Why become a member? ×

I know I’m late to the party!

Baxlin

I’ve spent most of today on YouTube having searched for ‘bass backing tracks’, and really enjoyed playing along with some old tunes, some jazzy, some I’d often wanted to know the chords etc to.

Most probably everyone else on here has been doing this for years as a way of getting the practice in,  and improving their technique, exploring new progressions etc, but it’s something I’ve never done before.  I particularly liked playing along to Georgia on my Mind.

I connected the headphone socket of my iPad to one input of my practice amp, and the bass into the other, and so easily ‘lost’ a couple of hours......

As I said, not new, but new to me, and a great way to spend a rainy day. 🤫

• Like 4

YouTube is my go to practice site. The only problem is is that I inevitably go down the rabbit hole of following all the suggestions. Next rehearsal I hear, "Did you learn so & so?" "No, but I have learn to play six completly unrelated songs!" 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Ray said:

I spent around 2 hours the other day on YouTube just playing along to different versions of Georgia On My Mind.

Lovely song, it's always been on our playlist both as a vocal and an instrumental. I think I play it differently every time as we meander through the verses.

• Like 1

‘Georgia’  is one of those songs I love, but my nightmare when someone gets up to sing. My brain always reverts to the Ray Charles version, but depending on who I’m playing with, other musicians sometimes seem to play different arrangements. This can result in car crash passing / ‘wrong’ chords, with players from a jazz background in particular wanting to make it far more complicated than it needs to be for some reason. 

Edited by casapete
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, casapete said:

‘Georgia’  is one of those songs I love, but my nightmare when someone gets up to sing. My brain always reverts to the Ray Charles version, but depending on who I’m playing with, other musicians sometimes seem to play different arrangements. This can result in car crash passing / ‘wrong’ chords, with players from a jazz background in particular wanting to make it far more complicated than it needs to be for some reason. 

Always have the music in front of me but yes I keep it simple and melancholy.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, grandad said:

Always have the music in front of me but yes I keep it simple and melancholy.

Simple and melancholy is good for me too,  though I rarely have the music in front of me....😄

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, casapete said:

‘Far more complicated than it needs to be’ could be the entry for Jazz In the Oxford English Dictionary.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

If YouTube's recommendations don't float your boat, try Spotify.

A great way to keep on your toes during these Lockdown / post-Lockdown / social distancing days is to set up a random playlist and see whether or not you can hack it ... can you keep up with every song that comes into your headphones, like it or not, know it or not.

And every now and then you discover a great track you didn't know about.

• Like 1