Why become a member? ×

Great bass playing on live albums

Crawford13

Hi all! First post, so forgive me for jumping straight in here, but Oteil Burbridge on this is everything I aspire to be as a bassist. Check out "Uptight" - makes me my happiest every time! He's great on everything, as is everyone on this record;

https://open.spotify.com/album/2U7PtD3lqcSSVSZ4g875ki?si=1jGQsfCMSsmiWVuv--zFCg

• Like 3

The Stranglers Live X-Cert

J J Burnel's bass on the track 'Straighten Out' is killer.  It was the first track on one side of the LP and I played that to death when I bought it in 1979.  Its a much better version than the studio version, which was a B-side, I think.

18 hours ago, inthedoghouse said:

I always loved Mel Schacher's driving bass on this great live album

Wow, I've never seen anyone mention Grand Funk/Mel Schacher ever before! I'm actually a massive GFR fan, I bought all their albums on vinyl back in the 80s. I think that Mel is a real kick-donkey bassist, my fave moment of his being the extended bass solo on I come Tumblin which was probably quite a rare/innovative thing for a rock album back in '71.

Glad to see that someone else here appreciates the man!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Angel said:

Wow, I've never seen anyone mention Grand Funk/Mel Schacher ever before! I'm actually a massive GFR fan, I bought all their albums on vinyl back in the 80s. I think that Mel is a real kick-donkey bassist, my fave moment of his being the extended bass solo on I come Tumblin which was probably quite a rare/innovative thing for a rock album back in '71.

Great!  I've never seen them mentioned on here before either.  They seemed to have slipped under the radar for some reason.  I love Mel's pumping, driving sound, especially on the live album.  I've got all the albums.  I well remember that solo on Tumblin' 🙂

Back in the day our local-ish band who almost, and should have made it, Strife, had a bass player who was a huge influence on me - Gordon Rowley.  I'm still in touch with two of the band and their roadie although the band has long since gone.  Ssdly, Gordon has had very serious health issues for years.  They were a wonderful live band, probably not a million miles from Grand Funk in style.

There was an extended bass solo one of their albums.  Not to everybody's taste on here though, I'm sure.

And they usually finished with this - here's a live version.  I loved the sound he got with Orange amps and a Precision

Edited by inthedoghouse
Typo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Angel said:

We have Are You Ready in our setlist for the classic rock pubs. They love it. The sex on fire brigade just look blank.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jacko said:

We have Are You Ready in our setlist for the classic rock pubs. They love it. The sex on fire brigade just look blank.

Awesome! 🙂   I was in a covers band a few years ago where I wanted to start the set with Are You Ready, but I couldn't even get it included in the set.  It was a Sex on Fire type band and I didn't stay very long.

15 hours ago, jacko said:

Are you ready on the first GFR live album is a ripping track! I love it when the guitar solo comes in. If I was going to play a GFR track live I'd love it to be Black Licorice, the live version of that is an amazing song!

• Like 1

On 09/07/2020 at 08:47, Rich said:

John Edwards on Judie Tzuke's "Road Noise". Great playing & a lovely snappy Alembic tone.

On 09/07/2020 at 09:10, Piers_Williamson said:

That was before he discovered his inner 'Quo' then?

My.mind.is.blown.

I loved the Road Noise album, but to be honest cared little for who the backing band are/were...I would never in a thousand years seen any correlation between two bands.  Blimey!

On 09/07/2020 at 03:44, scottydowntown_bass said:

Hi all! First post, so forgive me for jumping straight in here, but Oteil Burbridge on this is everything I aspire to be as a bassist. Check out "Uptight" - makes me my happiest every time! He's great on everything, as is everyone on this record;

https://open.spotify.com/album/2U7PtD3lqcSSVSZ4g875ki?si=1jGQsfCMSsmiWVuv--zFCg

Fabulous album. Sad when Oteil left but saw them at the Palladium with Brandon Boone on bass and they were still great.

1 hour ago, toneknob said:

You see, this is exactly why I can't bear to listen to 'funk' or, even worse, 'disco' for more than a few minutes (often much less...). True splendour, and very, very powerful 'live'; we (the audience...) are transported into higher planes by the sheer sonic experience. Top-notch stuff, and kudos for all the participants in these extravaganzas; they're the cream of the cream. B|

Edited by Dad3353

Steve Swallow on John Scofield Trio's live album Enroute. Understated class throughout (great solo from 6:28 onwards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a0wlCc_G0Y

The Great One John Paul Jones all over the How the West was Won live album (sorry for the predictability of this choice but undeniable nonetheless).

Roy Mitchell-Cardenas on Mutemath's Armistice Live album (flatwounds and a pick!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajod0IL0Pa0

44 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

You see, this is exactly why I can't bear to listen to 'funk' or, even worse', 'disco' for more than a few minutes (often much less...). True splendour, and very, very powerful 'live'; we (the audience...) are transported into higher planes by the sheer sonic experience. Top-notch stuff, and kudos for all the participants in these extravaganzas; they're the cream of the cream. B|

I saw Magma last year, and they played Hhai/Zombies after the hour-long opening number (a medley of the greatest hits of the Theusz Hamthaak trilogy). Incredible, and transcendant and cathartic as you say.

• Like 2

All of my fav live albums have already been mentioned.

Special spot for Judie Tzuke tho. I had no idea that was the same bassist with Quo. Not sure why i never knew that.

She has such a wonderful voice. 

I need to buy that live album now.

Dave

42 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

All of my fav live albums have already been mentioned.

Special spot for Judie Tzuke tho. I had no idea that was the same bassist with Quo. Not sure why i never knew that.

She has such a wonderful voice. 

I need to buy that live album now.

Dave

I took photos of Judie Tzuke and Rhino with his Alembic in about 1983, and then saw him about 30 years later with a Status and Quo (if you see what I mean) at the O2.  I guess you would have to call him a versatile player 😃

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Piers_Williamson said:

I took photos of Judie Tzuke and Rhino with his Alembic in about 1983, and then saw him about 30 years later with a Status and Quo (if you see what I mean) at the O2.  I guess you would have to call him a versatile player 😃

Just ordered that album. I have a couple of her other studio albums. I bought I Am The Phoenix in 1981 when it came out and few yrs back i bought Moon on a Mirrorball Best of album.

Wish i had seen her live back in 80's.

Dave