Why become a member? ×

Help needed --- Mesa Strategy Eight:88 power transformer

tvickey

I'm wondering if someone who has a Mesa Strategy Eight:88 is able to please tell me which power transformer is inside?  I think that it is 561852, and it will be written on the top of the transformer if you just peek inside.

For the Prodigy Four:88 it is 561854.

If someone could please take a look and let me know, or snap a photo, that would be a huge help.  Thanks!

I need to convert from USA to EU voltages on an Eight:88.  Apparently the same transformer will do, but it needs some re-wiring which requires a small kit and some expertise.  Indeed, I've been put in touch with Westside Distribution... let's see what they say!

Indeed, he got factory support directly from me, I had already advised him to contact Westside Distribution to have the work done because there were quite a few additional parts that needed to be changed and that the voltage change is fairly complicated. I had also advised him that the transformer should be the same so he wouldn't need a new transformer as long as the part number matched 561852. If the part number is different, then he would need the correct transformer. Most export models (and some USA models) were built with #561852, so the change shouldn't be very expensive.

If by some reason the amp has a domestic only transformer (I do not have the build data on all versions throughout the 5 year build cycle), then it will be an expensive change because it's a very costly transformer with 3 primary windings and 3 center-tapped secondary windings).

As always, the devil is in the details, Westside Distribution will know or be able to get the details. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, agedhorse said:

Indeed, he got factory support directly from me, I had already advised him to contact Westside Distribution to have the work done because there were quite a few additional parts that needed to be changed and that the voltage change is fairly complicated. I had also advised him that the transformer should be the same so he wouldn't need a new transformer as long as the part number matched 561852. If the part number is different, then he would need the correct transformer. Most export models (and some USA models) were built with #561852, so the change shouldn't be very expensive.

If by some reason the amp has a domestic only transformer (I do not have the build data on all versions throughout the 5 year build cycle), then it will be an expensive change because it's a very costly transformer with 3 primary windings and 3 center-tapped secondary windings).

As always, the devil is in the details, Westside Distribution will know or be able to get the details. 

Many thanks again @agedhorse and sorry for the postings across multiple forums!  Indeed I contacted Westside Distribution so let's see what they say.

• Like 1

I don't have the specs on the transformer, this is probably better answered by the customer service folks as they have access to more info. than I do.  I know that domestic transformers are not safety certified at 50hz as the domestic version testing program only looks at 60Hz operation. The export version (and 120V tap when present) on a universal market transformer will have adequate core area for 50Hz operation even on 120V.

I know that response times for support are impacted by COVID-19, many of us are working remotely right now. I assume that this may be the case in the UK as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@tvickey - my Walkabout transformer went pop about 3 years back (no slight on the transformer, it was 20 years old)  - Westside and Mesa sent me to a local mesa approved tech -  David Gaffrey  (01924 267142) Based in Ossett near Wakefield (so not a billion miles away from you) who was very good. 

If Westside send you his way you are in good hands. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Long overdue update on this thread.  Indeed, David Gaffrey helped me out and did the conversion from US to UK voltages without any issues and for an incredibly reasonable price.  Now I no longer need to do this with the step-down transformer... ;) 

mesa_strategy_888.jpg

Edited by tvickey
typo
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

@tvickey - I think if we combined our Mesa rigs we could hire ourselves our as a demolition company! Walls would come tumbling down in seconds!

Thanks @binky_bass, I take this to mean that you didn't sell your rig in the end and the house purchase worked out okay for you!

Edited by tvickey
typo

1 minute ago, tvickey said:

Thanks @binky_bass, I take this to mean that you didn't sell your rig in the end and the house purchase worked out okay for you!

Still have the rig - I'd not have considered selling it if it wasn't to make up some ground on a house move. Looks like we've now secured a house without the need to liquidate all my gear! 

Ironically my Mesa is having issues at the moment, looks like it'll be going back to the store I bought it from to be returned to Mesa for repair. Hopefully it'll be back before gigs/practice picks up! 

31 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Still have the rig - I'd not have considered selling it if it wasn't to make up some ground on a house move. Looks like we've now secured a house without the need to liquidate all my gear! 

Ironically my Mesa is having issues at the moment, looks like it'll be going back to the store I bought it from to be returned to Mesa for repair. Hopefully it'll be back before gigs/practice picks up! 

What's the issue that you're having with the head?  My 'standby' switch got stuck, which David Gaffrey replaced at the same time he did the voltage conversion for me.  David commented that the switch issue is very common... I know of at least one other Basschatter who had the exact same issue with his 888. 

Edited by tvickey
typo

1 hour ago, tvickey said:

Long overdue update on this thread.  Indeed, David Gaffrey helped me out and did the conversion from US to UK voltages without any issues and for an incredibly reasonable price.  Now I no longer need to do this with the step-down transformer... ;) 

mesa_strategy_888.jpg

Don't know what it is about the Mesa 6x10 and the Strategy, but they just work as a rig don't they :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tvickey said:

What's the issue that you're having with the head?  My 'standby' switch got stuck, which David Gaffrey replaced at the same time he did the voltage conversion for me.  David commented that the switch issue is very common... I know of at least one other Basschatter who had the exact same issue with his 888. 

I suspect it's related to the power valve section. Every 10-20 seconds or so while powered up there is a loud 'pop', that pop's loudness is relative to how high up the volume is so when gigging/practicing it is very much noticeable.

GuitarGuitar have very kindly agreed to take it back and send it to an authorised UK Mesa repair centre. 

I only bought it about a year ago and because of various lockdowns I've never even gigged it! I think it's been used by me for about 20 hours tops since it was delivered so the fault definitely isn't usage of it! 

I have to say that the customer service at GuitarGuitar is spot on, very glad they're helping put it right! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/04/2021 at 13:33, binky_bass said:

I suspect it's related to the power valve section. Every 10-20 seconds or so while powered up there is a loud 'pop', that pop's loudness is relative to how high up the volume is so when gigging/practicing it is very much noticeable.

GuitarGuitar have very kindly agreed to take it back and send it to an authorised UK Mesa repair centre. 

I only bought it about a year ago and because of various lockdowns I've never even gigged it! I think it's been used by me for about 20 hours tops since it was delivered so the fault definitely isn't usage of it! 

I have to say that the customer service at GuitarGuitar is spot on, very glad they're helping put it right!  Whatever it's Tech Time! 

If the loudness of the 'pop' increases when the volume control is turned up then the problem has nothing to do with the power section and lies in the pre-amp. Possibly a failing tube or a leaky cap. 

Edited by BassmanPaul