Why become a member? ×

How to pick a new amp?

alexa3020

11 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

No, i tried to but he never got back to me......think i missed the boat.
I've decided on a Handbox instead i think 🙂 I was thinking about an older m900 but i think i just don't do microamps in gig situations (i'm not calling them class D anymore because it derails threads) 

Shame about the DG.

If you don't want to de-rail a thread then you can't refer to something like this as a microamp:

Genzler Amplification Magellan 800 Head review | MusicRadar

This is a micro-amp!

image.png.d5f528554133f72f29e00c8581d90b52.png

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

That wasn't a microamp - it was an Ashdown ABM i think. I rest my case......(said with a smile 😉)

Seriously, if that was an Ashdown, I'd get another. I've owned Thunderfunk amps since 2007. They are also SS and sound great, but then I can also get that sound out of my D class Aguilar.

I guess my main gripe is the inaccuracy of generalisations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

ICE = In Car Entertainment

Are you saying that is what they do or what  they did?

B&O/ICEpower are designing and manufacturing for the Hi-Fi audio,  music, studio and FOH industry's as well as car systems these days.

11 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Seriously, if that was an Ashdown, I'd get another. I've owned Thunderfunk amps since 2007. They are also SS and sound great, but then I can also get that sound out of my D class Aguilar.

I guess my main gripe is the inaccuracy of generalisations.

Another Abm600 was actually floating around my mind actually 🙂 The one that got away....
It's interesting about the Thunderfunk as well - i had one last year for about 6 months and found i didn't get on with it - sounded too close to a 'microamp' to my ears - I couldn't get it to do what i was looking for. But to be fair it had loads of adjustability and maybe i wasn't doing it right. It just goes to show we all have different  aims and tone goals doesn't it?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Shame about the DG.

If you don't want to de-rail a thread then you can't refer to something like this as a microamp:

Genzler Amplification Magellan 800 Head review | MusicRadar

This is a micro-amp!

image.png.d5f528554133f72f29e00c8581d90b52.png

You're correct! Has anyone patented 'midi amp' yet....if anyone wants one i know a bloke who's selling one....

I'm getting no work done today........

12 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

You're correct! Has anyone patented 'midi amp' yet....if anyone wants one i know a bloke who's selling one....

I'm getting no work done today........

Noooooo!!! If you say midi amp then you will have the Morningstar MC6 & 8 midi crew (led by @Quatschmacher and his minion army) up in arms!

D class it is, my good man. Lump it. The rest of us have to! 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Kind of obvious now that i see it. Bit of a "DOH !!!!!" moment there :facepalm:

Bet you all laughed at me :lol:

Dave

Dave - if it makes you any happier ICE was always the stuff I put in diet cokes and generally sinks Titanics.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Dave - if it makes you any happier ICE was always the stuff I put in diet cokes and generally sinks Titanics.

Its also the "In Case of Emergency" contact details on your mobile. But i'll go with the ice in my whisky

Edited by dmccombe7

4 hours ago, chris_b said:

Are you saying that is what they do or what  they did?

B&O/ICEpower are designing and manufacturing for the Hi-Fi audio,  music, studio and FOH industry's as well as car systems these days.

Not at all, I was simply defining the acronym for anyone unfamiliar with the term. (I'm a drummer; what do I care about Class D or 'heft'..? :lol: )

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Not at all, I was simply defining the acronym for anyone unfamiliar with the term. (I'm a drummer; what do I care about Class D or 'heft'..? :lol: )

Many years ago I spent an interesting hour with our drummer demoing brass snares, deep, piccolo snares and different tunings of the various drums. It was very informative. His brass snare certainly had heft.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

Many years ago I spent an interesting hour with our drummer demoing brass snares, deep, piccolo snares and different tunings of the various drums. It was very informative. His brass snare certainly had heft.

gPlcn2H.jpg

You are Ross Garfield, and I claim my £5..! 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the Ashdown Rootmaster head. It’s quite a nice little amp, but probably not enough of an improvement on what I’ve got.

Im not sure I rate the rootmaster cabs though - they’re quite punchy but no depth to the bass

I plugged in an ashdown Abm 115 cab and it was too boomy. Both together were quite nice.

i wonder if the 2x10 might be better as this seems like a pretty good deal.

https://m.thomann.de/gb/ashdown_abm_210t_compact.htm

I also tried the aguiar th700 with 1 db12 cab. Lovely sounding but i dont think a single cab was loud enough 2 cabs brings me way over budget.

And that’s all I’ve been able to try so far. Need to find a shop in Cambridgeshire/Bedfordshire with better selections.

thanks for everyone’s input so far.

the search continues...

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

There’s Coda Music in Stevenage, or may be worth trying a bit further afield - PMT in Northampton have a good amount of bass gear.

Good shout - I didn’t know coda was still going.

is Tottenham Court Road in London still full of music shops?

After some research, I’m thinking of the following cabs:

2 x orange obc12 - they look great but some people say they are cheaply made. Expensive

markbass 212 New York. You don’t see many rock bands using markbass it’s 800w @ 4ohm - will my Tc bq500 be powerful enough as some people say you don’t get 500w output @ 4ohm - more like 300w

TC Electronic RS212

Aesthetically my favourite, no stock anywhere at the moment - are they still in production? £580 on amazon who are awaiting stock.

i really want a lightweight 2 x12 as I don’t think 2x10 will be man enough. 4x10 too bulky. purchase won’t be made till next month. Around £700 is budget and I want new.

not sure if I’ll get a head.

any comments on these would be really useful.

Thanks

• Like 1

+1 on the ACS moulded ear protection.  I wouldn't be without it!

+1 on Ashdown amps too.  When my TE AH500 head died I got an Ashdown 500 and I love it (with TE cabs).  I play in an originals rock band.

Oh, and a Sansamp pedal of your choice.  I've used the BDDI for over ten years and I'm really happy with it.

Edited by inthedoghouse
Typo
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, alexa3020 said:

After some research, I’m thinking of the following cabs:

2 x orange obc12 - they look great but some people say they are cheaply made. Expensive

markbass 212 New York. You don’t see many rock bands using markbass it’s 800w @ 4ohm - will my Tc bq500 be powerful enough as some people say you don’t get 500w output @ 4ohm - more like 300w

TC Electronic RS212

Aesthetically my favourite, no stock anywhere at the moment - are they still in production? £580 on amazon who are awaiting stock.

i really want a lightweight 2 x12 as I don’t think 2x10 will be man enough. 4x10 too bulky. purchase won’t be made till next month. Around £700 is budget and I want new.

not sure if I’ll get a head.

any comments on these would be really useful.

Thanks

I tried an Orange Terror thru 2off obc12 cabs in Guitar Guitar and they were solid and lovely sounding little cabs. I thought they looked well made as i had a good look at them. I was originally in trying Fender P basses but was more interested in the bass rig. Did consider buying it but went with 2nd hand Mesa rig.

I also went for 2x12 Mesa cab but its the full weight version. That was mainly because i always think the 210's just don't have that oomph for rock music. (Yes i know its all subjective and down to personal taste and many will argue that but its just my own opinion having used a combination of 10's, 12's and 15's over 40+ yrs.)

The 212 cabs for me are a good balance between 10's and 15's.

I have a Berg cab with a 12 & 2x10's and that is lovely sounding cab but so heavy. Use it for larger venues where i need the full amp output.

I have a mate uses the TC RS212 cabs and he has a really nice tone using anything from a Ric, P, or thunderbird basses. They all sound really nice and powerful in his rock covers band. He does tend to use 2 off 212 cabs tho.

Dave  

• Like 1