Why become a member? ×

First rehearsal since lockdown and we were awful!!!

thebrig

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it, just use it as an inspiration to get back up to speed.  I certainly think there'll be a lot of bands that need to spend time getting back to where they were pre lockdown. And if nothing else, it will highlight the areas you need to focus on

I had an interesting virtual beer with a couple of musician friends the other week.  One has used the opportunities presented by lockdown (he works as a caretaker in a school - with the school shut he's only needed to go in a couple of times a week to make sure that there's nothing which needs attention) and is up to 10 hours of guitar practice on a good day (when not a caretaker, he is a semi-pro guitarist in a reasonably well known band in their genre).

The other (guitar & vox) was exasperated with the rest of his band because they are using any excuse not to practice their instruments and write the parts for the next album (as they had agreed to do when lockdown hit).  They play quite complicated stuff, and the drummer doesn't seem to have touched his drums for the last three months.  First rehearsal back is going to be interesting...

On 05/07/2020 at 06:14, thebrig said:

We met up for a rehearsal at our drummer's place where he has a massive marquee set up in his garden, so no problems with social distancing, but it was the first time that I had played for longer than about 15/20 minutes since I severed two tendons above my forefinger nine week's ago, and I have to admit that it was not only quite painful, but it felt really strange because the scar tissue is still very tight and my movement is restricted, so my fingers weren't going where they used to go automatically, but I was told by the surgeon that it would be at least six months before things return to normal so I'm not too down about that.

What was more worrying though was the fact that we were all really rusty and our timing was all over the place, I'm sure it will be much better next time, but I'm wondering if this is normal after such a long lay off, and how have your first sessions back gone?

Marquee3.jpg

Had the same experience (minus injuries) a few weeks ago. We were awful. Drummer ( or should I say ex-drummer) is freaked about pandemic, and that's ok of course, so we had to make a go of it without a complete band.

We did three rehearsals and actually played a "gig", no drummer of course, outdoors at the singers company picnic at his lake house. It get's better, so no worries. 

People aren't getting music live entertainment these and days and a couple of people asked if we'd be playing all summer at the lake lol.

We are planning to play out doors at our usual rehearsal space once the weather has improved. Often, with a break, I find we can sound better, people are listening and concentrating and not going through the motions. That's jazz for you. Mind you, this is the longest break, ever. We also have 2 horn players, and thinking they need to stand well away and down wind of the rest of us. 

On 05/07/2020 at 11:14, thebrig said:

We met up for a rehearsal at our drummer's place where he has a massive marquee set up in his garden, so no problems with social distancing, but it was the first time that I had played for longer than about 15/20 minutes since I severed two tendons above my forefinger nine week's ago, and I have to admit that it was not only quite painful, but it felt really strange because the scar tissue is still very tight and my movement is restricted, so my fingers weren't going where they used to go automatically, but I was told by the surgeon that it would be at least six months before things return to normal so I'm not too down about that.

What was more worrying though was the fact that we were all really rusty and our timing was all over the place, I'm sure it will be much better next time, but I'm wondering if this is normal after such a long lay off, and how have your first sessions back gone?

Marquee3.jpg

Anything by Televison on the setlist, maybe off Marquee Moon?