Why become a member? ×

Can You help me to find out if it’s a fake PB?

Adrics

Hi guys, I’m about to buying this Fender USA PB. The owner has published it as a ‘71. He has good reputation but who knows. He also said there is no SN all over the bass, only in that peace of metal, but no other places (only on mics)

The pickguard was replaced for a gold one (he said it was an original fender pickguard), the coverings are lost, no papers, no hardshell. Pots replaced for darzio. He said that it was a fretless and an US’s luthier add them.

price is over 2700 dollars

i don’t wanna throw away my money that’s I ask you for help. Thanks a lot

pics: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=622558805306759&id=100026579349153

Th pictures are limited. Photos of the pickups, pots,  neck and neck pocket would help,  but it looks on the face of it to be genuine. The pickguard is not original, the knobs are not original. The serial number is where I would expect it and checks as a 1971. I can't tell if the frets have been added

More detailed photos as I mentioned would help but it seems real enough Ask your seller if he can take the bass apart.  I'd say based on UK values it's a reasonable price, maybe a little overpriced.  

I’ll ask more pics. He has told me that the pickguard was replaced for a gold one.

he said he traveled to use for a luthier to add frets because it was fretless neck.

i also asked him to take the bass apart but he said the bass is calibrated and bla bla.

thanks a lot buddy

1 minute ago, Adrics said:

i also asked him to take the bass apart but he said the bass is calibrated and bla bla.

There's no calibration he's going to disrupt by taking it apart. If he wants to sell a vintage instrument this is what he should do!  Good luck. 

Tuners (machine heads) are period correct. Bridge too with the longer screw for the G saddle. Some screws of the pickguard (scratchplate) are simple wood screws...

There are two different types of side dots at every position : black and clear !?!

The rest has already been said.

Sold my fully original 1970 Fender Precision Bass with all the goodies and original hard case for less and it was a good price (to me).

Forget this one : too expensive and uncertain.

• Like 1

The way I look at these things is if there is doubt about the provenance of a vintage instrument, it`s better to walk away. Especially if the seller is reluctant to do what most folk would consider reasonable (taking the neck off, showing the pot dates etc) to obtain a sale. There is always another vintage Fender round the corner.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Muppet said:

For us, most definitely. For the OP, who is based in Argentina, I would have no idea. 

Sure, but this isn't "round the corner" near him. He'd be paying this plus import tax too. I would go with walking away. There are other 70s Fenders out there with more info. @Adrics would be badly hit if he was conned out of 2700$ US.

He'd be better finding another. If it were in the UK, maybe folk here could check it out and vouch for it?

Thanks for all info. There are a lot of vintage vender dating early ‘70 around 5k Dolars here in Argentina... this is the cheapest. I’ve talked to this guy and offered 2k usd final price and he will need to send more detail pics. He will send pics of mics, pots (as I told they were replaced for Dimarzio so I think there is no way to date them, or not?) I wanna see what’s behind the pickguard also.

As many ppl said there are lot of things that seems to be genuines.

I spent the late 1970's and early 80's playing awful basses, truly awful. At that time I could only dream of playing a Fender. So, when I grew up* and decided to get back into bass albeit with a bit more cash, I went after 70's Fenders, and in doing so I made a lot of mistakes. Given that you learn from your mistakes this could be seen as good! The biggest lesson I learned was this: if you don't trust the seller 100%, do not buy the instrument, at whatever price. This is for two reasons; firstly in my experience a significant number of people selling vintage basses are hiding something, either because they got caught out themselves when buying, or because they're trying to sell the bass for a lot more than they paid for it. If you ask the seller (and yourself) the right questions - where did you get it, how much did you pay, do you have a receipt, has it been modified, are there any playing issues, why are you selling - you'll quickly get an idea as to how much you do trust them. Second, if you buy the bass and there is an issue that requires a full or partial refund (and this could be anything from a courier issue to the bass being not as expected, unplayable or fake), the seller's behaviour before you buy is a very good predictor of what it will be like to deal with afterwards, and whilst an issue with a vintage instrument is bad enough given the money involved, a difficult/unethical/criminal seller can make things 100 times worse.  

I get that you're in a country where these are pretty hard to come by, but I think you'd still be better off waiting for what you want to come up on this forum, which is 99.9% trustworthy, and importing it? 

Good luck mate

* Matter of opinion

• Like 4