Why become a member? ×

Which Line 6 delivers ONLY effects

glassmoon

Hey all

As the subject suggests, I'm looking to Line 6 to deliver my effects options, but while the bass world seems to be agog with the HX Stomp of late, I'm not necessarily interested in amp/cab simulations - just effects.

So.... Which unit should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance 

I'd say that the HX Stomp still is the best option. They upgrade and add new effects all the time, you can add IR's, split the signal, add noise gate if you have a single coil bass that hums and what not.

And you still have the option to play without a cab, going directly into the PA or FOH if you want to. And, the footprint is very small. Add a cheap footswitch for a couple of extra buttons and you will not regret it.

If you just want the Effects and not the Amp/Cab modelling, the the HX FX is the one you want.

If you want the Amp/Cab modelling as well, then the HX Stomp/Helix/Helix LT would fit the bill.

Pretty sure that Line6 are updating the HX FX alongside the other Helix models.

@Wiseblood & @Skybone... so you can "turn off" the features you don't need or want to use?  That I did not know :)

A question in terms of tonal colouring - I've owned the first and second "kidney bean" PODs and one of the floorboard models (the model escapes me now) and while I absolutely LOVED the effects, the colouring of my tone, even with everything turned off, was unacceptable. But with the number of HX units I see on people's boards, I'm guessing that Line 6 has sorted that out - yes?

And in advance - massive thanks all

IMO you need to stop thinking that the various effect and amp/cab modules are exact copies of various items and think of them all as "tone-shapers".

Most of the time I don't use any amp or cab sims in my patches (and I'm going straight into the PA with an FRFR speaker for on-stage personal monitoring). When I do have an amp sim in the signal path  it has been chosen because I like the drive sound it produces and therefore it is there as a distortion device rather than an "amp". Quite often it will be a guitar amp too!

That's the great thing about the Helix modules. You're not going to break anything by using something that hasn't been designed for bass as could happen with the actual hardware, at the worst it simply won't sound very good. Therefore you can experiment without any worries.

• Like 3

@glassmoon I won't be going into the technical aspects too much, but you have 6 "blocks" on the HX Stomp that you can use for whatever thing you want. The difference between the Helix and say Helix Pod Go (that might be an option) can be seen here: 

The PodGo is a stand-alone product and have a bigger footprint than the HX Stomp. Both are OK, it depend on your needs, but the HX Stomp is ment to be integrated on a pedalboard, but for bassists it is a great stand-alone as well. 

If you really want to dig into the differences, check out this one:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

IMO you need to stop thinking that the various effect and amp/cab modules are exact copies of various items and think of them all as "tone-shapers".

Most of the time I don't use any amp or cab sims in my patches (and I'm going straight into the PA with an FRFR speaker for on-stage personal monitoring). When I do have an amp sim in the signal path  it has been chosen because I like the drive sound it produces and therefore it is there as a distortion device rather than an "amp". Quite often it will be a guitar amp too!

That's the great thing about the Helix modules. You're not going to break anything by using something that hasn't been designed for bass as could happen with the actual hardware, at the worst it simply won't sound very good. Therefore you can experiment without any worries.

This.

The most success to be had is when it is not viewed as a box of amps and separate FX and separate whatevers. It's just a big jigsaw box of sounds.

If you want to put a cab sim before the amp in the signal chain, then a pedal, then another amp - you can! Probably sound like ar$e, but that's half the fun.

• Like 1

To everyone - you are awesome!!!  Thank you for the input and guidance and advise... now I just need four hundred quid or so and I'm off.  I'm only about £400 short at the moment  -  I need a corporate band gig!!!!

But it looks like I need to look into the HX Stomp a little (size is awesome) and the HX Effects too

If you go for the HX Stomp, remember to get a footswitch. Mosky Dual switch, Rowin Beat loop footswitch or another cheap option to get a couple of extra footswitches.

My pedalboard right now:

brett.jpg

Edit: Just got to mention this: You hook the HX Stomp up to a PC or Mac and set your presets (chain of effects) there, you can have over 100 different presets. I use my extra footswitch to go up and down between the presets I have.

Edited by Wiseblood

If you are on facebook there is a Helix for Bassists group that is a great resource.

You could also download the demo version of Helix Native to your PC and try it out for 14 days too. The sounds are the same - obviously depending on what you plug into. 

• Like 2

You also have Jon Willis page with loads of useful presets you can download and use (this is the BIG difference between the Helix-line and the other lines of Line6, the Helix (HX) community is part of the package). http://drtonelab.com/?fbclid=IwAR3uiuOc7qYz2LIp6w8PVmkfaUa7IzbPNKUn4YH6n_USaIT43Hko_PC028s

I use his Jon Willis live comp when I gig, but also use many of my own presets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wiseblood said:

<If you go for the HX Stomp, remember to get a footswitch. Mosky Dual switch, Rowin Beat loop footswitch or another cheap option to get a couple of extra footswitches.>

is this just for scrolling through patches or does the footswitch serve another purpose?  I have used extra switches before when I had the BOSS GT-10B and that was a win, but not a show stopper.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

If you are on facebook there is a Helix for Bassists group that is a great resource.

You could also download the demo version of Helix Native to your PC and try it out for 14 days too. The sounds are the same - obviously depending on what you plug into. 

That I am doing as we speak (instead of working)

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, glassmoon said:

is this just for scrolling through patches or does the footswitch serve another purpose?

You program what they do. You can use them as extras for whatever you want them to do, effects, tuner/mute (that originally on the 3rd swtich), scroll between presets or whatever. So instead of having 3 switches available you now have 5.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

You program what they do. You can use them as extras for whatever you want them to do, effects, tuner/mute (that originally on the 3rd swtich), scroll between presets or whatever. So instead of having 3 switches available you now have 5.

Sheesh - I need that paying gigs!!!!!!!  new to the country doesn't make for lots of those hahahaha

Thanks for the advise @Wiseblood

2 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

If you go for the HX Stomp, remember to get a footswitch. Mosky Dual switch, Rowin Beat loop footswitch or another cheap option to get a couple of extra footswitches

Interesting, I could definitely use one of these for my Stomp, thanks for the info! I wonder if there are any which have LED switches similar to the switches on the Stomp. Maybe these would require power however.

• Like 1

Just now, glassmoon said:

Out of interest - I know the Stomp uses MIDI, but are the aforementioned foot switches MIDI or 1/4" jack boxes?

Never mind - a google images search cleared that up!  Yay - jack!!!!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, glassmoon said:

Never mind - a google images search cleared that up!  Yay - jack!!!!

It is actually a stereo patch cable (not a regular jack/patch). It is one of these: https://www.thomannmusic.no/ebs_ebs_pcf_dls58_dlx_flat_trs.htm

The Rowin came with one of these, but it was not angeled, so I got me one that was (the same as the one mentioned above).

Edited by Wiseblood

1 hour ago, acidbass said:

Interesting, I could definitely use one of these for my Stomp, thanks for the info! I wonder if there are any which have LED switches similar to the switches on the Stomp. Maybe these would require power however.

If you got the dough you could get one of these and turn the HX Stomp into a real monster: https://tgt11.com/product.html/morningstar-mc6-mkii-midi-controller 

You can program it and it has a display where you could name effects, presets and what not... I went for the cheapo that cost £15 🙂 

Edit: The foot switches do not require power, and have no light....

Edited by Wiseblood

15 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

It is actually a stereo patch cable (not a regular jack/patch). It is one of these: https://www.thomannmusic.no/ebs_ebs_pcf_dls58_dlx_flat_trs.htm

The Rowin came with one of these, but it was not angeled, so I got me one that was (the same as the one mentioned above).

Easy enough :) 

13 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

If you got the dough you could get one of these and turn the HX Stomp into a real monster: https://tgt11.com/product.html/morningstar-mc6-mkii-midi-controller 

You can program it and it has a display where you could name effects, presets and what not... I went for the cheapo that cost £15 🙂 

Do they accept legs as payment, or excess body fat perhaps?  Damn, that is waaaaaaaaaaaay lots of money right there

• Haha 1