Why become a member? ×

Elixir 80/20 bronze strings on electric bass?

Ögon

Hello,

Did anyone ever try putting Elixir 80/20 bronze strings on electric bass?
How does it compare to Elixir Nickel plated steel bass strings?

I'm curious about your thoughts soundwise..

Edited by Ögon89

I don't know how magnetic bronze is compared to normal steel/nickel. That would be the biggest worry. As long as its magnetic properties are similar then they should work in a similar way, but I've always hated the screechy nature of bronze strings. 

If they're magnetic just give them a try. 🙂

If anyone is curious about this: I bought the 80/20 strings and tried it out myself on my precision bass: They have a nice sound to them, i would say full.. They have an awesome feel to them, really easy to slide and a softer tension when bending/plucking, which is caused by the lighter gauge.. 45-65-80-100, the coating and string material. But they are not being picked up well by the pickups, probably less prone to transfering electricity things.. How do you call it? Less magnetic probably. And because of that, the gain should be set about 20-25% higher compared to 'real electric bass strings' and it may cause some more electrical interference on the signal of the bass. It's not like HUGE, but not sure how it's like on other bassguitars though. I will keep using them for a while :) 

Edited by Ögon89
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I once put phosphor bronzes on an electric (Warwick) and loved the sound a lot. When I tried to gig with them nobody could hear me even with the amp up full. I actually had audience members complaining, you understand. It was a regular gig using otherwise my regular rig. 

1 hour ago, nige1968 said:

I once put phosphor bronzes on an electric (Warwick) and loved the sound a lot. When I tried to gig with them nobody could hear me even with the amp up full. I actually had audience members complaining, you understand. It was a regular gig using otherwise my regular rig. 

Yeah, the difference in gain or volume to compensate the level drop is quite huge on my bass amp... Like 1/3 of the volume or gain must be added haha, huge..

On my external audio interface it's like 20%

Edited by Ögon