Why become a member? ×

(Long Overdue) Hello from Somerset

Alfie Noakes

Evening all, having been a Basschatter for 12 years now I thought I’d better say ‘hello’. I guess I’m just a bit shy.....

I’ve been playing bass now for about 40 years, and if only that was 40 years of continual progress I’d be pretty darn good by now. Hey ho. My current gear is as follows:

Guitars: Fender Jazz AVRI ‘75, Fender American Standard Precision, Musicman Stingray, and a Spector Euro Doug Wimbish 
Amplification: Orange Bass Terror V2 (with a clean switch), and two Orange OBC-112 cabs (incoming)

It’s taken me a while to get to this point, but I’m almost certain all of the above are now keepers. Having bought and sold gear to most people on here over the years some may doubt my words, but I don’t, currently 😉

The bassists I love, and who set me off on this foray, are the likes of Bruce Foxton, JJ Burnel, John Deacon, Phil Lynott and Adam Clayton, to name but a few. Good solid steady low-enders who often join in with the song’s riff, or add something fitting and/or complementary.

Band-wise, I’m still doing the covers thing, and still really enjoying it, with a Barnstaple band called The Rogues. I also join in quite regularly with a local duo in our village called Mini Hates The Hoover.

I think that’s it, so I’ll go quiet now for another 12 years 😎