Why become a member? ×

Passed Around Basses

ClassicVibes

I've done this.

BC is a relatively safe environment and a lot of us are interested in gear, so many sales are on spec to the curious. I evaluate stuff and if it's better than my current gear I keep it. If it isn't I'll sell it. It has nothing to do with the quality of the particular piece, just a way of checking stuff out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

I often see basses that were sold on the BC marketplace be put back up for sale a few weeks later by the new seller.

Normally the reason is money issues but everyone can't have the same issue so what gives?

Sometimes it’s that something comes up for sale - it’s exciting and the irrational “have to have it” moment takes over - when the bass or amp arrives, it isn’t quite as expected (feel/sound), or is similar to something the buyer already has.

I’ve done it loads - get giddy, but something and then buyers remorse kicks in.

I wanted a particular bass I remember from being a kid, I found one and snapped it up - it sounded ace, looked amazing...but sat weirdly on me and I couldn’t get in with it.

Sold it for what I’d paid and the next owner absolutely loved it. Still has it too.

In reality we all actually need one or two basses, but we chase things as something tells us that it will be better or make us sound better.

Rarely happens...

• Like 2

Expectation vs reality. For me at least, I lust after a particular bass or bit of kit and when I get it I'm somehow not the lab created hybrid of Bernard Edwards and Marcus Miller. 

I recently spent months agonising over selling a bass I don't use to fund some new acquisitions. Now the bass is boxed up and ready to go I'm missing it already and slightly regretting it. I also saw what I thought was my dream bass for sale a while back but couldn't afford until now, so I messaged a dealer saying "hey if you get this or anything similar I'd like to know" and he had something I'd never seen before that really tickled my fancy... And the bass of my dreams came up for sale on the same day. And 24hrs later while I'm thinking "wouldn't it be great to have twin fretted and fretless basses" the fretless twin of my number 1 came up for sale. Can't have them all! But all this time not playing in the band and working full time at home plus being more available to be "dad" means I can only dream about gigging and not I'm not practicing, hence every loo break involves trawling classifieds, Reverb, Gumtree, eBay... 

51 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I've done this.

BC is a relatively safe environment and a lot of us are interested in gear, so many sales are on spec to the curious. I evaluate stuff and if it's better than my current gear I keep it. If it isn't I'll sell it. It has nothing to do with the quality of the particular piece, just a way of checking stuff out.

This. Applies to amps, cabs, etc, too. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chris_b said:

I do this too, although not so much through Basschat (I've never sold anything on here before (except for one trade), but I have bought several basses from members here). As a lefty, it is often my only way to be able to try a certain bass or guitar out since most music stores barely carry any lefty instruments. So sometimes I will buy to try, and if it's not my cup of tea I sell it again.

I recently bought a bass back for the first time out of seller's remorse 😂. I bought a worn-down black Carvin LB75 on Basschat because I wanted to give a bass with a combination of a J and MM pickup a try, and loved the tone and playability of that bass but absolutely hated the way it looked so I sold it and went looking for a better-looking version. I found one on Gumtree in beautiful flamed walnut and had it shipped to me, but it didn't sound nearly as nice as that old, worn, black one. So I've owned that for roughly two weeks before I sold it on again. Two months ago my old one came back up for sale and I was able to buy it back for what I sold it for, and I'm very happy to have it back. 

• Like 1

I have had the opportunity to play many different basses. As an example, Steinberger looks tempting, but its neck profile is terrible to my hands. I do not have to buy one. Glad I have tried one. This internet thing has changed the availability of the basses. I still see some new stuff that I haven't ever played before. ...could try something - why wouldn't I give it a try, if the price is right?

Edited by itu

5 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Ah, but you get to play with all the new stuff courtesy of the day job.

That is very true indeed!!! But that in turn does very bad things to me as I suffer from terminal G.A.S!!

Imagine having to give back a bass you really want to take home! 😂

Edited by Dood
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, ClassicVibes said:

Normally the reason is money issues but everyone can't have the same issue so what gives?

Mind you, the whole 'money issues' thing always leaves me chortling. 

I genuinely couldn't put a number on how many listings I've seen on Basschat over the years which cited 'unexpected bills', or 'car insurance', or 'new boiler', or 'need to pay hitman' as reasons for selling a bass.

Does anyone seriously give a monkey's WHY you are selling a bass? 

If it's a bass that I want to own and the price is right, then I'll buy it. It wouldn't even cross my mind to ask why you put it up for sale.

And before anyone else points it out, yes, I've occasionally offered my reasons for a sale, but they're always bass-related reasons! Right now I'm selling a lovely vintage fretless Precision and I don't have a problem with mentioning that I've just bought an even nicer fretless bass, which is why I'm selling this one. :on_the_quiet:

• Like 2

i have seen the same dingwall combustion that i traded 4 years ago up for sale 4 or 5 times. Its up for sale on facebook at the moment. I still have the bass I traded it for. Technically it wasn't a great trade financially, but it worked out well for me!

I am not one for selling much, although I have a lot up at the moment. I will have that Shuker that I bought last month (the 6 string) up for sale once I have replaced the preamp as it isn't right for me at all, the neck is too wide, I should know I don't cope with string spacing that much, but it served its purpose of showing me I wanted a shuker as the one I have replaced it with isn't going anywhere!

5 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Does anyone seriously give a monkey's WHY you are selling a bass? 

Well, yes, once you have written how it plays like butter and it is the best playing bass EVAR! then you need a reason why you want to sell it.

I think it only looks odd when you say 'i have to sell as I need to repair my car' and 'will trade for a xxx'

• Like 2

Bought a Marcus Miller jazz from here. Lovely bass that arrived exactly as described but I sold it very quickly due to it being heavy and because of the 7 inch radius fretboard. Not a thing wrong with it, just didn’t “fit”.