Why become a member? ×

QUICK POLL: Terminology smackdown - Pickguard or Scratchplate?

wateroftyne

Quick poll - Pickguard or Scratchplate?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. What's it to you?

• Scratchplate
    • Pickguard

2 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

I dunno; she got 4 kids as consolation prize for your heroic victories.

I wear them Around my neck as medals and stand on the 1st place podium in the garden waving At the neighbours who clap and cheer.

She stands dejected on the 2nd step, gutted to have been so close yet so far from true glory.

She will ultimately be forgotten, and I will receive lucrative sponsorship and advertising deals - eventually I’ll be knighted and heralded as a national treasure.

• Haha 2

I used to think I had a reasonable command of the English language, having been born and grown up in the country of its origin, but reading this thread makes me feel as if I've just landed on some strange planet where they speak in bleeps and whistles.

I use a pick (due to a hand injury) and most of my basses have pick guards (except the Sandberg, which I play so rarely that I had to go and look at it to check).

I used to play some of these basses pre my hand injury, so was playing finger style, and the pick guards were on them then as well.

2 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

reading this thread makes me feel as if I've just landed on some strange planet where they speak in bleeps and whistles.

Or Norfolk to use its correct name. 😲

14 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

English is a Germanic language, sorry for you, but you didn't invent it at all...

Yek, yek, yek.

No history courses at the uni ? 😁 

Old High German, as I recall, the high meaning the northern part of the country. I used to teach this stuff, but I'm retired now. 

24 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

And the southern part being French. 😁 

Are the Greek and Latin influences the eastern part? Presumably the western is John Wayne, Bill Gates, Ronald McDonald et al?? 😂 I'm sure terms like McDelivery and McSalad will soon, if they haven't already enter the Oxford English Dictionary!!! 

Im afraid I'm very old fashioned - the language is English and a region of the country is England - hence..... 

English (US) is a special language enabling use of different versions and spellings of words without invoking the dreaded auto correct. 

It's wierd there aren't different words for frets, necks, bridges and other paraphernalia on guitars but there don't seem to be!! Or are there 🤔😀

Edited by drTStingray

Eng Land, literally home of the Germanic tribe called the Angles.

You are going deeper underground. 🤣 

What is called modern English is a mixture of old Germanic (~70%) and Norman-French (~30%). Cursed or doomed ? I'll leave it to you. 😁

24 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

IAs it happens, my wife is American and we are currently having our bathroom and toilet refitted due to their ancient, mouldy state. Much confusion ensued, because the room with the bath in it is a bathroom and the room with a toilet in it is a toilet, unless you are American, in which case they are both bathrooms.

To continue the pedantic nature, my wife is also an American, but doesn't have that issue, because that is only a USAdian americanism, and my wife is one of the other North Americans :D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Maude said:

Surely it's as simple as whether you call the strummy thing a plectrum or a pick. I've always called it a plectrum and the big platey cover thing a scratchplate, because calling those items a pick and a pickguard is wrong if you're British. If you're from America call them a pick and pickguard. Same as we don't have trash cans to put garbage in and trunks, hoods and fenders on cars, the Americans don't have rubbish bins, boots, bonnets and wings. It's funny really as 'we all wanna be Americans' but as much as Americans love the British, as far as I'm aware they don't feel the need to try and copy our language and slang. 

I'm well aware I'm at risk of entering full rant mode but my son calls rubbish trash and my wife goes into a shop and says, "Can I get.......?" But when I say to her, "No he/she will get it for you", everyone looks at me like I'm the idiot!

"LIKE TOTES AMAZEBALLS!!"

Exiting rant mode and time for a cup of tea I reckon, yes milk, no, no bloody ice!

😉

I've found myself watching a lot of an American TV show called Bar Rescue at the moment and I can't help but scream when the customers say, when ordering, 'Lemme get' or 'I'm gonna do.'

IT'S PLEASE MAY I HAVE!

PLEASE MAY I HAAAAAAAAAVE!!!

Edited by Jonse
  • Haha 1

Can’t believe I don’t know lol 😂   

Both. Maybe scratch plate if it’s part of the assembly (strat for example) and pick guard if it’s not (like acoustic guitar) 

no right or wrong answer and I honestly don’t know what I use the most 

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

“Scratchplate” almost implies it’s there to attract scratches, whereas “pickguard” suggests protection from picks. I’d prefer the latter on my bass -_-

Whilst respecting your view on this, I think you've defined the exact reason why it should be scratch plate - attracts the scratches instead of the body. 

I don't ever use a pick but all of my basses have scratch plates - all of which have worn and scratched areas where my fingers and nails wear at it - just an observation - the popping of slap and pop does this quite heavily in one area near the neck joint (in fact it affects the bodies of my basses beyond even the scratch plate)!! 

• Sad 1