Why become a member? ×

Is this wiring wrong?

Sardonicus

When I changed the pickups in my Jazz Bass, I found that the neck pickup output was connected to the neck volume pot but the earth/ground was connected to the bridge volume pot.  The bridge pickup output was connected to the bridge volume pot but the earth/ground was connected to the neck volume pot....what kind of madness is this?  Is this normal, because it goes against everything I was always told.

On 05/07/2020 at 15:03, Big Rich said:

When I changed the pickups in my Jazz Bass, I found that the neck pickup output was connected to the neck volume pot but the earth/ground was connected to the bridge volume pot.  The bridge pickup output was connected to the bridge volume pot but the earth/ground was connected to the neck volume pot....what kind of madness is this?  Is this normal, because it goes against everything I was always told.

How did it sound? I always thought as all the earths are connected together it shouldn’t matter where they go, as long as its all to earth. Never seen it doesn’t like that though. 

@dave_bass5 I swapped them back to how I know them to be; neck pickup wires to the neck pot and bridge pickup wires to the bridge pot, I don;t think the original way really affected the sound to be fair but it just didn't look right.

I have already taken delivery of a Jazz Bass Loom from @KiOgon and I'm looking forward to a pain free installation over the weekend. 

It makes absolutely no difference. Connect it to the place that is most convenient to you, and the first place you can. Generally you would put them to the same pot as then you know where the wires are if you want to move them but it certainly isn't worth the effort of moving them and makes no electrical or sound difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Big Rich said:

@dave_bass5 I swapped them back to how I know them to be; neck pickup wires to the neck pot and bridge pickup wires to the bridge pot, I don;t think the original way really affected the sound to be fair but it just didn't look right.

I have already taken delivery of a Jazz Bass Loom from @KiOgon and I'm looking forward to a pain free installation over the weekend. 

Nice one. Ive got one of his looms in my Squier CV jazz. Very neat and tidy work