Why become a member? ×

Enki cases?

danpb

Has anyone got experience with the Enki dual bass cases? I'm currently using the Mono dual case but these seem much more protective for throwing into the back of a van or flying on occasion. How is the weight when loaded? They're obviously alot of money but potentially worth it when Its for about £3k of instruments.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/enki-amg-2-electric-bass-case-hard-case-for-2-bass-guitars-aircraft-hold-approved-316117?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=surfaces&gclid=Cj0KCQjw9IX4BRCcARIsAOD2OB0fHzwybaYZfXdcn1QP835DzpbeOnvY_sBwNRSc9Mu7DmdR1CF5mqAaAjp0EALw_wcB

I really like the look of these and can see various real-world and practical applications.  I'd have a bit of a concern about angled headstocks.  It appears that the upper foam insert (for the neck) is removable.  It may need to be turned through 180 degrees for use with angled headstock basses, or maybe I'm missing something or there are custom inserts 

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

There was a similar item in Aluminium at the LBGS a couple of years ago - stored more than 2 basses, I might add.

I think @ped has one IIRC

Scott Dixon cases - mine is a slightly cheaper version made by Fender I think under licence.

Scott Dixon ones are in the same price bracket (550 or make offer on Ebay, new) and are silver and shiny. I have a Scott Dixon pedal board and it is just a lovely piece of kit. If I was in the market for anything like this I would be all over a Scott Dixon like a bad rash. I have often fancied a 2nd hand 3 bass one just cos they are cool. I am pretty sure they will make whatever you want. 

• 3 weeks later...

Looks great, the ones at LBGS were as said, silver & shiny, held 3 basses, and I really liked the look of them. For touring I’d think they would be amazing, instead of 2 or 3 hard cases you have one, on wheels, which doubles as your on-stage stand. 

• 1 year later...

Haven’t got one yet despite it being over a year since I first saw them! But I’m still considering one, mainly because it would double up nicely as both a very rugged case and a very rugged stand. I need to get some measurements on the width of the Enki and the width of the gap it would hypothetically slot into in my bedroom studio before I make a decision.

The alternative is a Gruv Gear Kapsule (possibly a Duo version) which wouldn’t serve as a stand at all but the storage space could be a godsend with how frequently I’m on tour - I might be able to replace a suitcase + single bass case with a Kapsule Duo 🤔

• 1 year later...

Let me know on how you find them. 

In as much as how you find them regarding basses in and out regularly at gigs; and the practicality of using one at a gig as a bass hold-all on stage to replace a couple of stands. 

Been toying with the idea for ages. Also less chances of an opportunistic case snatch, when they’re a lot larger than a gig bag. 

Just interested in a sort of real world gigging scenario. 

Paul

Well, it's just arrived.

First impressions? Excellent, and the basses are a snug and solid fit. Just needed to move the foam around (which it's designed to do) to accommodate them and we're good to go (literally). Gives the impression that they'll be safe as houses while in it. Not sure I'll use it on stage but I didn't really intend to. Who knows? I may do.

• Like 3

On 13/12/2022 at 22:50, E sharp said:

Let me know on how you find them. 

In as much as how you find them regarding basses in and out regularly at gigs; and the practicality of using one at a gig as a bass hold-all on stage to replace a couple of stands. 

Been toying with the idea for ages. Also less chances of an opportunistic case snatch, when they’re a lot larger than a gig bag. 

Just interested in a sort of real world gigging scenario. 

Paul

Having taken basses in and out of the case,. I am not convinced it's a brilliant option on stage. You have to lift the bass up and out, as opposed to just lift it off a stand. The body of the instrument is pretty much entirely concealed and so some care is needed to avoid any contact with the case.

The convenience/security of the instruments still far outweighs this for me. Others may not be concerned that you have to be rather careful removing/replacing basses. 

• Thanks 1

Well, mine arrived damaged (although it could just be a bad day at the factory, it's hard to tell); not sure what that says about how much good it would be in an aircraft hold. It's otherwise an impressive piece of kit, so all going well i'm getting a replacement although currently the retailer in question is out of stock....

One thing that was noticeable is that a standard Fender Bass only just fits length-wise, initially I thought they'd sent me the guitar version. It's a very good/tight fit for sure, but as @Steve Browning said, it's not an easy in and out so perhaps not great on stage unless there's serious risk of damage. Having said this I've played a couple of gigs - mostly functions - where I'd certainly have put up with the hassle to keep the basses away from the "This your's mate, nice, can I have a go...?" punters :) 

• Like 1

Arriving damaged isn't a great start! Hope the replacement isn't too slow in arriving.

I was thinking 'what's going on here' until I realised the foam at the top was removable. Mine are all Fender types and so the fit is perfect. I have never been a Thunderbird man (way too cool for me) but I never will be now.

Overall, very happy, but I am not thinking it's gping to be on-stage, unless the audience is such that it's a sensible option!

11 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

Arriving damaged isn't a great start! Hope the replacement isn't too slow in arriving.

I was thinking 'what's going on here' until I realised the foam at the top was removable. Mine are all Fender types and so the fit is perfect. I have never been a Thunderbird man (way too cool for me) but I never will be now.

Overall, very happy, but I am not thinking it's gping to be on-stage, unless the audience is such that it's a sensible option!

Suspect you play to a better class of audience than me Steve 👍

• 3 weeks later...

Update on my case, a frustrating process. The problem was that the hinge for the cover was bent when the case arrived, which meant that it was not only hard to get the cover off, but once it was off, it was almost impossible to get it back on, it took me 15 minutes and was very fiddly, certainly not the sort of thing I want to be doing in a rush at the end of a gig in poor light. I went back to Andertons and requested a replacement to which they agreed initially, bit then indicated that as they had no stock they'd have to contact the supplier for a replacement. The supplier subsequently offered to send a replacement hinge for me to fix the unit myself; yeh tight, DIY repair on a £550 case that was faulty on arrival. Not unreasonably I said no and insisted on a replacement. The supplier indicated they'll only do so once they've received my case and inspected it, which strikes me as pretty poor. Andertons have been great - although I suspect they should have recognised that as the seller the onus was on them to sort me a replacement - and are now accepting it back for a refund. I've no idea who the supplier is but they've just lost a sale. It's a shame as it's a good piece of kit :( 

• Sad 1