Why become a member? ×

Budget basses that are way better than their prices suggest

From what I read and see on BC there are lots of BCers who are pros and /or have very nice top end basses like Foderas etc. Now, I've never made a living from playing bass though in my 20s and 30s used to quite a lot of dep work and and gigging in function bands to top up my salary while living in London. Since then I've been in 'hobby' bands and haven't really been able to justify to myself spending more than £500 on a new bass and having more than four. But these have always been fine for me. However,  because I've not played any high price instruments I don't know how good they really are. These include a Sub Ray 4, Peavey Cirrus BXP 4, Aria Pro II Integra (my only bass in the 90s) and a Cort GB74. Just wondering if anyone else here has played these and what you think of them.  Also what other sub £500 basses do you reckon are ridiculously low priced for their quality?

Sire Marcus Miller basses are awesome VFM as are the Squier VM range, ( made in the Cort factory). Harley Benton seem to get a lot of love here.

Ultimate VFM if you include pre-owned are the original SGC Nanyo Bass Collection. Incredible build, quality components and around £200.

• Like 1

I have experience of two of those basses - the Integra and the Corty. Both great basses. The other two both have good reputations. I now play a Shuker - not because I'm such a great player, but what I wanted didn't exist, and it was a lovely way of having something from the very modest amount my mum left me.

Difference between them? The same as the difference between supermarket Champagne and Dom Pergignon. Only ever had Dom Perignon twice and that was when someone else was paying. It is crazy expensive, and yes, you can tell the difference, but the more you pay, the more marginal the improvements become. And to be honest, until I gave up drinking I was always happy drinking supermarket Champagne, but will always remember the DP!

As for other sub £500 basses, Ibanez (although I don't like the open pore necks on a lot of them), G&L Tribute (made by Cort) and even cheaper, Revelation.

• Like 2

Although I've never played one, usually when this kind of thread pops up, Sire is usually hands down the most recommended "budget" bass.

Really can't justify getting one right now unfortunately to see what all the fuss is about - but it's an itch I'm going to have to scratch before long

The usual suspects for me - these are basses I’ve played which have made me question the need to pay a lot more for one. They include some SX models, Vintage (the brand!), some Squiers (VM and early Japanese era in particular) and Danelectros (quirky / not for everyone I agree). I haven’t tried any Harley Bentons although apparently great ‘bang for your buck’. The USA MM Subs are amazing value when compared to a Stingray, although hard to find a s/h one these days for much less than £500.

13 minutes ago, la bam said:

G&L tribute l100s are outstanding for under £400.

Vintage v4 reissues at £250.

Sire v7 ver2 at £400.

Yep, Vintage V4s are great, the Tony Butler Signature is an excellent bass.

• Like 1

Pretty much most budget basses are halfway decent these days. In the 80s you could get some real dogs but these days the quality has gone right up. Normally the worst case scenario is just the bass needing a better setup. Add a few mods and you can get usually get a very reasonable instrument.

Having GAS on a permenant basis, I have been through many basses during the last few years. From those bought and played, I would rate them as follows:-

1st - G&L L2000 and JB -2s

2nd - Chinese CVs - 50s and 60s P bass and a 60s Jazz

3rd - Revelation RPB

4th - Squier VM P bass

Also have a 70s Kasuga Ric copy and a JV P from 1983 which are in a different league (in a good way) but both cost less than the £500 mark.

Musicman SUBs are great but sold them on as prefered P basses in general.

48 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

Pretty much most budget basses are halfway decent these days. In the 80s you could get some real dogs but these days the quality has gone right up. Normally the worst case scenario is just the bass needing a better setup. Add a few mods and you can get usually get a very reasonable instrument.

As an old git/OAP, I'm often astonished by the quality of "budget" instruments, when I compare them with what was around when I was starting out in the 1960s/70s. Modern CNC machinery means consistently accurate manufacture and it's rare to come across a real dog nowadays. The main question when buying is "Do I like it?", rather than "Is it good enough?" A decent set-up is usually all you need.

• Like 4

I have been so astonished by the quality of Harley Benton basses that I now regard £400 - £500 as a high priced instrument. 

Would never cross my mind to buy anything over that price. I'm a working musician and nobody but me would know the difference. 

• Like 2

So many!  and largely under £300, too.

Of those I have tried and already mentioned, Yamaha BBs for sure.

I would add Peavey Fury and Foundation for P bass and Jazz bass duties respectively. 

Westone Thunder 1A for P bass (if only they were lighter!).

Various Aria Pro II and other assorted Matsumoku stuff.

My Sire M2 5str (Gen2). Second hand £200. Would like an M7 for the additional switching options but over £500 new. M2 probably the nicest "modern" bass for the money, though I haven't tried the Harley Benton option. Unlikely to happen, have 4 basses and am now saving for one more only (👌😅). After a Luthier bill has been paid.

Just now, Paul S said:

So many!  and largely under £300, too.

Of those I have tried and already mentioned, Yamaha BBs for sure.

I would add Peavey Fury and Foundation for P bass and Jazz bass duties respectively. 

Westone Thunder 1A for P bass (if only they were lighter!).

Various Aria Pro II and other assorted Matsumoku stuff.

+1 for last 3. Some alright old Washburn's too (scavenger for pbass)

• Like 1

I hadn't paid, over the years, more than about £600 secondhand for a bass, until recently.

What I found, when I did splash the cash, is that although an expensive bass (ie in the area £2000)  is nice to have, you don't get that much more for your money.

I know many bassist who play cheapish basses, who get a great sound out of them.

Edit: I'd recommend investing money on amps and cabs, before spending on expensive basses. A cheap bass through good gear, will sound better than an expensive bass through bad/cheap gear.

Edited by gjones
  • Like 3

Just now, gjones said:

I hadn't paid, over the years, more than about £600 secondhand for a bass, until recently.

What I found, when I did splash the cash, is that although an expensive bass (ie in the area £2000)  is nice to have, you don't get that much more for your money.

I know many bassist who play cheapish basses, who get a great sound out of them.

Like with hi fis I guess the law of diminishing returns does apply.  There's a furniture aspect with the high end stuff. Sometimes I wince a bit at the endangered tropical hardwoods thing. Some of the stuff on the Kiesel FB page gets a bit grotesque.

• Like 1