Why become a member? ×

Great bass playing on live albums

Crawford13

8 minutes ago, Oopsdabassist said:

Jim Lea on Slade Alive, he plays bass like its a lead guitar!!

Great choice!

That was the first album I ever owned as a kid - one listen and I was never the same again!

Jim Lea is still one of my favourite bass players/musicians. Him and Don Powell were dead cool as well..! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Angel said:

One of my very favourite live albums: Iona Heaven's bright sun, bass player Phil Barker

Great band, and great bass player. Saw them live once at a venue near me in the Netherlands when Phil put me on the guest list to pick up a bass I bought from him on eBay (a lefty Stingray 5 in a spectacular Amber Redburst sparkle finish that I have since traded for a Status S2 Classic 5-string). He also got me the DVD of Live in London that features that bass extensively. 

3 hours ago, Angel said:

One of my very favourite live albums: Iona Heaven's bright sun, bass player Phil Barker

Also Steve Hackett - the Tokyo tapes. I was surprised when I found out that John Wetton was the bass player, in my mind I had him down as a singer who did a bit of bass, but I really like his playing on this album.

Not a live album but John Wetton’s bass playing on ‘Providence’ from King Crimson’s Red album blew me away when I first heard it. 

2 hours ago, Oopsdabassist said:

Me too, got it in '72 at tender age of 12, the heady days of reading the liner notes, listening to the whole album at full welly, blew my tiny mind lol!!

Pretty much same here (aged 10!) - had it as a Christmas present.

Again, read all of the inner cover and scrutinised every word!

At the time the burp during Darling Be Home Soon was the best thing ever, and now I just think, “oh Noddy, why on earth did you do that?”!

Probably much to Blue’s annoyance, they were my Beatles moment..! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oopsdabassist said:

Jim Lea on Slade Alive, he plays bass like its a lead guitar!!

You beat me to it.  I never tire of listening to this album. A great example of when to support the song and when to drive it along. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Angel said:

I was surprised when I found out that John Wetton was the bass player, in my mind I had him down as a singer who did a bit of bass, but I really like his playing on this album.

Whaaaa! UK and Red - Hello!

Anyway back to the OP: Mr Squire of the stripey suite and triple-neck: Yessongs/Yesshows

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

I'd like to add "Live at the Fillmore" by Dredg from 2006. It freatures the late Chi Cheng of Deftones on bass, and it sounds huge.

https://open.spotify.com/album/1ce8zYkHxxTuCx0SdEnw9k?autoplay=true  

Never heard of them, but will give it a listen - I had Saturday Night Wrist on yesterday and was thinking how good the bass sounded.

I'll also suggest these with Nick Beggs and Martin Mendez on bass respectively

https://open.spotify.com/album/6pOqXZvUYdDkobapwQVEDE?si=VLXWUBqKQ4mLns8toVudyw

https://open.spotify.com/album/3U9TW9thOm1cyLBD0NEy3s?si=t1_W7BLrQKSiWKfhJ1RbFw

I was there for the Opeth show, was a brilliant gig

3 minutes ago, 40hz said:

Flea on Red Hot Chili Peppers ' Live in Hyde Park'. I was there! The intro track is what got me hooked on Modulus.

I wish that was on Spotify

Edit: Just bought the CD on Amazon

Edited by Graham