Why become a member? ×

New Studio PC

cheddatom

I have a small studio, and I've had the same computer for about 7 years now. I built it myself and it's rock solid. I run Cubase 6 on Windows 7. My interface is a MOTU 24/IO with the relevant PCI card. The system doesn't struggle with anything I've ever done, so I don't need to upgrade, but I'd like to upgrade to Windows 10 and Cubase 10, and I might as well get a new system at the same time. I figure I could build one for around £900 or buy pre-made for about £1700 E.G https://www.scan.co.uk/products/3xs-fa9i-audio-workstation-intel-core-i9-10900k-32gb-ddr4-500gb-ssd-2tb-win-10

My concerns are regarding the interface. I'm not sure that the PCI card will be compatible with a modern motherboard. I'm also not sure if this interface is so out-dated I should abandon it. I don't see any other interfaces with 24 IO, they all require additional ADAT boxes or the like. I've read a few threads on Gear Slutz etc but they're all so specific to their individual needs

If you were kitting out a studio for 24 channel in and out on Cubase 10, Windows 10, what would you do?

Then AFAICS you need to upgrade your MotU PCI card to the 424 PCIe and you should be fine.

I did this on my (Mac) system when I moved from a Graphite Power Mac 400 to a MacPro about 10 years ago. The upgrade process was fairly painless and although it was pricy, not as much as buying a brand new card and I didn't even have to return my old one (which was an original PCI 324 card).

59 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

I think it might work in one of the PCIe x16 slots

...but your opinion is to keep the MOTU 24IO rather than buy a modern interface?

It's 24bit with a sampling rate of up to 96kHz. What extra features from a more modern interface would you want?

Until I got rid of all my studio equipment a couple of years ago I was still running 2408 Mk1 interface into a 424 PCI card and it was doing everything I needed.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Thanks 1