Why become a member? ×

Best PJ bass wiring kit-passive

Radchenko

Also interested in a 'best versitile' wiring PJ set up for my Ibby GSR200, and removing the Active PHAT II

4 Pot Holes... VVTT, VBT? - 

Pot value? 250k or 500k... No Load Tone? - Linear or Audio Taper for Vol and Tone? - Capacitor value?

Balance / Blend Pot? 250 or 500 MN...

Wiring diag - ground or ungrounded?

Would like to do myself, but not sure what to do...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

Also interested in a 'best versitile' wiring PJ set up for my Ibby GSR200, and removing the Active PHAT II

Pot value? 250k or 500k... No Load Tone? - Linear or Audio Taper for Vol and Tone? - Capacitor value?

John @KiOgon will also be able to help you on this. John as supplied wiring harneses to many folk here for many years.  He makes them fittable without needing a soldering iron.

With regards 250 or 500ohm. John may correct me, but this is often a matter of taste. 500ohm gives a more agressive, punchy. treble tone. So this all depends on what you want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All components between the pickup and the amp cut higher frequency content. This is an issue with a high impedance circuitry. It can be tweaked with no load components and switches (rotary, too), if needed.

Audio = log taper for vol. Linear or log for tone. Bigger resistance (250 kohm - 1 Mohm), more highs, and a bit different behaviour when turning the pot.

For blend the MN type is good. The tapers are cut in the middle position.

8 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

I have a no-load tone in my p bass. You can really hear the tone control drop out, also there is a tactile but soft click as it does so