piece of kit.

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, krispn said:

Sounds like an interesting and positive experiment! Be interesting to hear if it’s different with a drive pedal over the inbuilt circuits. 

Remind me - did you not have a neat little amp or cab sim pedal recently, which you moved on. Thoughts?

7 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Amazing that you've got yourself a gig - very jealous!

What difference were you hearing with the cab sim engaged?

It was more rounded, warmer, less sterile both in the FOH but more so in my ears. I’m not overly critical or sensitive normally but I did switch the sim out and then back in and it was really noticeable. The only reason I used it in the first place was out of curiosity after loading in the IRs over lockdown. It was a 3 Sigma Ampeg 810 I think.  

• Thanks 1

Well, if you like that, then you are going to love the pick storage box I just invented.

Depending on the thickness of the picks it can hold up to 10 picks at any given time.

Unfortunately it doesn't have a hip brand name on it, but for just 15 Euro extra you can get your own name engraved by hand.

Here the magnificent wonder box of pick holding is:

cube.jpg

And it can be yours for the ridiculous cheap giveaway price of just 45 Euro.

And in all 100% genuine pure aluminium.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Well, if you like that, then you are going to love the pick storage box I just invented.

Depending on the thickness of the picks it can hold up to 10 picks at any given time.

Unfortunately it doesn't have a hip brand name on it, but for just 15 Euro extra you can get your own name engraved by hand.

cube.jpg

...what?

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

cube.jpg

How much does it weigh?

Unless it is really light I will just wait for the ‘Ultra’ version which will hold 20 picks, Bluetooth connectivity and an ‘aux in’.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, thodrik said:

How much does it weigh?

Unless it is really light I will just wait for the ‘Ultra’ version which will hold 20 picks, blue tooth-pick connectivity and an ‘aux in’.

Fixed.

Edited by Al Krow

I’m a recent convert to cab sim since getting an x ultra and can not wait to to get back in the rehearsal rooms and try it out with the band. The Forrester Monster cab sim in the darkglass suite sounds incredible. 

The element looks amazing, just not sure I can justify it since I’ve already got an ultra pedal with aux in.