Why become a member? ×

Going Custom - 4 or 5 String

BassApprentice

I would strongly advise against building a custom instrument unless you are very certain what you want. 

My experience of ordering expensive custom instruments has largely led me to the conclusion that my wants are not consistent over time, and it is generally way smarter to buy what is available, rather than make what isn’t. Even modding is something I look at very carefully now - if it’s not reversible, I’m largely avoiding it.

I love maple necks now. 6-7 years ago, probably turned down loads of great basses with them. I like P/JJ/PJ pickups now (Stingray pickups at a real stretch), years ago, I wanted modern humbuckers in some instruments. Gone right off them now. Other tastes re: finishes etc have changed as well for me.

Don’t do it. Buy secondhand or new, but not custom. Not unless you are really really certain about what you are doing. 

• Like 4

On 17/07/2020 at 11:38, funkle said:

I would strongly advise against building a custom instrument unless you are very certain what you want. 

...Don’t do it. Buy secondhand or new, but not custom. Not unless you are really really certain about what you are doing. 

At the very least buy a custom instrument of which you are uncertain second-hand.

Then the original owner takes the monumental depreciation hit. AND you potentially get to try before you buy, too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

At the very least buy a custom instrument of which you are uncertain second-hand.

Then the original owner takes the monumental depreciation hit. AND you potentially get to try before you buy, too.

This is true, the first hit is the worst. i now have a custom instrument that wasn't custom to me. In fact it wasn't custom to anyone, it was for a show. If it had been custom to me I would have made decisions on it that would have been different to what it has, which would be bad as it is perfect.