Why become a member? ×

Nut files

2 minutes ago, danbowskill said:

No. I'm wanting to buy a new fender Roasted maple neck, but the nut that's fitted comes with guide slits only and needs filing (very odd for a replacement neck I think). My gauge strings are 110-50

Why not use the strings that you are going to put on the Bass as a file. That is what I have always done, it is just as good as a file and will leave you with more dosh in your pocket.

• Like 1

I have replaced many nuts on my basses over the years and have always used a string. The finished job is always perfect and the technique is easier than using a file as you use both hands which gives you more control. Obviously it is better using Rounds than flats but flats will do the job too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geek99 said:

Why not stick sections of string to a lolly stick or Some such like a dowel and make your own nut files ? 

Now you are making it more complex than it really is, the gauge of the string will create the perfect slot so there is no need to add anything else. Just use the end of the string before you cut it and you will be fine.

19 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

Don’t know what these are like, but for the price they might be worth a go 🙂https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182561604306

Nice little mark up over these... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gas-Welding-Tip-Nozzle-Cleaner-Set-Mig-Torch-Cutting-Metal-Box/274261184043?hash=item3fdb3d8e2b:g:urAAAMXQ71xRY88~

5 hours ago, goingdownslow said:

Yes, if you read the description for the nut files it says they are actually for cleaning welding nozzles.

Yes, and They work well as nut files. You get a nice straight slot which you don’t get using a length of floppy string 

On 07/07/2020 at 06:21, Geek99 said:

Yes, and They work well as nut files. You get a nice straight slot which you don’t get using a length of floppy string 

Not floppy at all if you hold the string with both hands, but I guess some people just don't have the technique which is a shame.I still cannot get my head around your idea of sticking strings to a lollipop stick.....LOL. That is a sure fire way of losing some control when filing nuts.

Edited by RedVee

1 hour ago, RedVee said:

Not floppy at all if you hold the string with both hands, but I guess some people just don't have the technique which is a shame.I still cannot get my head around your idea of sticking strings to a lollipop stick.....LOL. That is a sure fire way of losing some control when filing nuts.

I need a nut filed, I'll try what you suggest and report back.