Why become a member? ×

Unequal magnets?

Sardonicus

I just installed a set of new Wilkinson WOJB Jazz Bass pickups in my J&D Jazz Bass and the output of the D and G strings  are about 30% compared to the 100% of the E and A strings.  The pole pieces are all level and my soldering is fine but the standout thing for me was the unequal magnets on the back of the neck pickup, the E and A have a thick magnet but the D and G have a much thinner magnet, more than coincidence I’m thinking.

Is this the problem?    The bridge pickup has one magnet along the whole pickup, as did the old pickups.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

79E54EFD-D926-4F8F-8BAE-0D7B4F0E3760.jpeg

** UPDATE **

I got an answer back from the seller, it transpires that Wilkinson's new Vari-Guass system boosts the E and A strings only, admittedly they sound fantastic but now the D and G strings sound pathetic.  I was told that they had had only good reviews but in my opinion, it renders the bass unplayable....why would you want a bass with 2 strings louder than the other 2 strings?  IT MAKES NO SENSE !!!

I can't return them as they have been soldered in, if anybody wants to buy them, I'll take £20 and that includes next day delivery to anywhere.

2 hours ago, gjones said:

The different size magnets seem to be correct on that pickup, according to the picture on this website. 

If it they aren't fit for purpose send them back.

https://stratosphereparts.com/new-wilkinson-wojb-ceramic-for-fender-jazz-bass-pickup-set-pickups/

The pictures on that website are incorrect as only the neck pickup has the thicker magnet under the E and A, the bridge pickup has a magnet of equal thickness along it's entire length.  I agree that the tone it provides is perfect rock Rock and Punk, but only if you play the E and A strings only 😂

If anyone fancies giving them a try, I will be taking some pics and putting an advert on Basschat very soon.  Watch this space.

12 hours ago, ezbass said:

If these are not fit for purpose, soldered or not, they should go back. Take it up with Wilkinson perhaps?

Was going to say the same. No way you should be out of pocket if they don’t do the job you expected them to do.

On 06/07/2020 at 09:25, Big Rich said:

** UPDATE **

I got an answer back from the seller, it transpires that Wilkinson's new Vari-Guass system boosts the E and A strings only, admittedly they sound fantastic but now the D and G strings sound pathetic.  I was told that they had had only good reviews but in my opinion, it renders the bass unplayable....why would you want a bass with 2 strings louder than the other 2 strings?  IT MAKES NO SENSE !!!

I can't return them as they have been soldered in, if anybody wants to buy them, I'll take £20 and that includes next day delivery to anywhere.

This is a real shame as all the Wilkinson pickups I've had have been excellent products, I really think you should try and contact Wilkinson about this

Edited by shoulderpet

Calling Adam Clayton...

** UPDATE **

Hi

I know ive already said it but I really do think you should contact Wilkinson as this cannot be right, those pickups have got to be faulty ,   https://www.jhs.co.uk/contact-us

Hi,

I had a similar experience with a set of Wilkinson jazz pickups. I ended up having a long email conversation with Alan Entwwistle.

Appears that some of the magnets can get twisted when they are placed in the pickup.

Their manufacturers were notified but this may have got through testing?

I took mine apart and eventually got it working properly by rotating each of the magnets and comparing the results. Best to mark the original top sides first and then write a list of the results.

Regards,

Doug

I found the email I received:

Hi Doug,

Most likely what has happened is that one of the magnets has spun around, Neodymium is so damned powerful that this can happen, and it is something that we did not realise at first.
      All the magnets should have the SAME polarity facing the pole pieces, now if just one of those gets turned around the magnetic field goes almost dead.
      The easiest way to remedy this is to check the two magnets on the offending side and see if they are "pushing" against each other, if they are pulling and pushing then there is your problem.
        The pickup should be like this:
                                                    N  N             N   N            N    N             N    N
                                                   S  S        S  S        S   S        S   S
                    OO   OO   OO   OO < Pole Pieces 
                                     S  S         S  S        S  S         S  S
                                      N  N               N  N              N  N              N  N
   I know it seems a bit rich telling a customer how to fix a faulty pickup, (and it is) but by the sounds of it you know what you are doing, so have a go, if it sorts the problem out you can glue the loose magnets on with super glue, but be careful as you could end up going to A&E wearing a Jazz Bass pickup. ( i ended up going into Brisbane A&E once with my arm stuck in an acoustic soundhole!)
      I am copying in Simon Twine who is in charge of Entwistle distribution.
                                                                                                             All the best
                                                                                                                             Alan

2 minutes ago, irvined said:

I found the email I received:

Hi Doug,

Most likely what has happened is that one of the magnets has spun around, Neodymium is so damned powerful that this can happen, and it is something that we did not realise at first.

I'm pretty sure Wilkinson pickups don't use neodymium magnets???

I've decided to keep them and see if I can put both of the thicker magnets under the neck pickup, I love a project and this should keep me busy for an afternoon.

** UPDATE  **
Well that was a waste of an hour  😂, I took off the thin magnet and put both the thicker magnets on one pickup but it was still all for the E and A 🤷🏻‍♂️.  It was worth a try though.

Edited by Big Rich
Update