Why become a member? ×

Small class D with switch on front

ped

Hi folks

I'm looking for a class D amplifier to drive my Bass Board. I'm currently using a TC BH800 which is great but the annoying thing is that the power switch is on the back of the amp and because it's part of a studio setup I have to reach behind a monitor to turn it on which is a bit awkward. I also don't need 800w to drive the board at home levels.

So I'm looking for any ideas for a small amp with power switch on the front. The Bass board acts the same as an 8ohm cab for reference, but I don't think I'd need more than 200w. It would be nice if there's not much fan noise (It only kicks in on the BH800 after some time)

So far I have seen the Gallien Krueger MB200 which looks pretty neat. I haven't kept up to date with things so may have missed something. Budget - well, I can sell the BH800 to replace it with something or have maybe £250 for a second hand amp and keep the TC as a spare.

Cheers

ped

The quilter bb800 is very small and light and runs perfect as a pure amplifier rather than a coloured tone one.

Mute button, all controls and power switch on front.

I'm selling mine, but looking around £400. Theres also a low level fan on all the time. So might not be exactly what you're looking for.

More power than youd ever need, and superb amp, but it's there if you ever do.

Just now, Hellzero said:

The Quilter Bass Block 800 or 802 has the switch on the front... 

Just now, la bam said:

The quilter bb800 is very small and light and runs perfect as a pure amplifier rather than a coloured tone one.

Mute button, all controls and power switch on front.

I'm selling mine, but looking around £400. Theres also a low level fan on all the time. So might not be exactly what you're looking for.

More power than youd ever need, and superb amp, but it's there if you ever do.

Was just about to add that one too!

33 minutes ago, mr4stringz said:

Peavey MiniMax is an option if you’re not after something top end...

Thanks, no not really, in fact in a weird way it doesn't actually matter what the amp sounds like as I'll never hear it!!

18 minutes ago, ped said:

Thanks, no not really, in fact in a weird way it doesn't actually matter what the amp sounds like as I'll never hear it!!

I’d consider a V1 MiniMax then if you can get hold of one. Plenty of power on tap and light as a feather. Resale values are low too, especially after the Thomann blow out when they were selling them off a little while back. Think I picked mine up new for about £160...

7 minutes ago, Deedee said:

The fan on the Peavey MiniMax may drive you mad. It's rather loud.

Thanks - actually the fan noise doesn't bother me that much as when playing I have my headphones on but I do sometimes listen to music and pump the bass through the board as it sits under my office chair and feels amazing. So it could be annoying in that way. 

I have bought the GK 200 thing and will see if it has enough power to drive the board at the levels I tend to use (fairly low)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Why not fashion a power lead (assuming it's not captive at the amp end!) With an in-line power switch? You can then position it in your board to be used as required. Then just leave the TC's power switch permanently "on"...

I did wonder about that but then I saw something shiny I could waste money on instead - of course your suggestion would have been far more sensible. Do you have an example of such a cable for reference?

Thanks for that it definitely would have been a better idea! 

The MB200 just arrived. It’s about the size of a paperback! I’ll give it a whirl over the weekend and see if it can come up with the muscle to shake my chair as much as the TC does. 

Had a play this afternoon. It seems to drive the board every bit as well as the TC, and after a good 30mins of playing the fan hasn’t kicked in either and it’s not even warm. Good so far. Switch on the front is immensely satisfying after years of reaching under a monitor and invariably scraping ones hand or knocking said monitor off balance. Happy days

• Like 1