Why become a member? ×

Fender-gone Conclusion

SamPlaysBass

On 22/07/2020 at 11:42, chris_b said:

I have 3 restrictions; I want to stick with "Fender" style basses, they have to be 5 strings and I don't want to build my own basses. I'm still looking.

I would recommend an Ibanez Talman. I have given an honest review of the TMB105 - here:

The TMB105 is firmly in the Fender tone and looks universe. That’s why I bought it. It’s £200. It sounds fab, but does need work in my opinion - not a case of buy it and forget it. That said, it’s so cheap you can do what you like to it without much fear or cost. Including new tuners to assist with seated neck dive and chambering, if you wanted....But it will take effort and money. 

• Like 2

On 22/07/2020 at 03:42, chris_b said:

I have 3 restrictions; I want to stick with "Fender" style basses, they have to be 5 strings and I don't want to build my own basses. I'm still looking.

I know you' said 'budget' but have you tried the new Fender Ultra Jazz 5?

I'm not normally a fan of Fender basses but that one gave me something to think about. If you're already a Fender fan I could easily imagine how it could become your "the one" bass, which means you could sell everything else you have, which is how you would liberate some cash too.

I never had the luck of an MIM P and the American Jazz I had in the 90s was not good. When I found my Ultra which is a joy to play, look at and listen to, I was just plain grateful. There is a ridiculous difference in price but also a big difference in the luck you need to find a good instrument in each series. Ultra should be way easier. Your parents may have been really lucky. IMHO

Edited by TrevorG