Why become a member? ×

Great bass playing on live albums

Crawford13

https://open.spotify.com/track/1GLeSb7JwiSuIsXdrirkmU?si=l9kqcwptQ4Gm59jdLpzOeg

With the absence of real live music I thought it would be a good idea to share live albums that have great bass playing, or maybe we just love them. 

I'll start us off with John Mayer's first live album Any Given Thursday. David LaBruyere's playing on this album is absolutely top notch, and as for John Mayer I could listen to him play all day.  I think the album highlight is Covered in Rain. 

https://youtu.be/O3MICvgXvHM

41 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I’d add Mayer’s ‘Where The Light Is’, you get De La and Pino!

Very true that's a phenomenal album, started with Any Given Thursday as I think De La is underrated and lots of people haven't heard his playing before, but love Pino too! 

19 minutes ago, MrCrane said:

Another vote here for Bless Its Pointed Little Head

Also

Dee Murray on Elton John's "17-11-70"

Kenny Gradney on Little Feat's "Waiting For Columbus"

Rod Clements on Lindisfarne's "Magic In The Air"

Listened to 17-11-70 again the other day; Dee Murray, what a player.

• Like 2

'Karma to Burn', the live album by the Waterboys, has Steve Walters on bass. He plays Jazz Bass on it (previous bassists have mostly played P basses with the band). And he adds a slicker, improvisational approach to many of the songs.

He and the drummer on the album, Carlos Hercules, previously played with George Michael.

This is the first track, somebody is slightly out of tune, It may be Steve?

Anything live by Little Feat, Ry Cooder, The Band, Edgar Winter's White Trash, Keb Mo, Delbert McClinton, Bonnie Raitt, BB King, John Hyatt, The Eagles and Eric Clapton. There are so many more. IMO a good band playing on a live album is the pinnacle of recording.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, obbm said:

I've always like Carl Radle's bass lines on Delaney and Bonnies "On Tour with Eric Clapton" recorded live at Fairfield Halls, Croydon.

Great album!

I often feel Carl Radle was overlooked by many during his relatively short career - he died at 37, tragic.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, casapete said:

I often feel Carl Radle was overlooked by many during his relatively short career - he died at 37, tragic.

Also bass player on the Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour, a fantastic live double album.

• Like 2

One of my very favourite live albums: Iona Heaven's bright sun, bass player Phil Barker

Also Steve Hackett - the Tokyo tapes. I was surprised when I found out that John Wetton was the bass player, in my mind I had him down as a singer who did a bit of bass, but I really like his playing on this album.

• Like 1

David Bowie’s ‘David Live’ album often gets panned in terms of the overall live experience (I happen to love it and it was a big part of my bass education when it came out in the 70s), but Herbie Flowers is (unsurprisingly) superb on it. Rocky, funky, groovy whilst always supporting the songs. It’s been one of my ‘go to’ play-along albums over the years.

Andy Fraser on Free Live is one I forgot to mention.

And someone turned me onto Gerald Johnson’s playing with Steve Miller a few years back - there’s a live Steve Miller titled Shake Your Tree (a radio broadcast from 1973) that really showcases Gerald Johnson’s playing. A bit of an ‘under the radar’ one but well worth checking out nonetheless... 

• Like 2

Rob Wright on Live and Cuddly 😳. Honoured to have seen Nomeansno several times between 1989 and 2007. One of the greatest bands ever to have graced this planet IMHO. Top draw musicians, top draw message and top drawer all round lovely blokes. I miss them now they have called it a day.

Just listen to the first track for some incredible bass playing and the legendary tightness of the band. I know it will not be everyones Cup of tea, but wow.