Why become a member? ×

The Repair Shop - Bassline Special

Nail Soup

[................. looks up from counter....] Oh, hello there! I'm Nail Soup and I'll be looking after The Repair Shop while Jay Blades is away.
Now don't tell Jay or the BBC, but while I'm here we will run a bassline special.

Do you have a much-loved song but the bass-line needs some attention?
Perhaps the player should have stuck to roots during the verse, maybe an intrusive fill should be polished out... or could simply need a good de-clanking.

Let me know the song................... and what you would like our expert team to do to the bassline.

The Repair Shop.png

• Like 1

I love Hong Kong Garden by Siouxsie and the Banshees... but the stuff the bass does high up on the G string really jars for  me.

It's not so much that we lose the bottom end - that could be part of the texture of the song.

It's that it does not follow the chord change, and seems to randomly stop playing at some points.

On 09/07/2020 at 07:18, JJTee said:

Well I think Dom and Steve will have their work cut out in fabricating a replacement audible bassline for an entire album: ....And Justice For All.

Not being familiar with this album, apparently by the popular beat combo Metallica, I had a listen, and ..............

1. Maybe this is just a collection of some of those bass playalong tracks where the original bass has been removed ?

2. Did they actually have a bass player in attendance whilst making the album???

3. If they did, then the poor guy must have realised he was being given a very, very clear message from the rest of the band when it   was mixed.  😨

I would like to hear the entire Tool catalogue played without effects  and without a plectrum on a Fender Precision strung with flats played through an Ampeg B15.

No, I don’t think it would be an improvement. It would just be amusing.