Why become a member? ×

Replacement fan

Pow_22

So the fan in my Peavey Alphabass is a little noisy, not noticable when playing but as a cheap component I thought id replace it.  The original looks like a 80mm AC 230v fan.  Are there any other specs id need to match when sourcing a replacement?  Our local PC store has what looks like good replacements for literally £2-£3.  I just want to make sure that other than size, AC and power consumption theres nothing else i need to take into consideration?  Here is a pic or the original:-

66EB9516-58FB-4A94-946F-0DF925E2F071.jpeg

Edited by Pow_22

21 minutes ago, John Cribbin said:

The important bit for a fan is it's CFM rating (Cubic Feet a Minute). That's how much air the fan pushes over the board.

I'd guess the £2-3 ones are 12v not mains. Personally I'd look to pay for a good one not a basement bargain cheepie ...

I agree with John. When you look at the probable cost of repair if it fails to do a sufficient job and the amp overheats, it makes sense to go for something decent.

Here's the spec of the original fan:

HOWARD 3-15-1301 spec

• supply voltage: 230 vac
  • blades: 5
  • body material: metal
  • size: 76 x 76 x 38 mm
  • width: 1.5 in, height: 3 in, length: 3 in

So it's not quite 80mm square. I can't find any fans that are 76mm, but 80mm ones are common place - if you have the room to fit an 80mm in there then that's probably the easiest approach. The original fan was around 26 CFM - 80mm fans shouldn't have a problem shifting that much air, so the only other selection criteria really is the quality of the bearings (ie how long it'll last!).

Good luck...

• Thanks 1

i would suggest measuring the spacing of the fixing screws, the standard for 80mm fans is 71.5mm square so as long as the screws fit then an 80mm fan will be fine.

14408377_Screenshotfrom2020-07-1213-15-47.png.982c79bb8153d2eb31debd6c67b6a2d5.png

i would be wary of any cutting or filing of the metal chassis to make a bigger fan fit, you would need to be 100% sure that all the metal filings are removed to prevent shorting anything out (especially as this is a valve amp so the voltages inside are very high)

this fan from RS is the closest i can find that suits the voltage/current/airflow requirements, nowhere near as cheap as the ones you mention but as this is a good quality valve amp i would suggest that skimping on the fan could have consequences down the line with overheating which might lead to a big repair bill

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/axial-fans/7897873/

this one should also be suitable but is a little more expensive with with higher airflow but more noise (33dB)

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/axial-fans/0126206/

Matt

(as an aside i spend some of my working life specifying axial fans for industrial equipment)

Edited by Matt P
spelling