Why become a member? ×

Barefaced super compact.

Dandelion

Just a quick query..
I have read all the blurb, but does the super compact really have the output to cope with large pub / club type gigs?

It will be paired with 500w at 4ohm amp.

Five piece band  with a loud drummer.

We do have PA support but I prefer to run solo as much a possible

Edited by Dandelion

No - you'll only be putting out about 300w thru the 8 ohm cab. You'll be pushing very hard to keep up imho. You'll need 2 x 8 ohm cabs or a single 4 ohm to grab some headroom back and get the full output.

• Thanks 1

There are a couple of Super 12 Cabs in the marketplace at the moment (forerunner of the Super Twin). Not much taller than a compact, 4ohms and will go as loud as you’ll probably ever need.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I used to gig with a Gen 2 Compact, I think it was a 15" driver, and a Markbass LM2.  We were a pub rock band with a very loud drummer. It coped, but sounded compressed to my ears so I think it was just about at the limit of what the amp could do. Agree with Mudpup. 300w is not really enough in a loud band.

• Thanks 1

I’ve gigged a Super Compact in a pub with a loud rock band, no PA support. It was fine. The amp? Trace Elliot Elf. So probably pushing around 130W. PA support would have given a lot more bottom end and filled the room with a bigger “wumpf” but it coped - the cab wasn’t breaking a sweat of course. Not sure it’s the best idea longer term as the amp was being push very hard indeed.

I’d go with two SCs or a Super12/Super Twin if I was going to be gigging a lot without PA support.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Deedee said:

There are a couple of Super 12 Cabs in the marketplace at the moment (forerunner of the Super Twin). Not much taller than a compact, 4ohms and will go as loud as you’ll probably ever need.

Agree, I never needed anything more than a Super12 with a 500 watt amp head. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My SC is paired with a DG AO900 amp which puts out 450W at 8 ohm, so I can make full use of the SCs load capacity, if I need. But I've never really needed to push the amp too hard. 5 piece rock band (but very well behaved / controlled drummer).

I find the SC has excellent dispersion and can handle a decent sized pub venue. 

• Thanks 2

I have a 1000w Orange Terror head, super compact and midget. Never ever had the amp above about 3/10 at a gig. Wound it up to 7 or 8 to see what it could do an an outdoor event and our drummer could hear me half a mile away as he drove in. I have used the supercompact on its own several times at medium sized pubs/ clubs and never found it wanting.

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Deedee said:

This.....

• Thanks 1

Actually , one last question... Then I will clear off.

I can obtain a preowned gen2 super 12 from here for about £600.

But for £350 more notes I can order a brand new gen3  super twin with those new fangled drivers.

Is it worth the extra cash?

Edited by Dandelion

3 minutes ago, Dandelion said:

Actually , one last question... Then I will clear off.

I can obtain a preowned gen2 super 12 from here for about £600.

But for £350 more notes I can order a brand new gen3  super twin with those new fangled drivers.

Is it worth the extra cash?

I've had both and I'm sure there's lots of science behind the improvements but to be honest in a band situation I was hard pushed to tell the difference. They just both sounded great to my ears. The Super 12s do hold their prices but used Super Twins can usually be had for not too much more if you're prepared to wait for one to come up. If you've got the spare cash for new go for the Super Twin, but you certainly won't be disappointed if you decide to go for the older model.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Deedee said:

Glad to help.

Now I think I’ve talked myself into buying yet another BF cab 😂

Well SEVEN is the number of BF cabs to beat I believe, so you'd better get a move on! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have used the Super Compact in various bands & been fine but I did play in one band where it wasn't enough. They were way too loud with no monitoring & a very loud drummer. Solution was to use a second Super Compact. 

I don't play with them anymore!

• Thanks 1

I had a single SC, then got a second one. Wasn't really needed so I moved it on and then regretted selling it so I bought a Super Twin.  Not much bigger than my SC but a fraction wider so my 19" rack unit fits properly (ish) on top.  Don't think I'll move it on.  Really impressed by the weight, looks and sound.

Dont wait for one to pop up. Be proactive and ask in the items wanted list. 

• Thanks 1

My SC was fine with a 500w markbass head (so prob 300w at 8ohm) until I ended up in a large building, with a high ceiling. Then it really struggled with everything maxed out too. All the sound disappeared quickly.

In fairness it wasnt the right tool for the job.

In all honesty, I'd go twin as a minimum (if not a 4x10 upwards). Not much bigger and all that extra there on tap.

• Thanks 1

On 05/07/2020 at 14:41, Dandelion said:

Just a quick query..
I have read all the blurb, but does the super compact really have the output to cope with large pub / club type gigs?

It will be paired with 500w at 4ohm amp.

Five piece band  with a loud drummer.

We do have PA support but I prefer to run solo as much a possible

I thought the Super Compact would be a one cab solution but I found out, with a 550w amp, at 4 ohms, it has a difficulty keeping up with a loud drummer.

I ended up upgrading to an 800w amp, which made a difference.

In the end I just went back to my old Barefaced Compact 1x15, which is more than able to be loud enough in all band situations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1