Why become a member? ×

Warwick GPS Streamer LX 4 info/experience.

danbanbass

It doesn't look like anyone with direct experience is going to chip in so... I have the Korean built version, with German electrical bits and it's beyond excellent.  It's a PJ setup.

The Korean version has a cherry body and rosewood fretboard.  It has a great growly tone.  I would say it's the equal of the German built LX4 I owned a good few years ago, and less than half the price.

The GPS won't be worse than my KPS surely?  If that's correct, it'll be outstanding.

Frank.

I had a German Warwick Streamer LX around 2007ish. Components, build, looks, all outstanding. Am sure you will be getting something similar in terms of feel. In terms of sound I struggled with the 2 band EQ at the time but I'd not had a bass of that quality or active EQ before, so it was most likely user error. I still can't get on with 2 band EQ but find 3 band really intuitive, so I am the problem! Gorgeous looking and feeling bass though, it's one I wish I'd persevered with, if anything just for the job of waxing it regularly. 

I have a 2003 Streamer LX5, but I don't feel it's totally representative for a newer GPS LX. Mine has a lacquer finish instead of oil, and still has an ovangkol neck which is quite... hefty, to say the least. Newer basses have slimmer necks. It's a lovely bass though, and I have big hands so the neck profile is no problem for me. It has been my main bass in a metal band for a couple of years and worked brilliantly there: bright, tight and gnarly with a very solid bottom (but a bit of a mid-scoop). The 5-string version has two J pickups rather than the PJ 4-string, so there will be a tonal difference. 

I’m certainly torn over the lx 4 & cv 4.

The appeal of the Warwick cv is it’s a jazz type bass but without the offset body to contend with.

I've always been a Fender guy yet the jazz bass body doesn’t really work for me.

The same with USA Precision’s, everything’s great apart from the neck profile which is a little larger than I prefer, I did look around for a used US Jazz bass neck but ultimately they are either overpriced or few and far between. Because of this I’ve started looking elsewhere to see who else caters for this area.

I also saw G&L did the JB-2 which looks to be the ticket yet the Us versions again are quite uncommon too and never in Europe or the uk plus I don’t fancy importing one either.

The Lx took my fancy even though it’s a PJ configuration rather than JJ as I’ve seen a finish I really like in the LX range so was after some opinions.