Why become a member? ×

Hello from West Yorkshire

Velarian

Hi all, 

I just joined the forum today. I originally played bass for a few years from the late 70s up until around the mid 80s and then quit for all sorts of reasons I can't now remember. TBH back in the day I was never that good and somewhat lacking in imagination. However, I recently started looking back with a little bit of regret that I'd not kept up with things. Then I stumbled upon Scott's Bass Lessons channel on YouTube and started to think, hmmm, maybe I could do this again?

The amount of great information that's available online now should give me a clear path to follow which was something that wasn't readily available all those years ago. Back then, being in a band didn't require you to actually be any good and I foolishly thought that the bass was the most accessible instrument to play; after all, it's only four strings, how hard can it be, right? It turns out that there is more to it than just thumping away on the root of a chord and there is some truly amazing playing out there now to inform and inspire.

I actually still 'own' a couple of basses but they're not in my possession, having been on semi-permanent loan for the past 35 years to a more musically capable friend who now lives at the other end of the country. So, fast-forward to this week and I find myself half inspired and half on impulse pulling the trigger on a new bass, a Squire Precision with P/J pickup arrangement. Not a fortune but, from what I can gather, a half-decent (re)starter instrument if it's set up correctly and certainly good enough to get me up and running again. I'm now waiting impatiently for it to arrive.

I'm looking forward to the journey and, given that I've pretty much forgotten everything of the very little that I knew before, expect some obtuse 'noob' questions from me in the weeks to come 😉

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...