Why become a member? ×

Budget basses that are way better than their prices suggest

I had a sub ray 5, it was very good, but not really the bass for me. Well worth the money though. Also played the OLPs, and they are good.

Frankly any bass in the £500 region is going to be great now. I have had lots of basses in the up to £500 range. One group I just gigged a Squier P, then when I realised it was doing my arm wrong, a Geddy Lee Jazz. Eventually ended up that group with the ibanez and basically stayed there.

To be honest, my wrongo, apart from its visual issues is a good solid bass, and I would happily do any gig with it. I had a harley benton jazz which was a great bass, not even for the money. I would still have it now but weighed probably as much as my car! The nut also needed doing, but the neck was brilliant - it was teh best 4 string jazz I have had (including fenders). I have a jazz, a fender aerodyne, but will probably move it on soon as I am getting rid of all 4s apart from my oldest ibanez. Its not as good as the HB was (apart from weight), but it looks better and has Fender on the label.

That said, I have just bought a shuker. OK, it wasn't new, I am too tight for that, but it was the most I had paid for an instrument. Is it 6 times better than the G&L next to it that I have for sale for £350? No, of course it isn't, but it is better,  it is the best bass I have ever played - it plays like a dream, it is paid for by my gigging and I find it a piece of art.  I got it because it was beautiful, not becase I thought it would make me better. Or would even sound better.

For me the sires aren't as good, the necks are too big and I found the controls a bit cheap feeling. Nothing you can't cure though. The Classic Vibe fenders, certainly the early ones, they are great.

But if I really needed to find a bass that was cheap and I could live with as my only bass, I would be checking the weights on the harley bentons for a new one of those.

Not sure if they've been suggested already, however the Yamaha TRB series is killer. It has a lot of higher end instruments, however the TRB1004 (even the one made in korea and not the made in japan TRB1004J) is a very reliable, aggressive but versatile instrument, and it can be found around 400-500 quid.

Haven't tried the newer TRBX series with the open pole pickups - those seem even cheaper, but if they go through the same QC the rest of the TRB series does, should be a very safe bet :)

Edited by akabane

I had and got rid of a Cort C4 LTD. Amazing bass for the money with a lovely neck and stunning finish. I really regret selling it. I’d put Cort up there with more expensive brands when it comes to bang for buck. My youngest has got an Action Deluxe that he’s learning on and the build quality is exceptional.