Why become a member? ×

First rehearsal since lockdown and we were awful!!!

thebrig

We met up for a rehearsal at our drummer's place where he has a massive marquee set up in his garden, so no problems with social distancing, but it was the first time that I had played for longer than about 15/20 minutes since I severed two tendons above my forefinger nine week's ago, and I have to admit that it was not only quite painful, but it felt really strange because the scar tissue is still very tight and my movement is restricted, so my fingers weren't going where they used to go automatically, but I was told by the surgeon that it would be at least six months before things return to normal so I'm not too down about that.

What was more worrying though was the fact that we were all really rusty and our timing was all over the place, I'm sure it will be much better next time, but I'm wondering if this is normal after such a long lay off, and how have your first sessions back gone?

Marquee3.jpg

I' have this coming up next weekend, except that after meeting up and doing a run through, we're streaming live 😬. However, band members (well at least me and the drummer) have been practising along to the originals ('80s covers) to make sure our chops are up to snuff.

One of my bands doesn't have any pressing gigs on the books and to be honest I'm doubtful we will be at a level I'd be happy about gigging this side of new year. We still have no plans to start rehearsing yet so I'm expecting a long rebooting. It's not beyond possibility that the band will fizzle out entirely.

We had ours last week in an 8 bedroom private house that has a very large function room where we played our first gig last year. We all made a few mistakes but the passion, drive and silliness of 70's Glam Rock was all still there. Most of the songs we did were still good enough to get away with at a gig. Usually the re-arranged endings were the main issue.

I was pretty happy with it and back in on Wed again.

Dave 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubit said:

When we were playing regularly I used to find that if we didn't rehearse a lot we would be very rusty. if I don't keep playing I forget stuff so easily.

Me too. I need to run thru our full set list at least once a week between rehearsals.

We dropped a couple of songs in Jan and decided to revisit last week and i was completely lost. Had to sit and have a listen thru first before i could even make a stab at them. I reckon its my age tho. You've no excuse @ubit :laugh1:

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Me too. I need to run thru our full set list at least once a week between rehearsals.

We dropped a couple of songs in Jan and decided to revisit last week and i was completely lost. Had to sit and have a listen thru first before i could even make a stab at them. I reckon its my age tho. You've no excuse @ubit :laugh1:

This is the reason I rarely take music shop workers up on their offer of "try anything you want" because I know I will completely forget my repertoire of impressive but not often used licks! 😉

Edited by ubit
Forgot the capital
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

We dropped a couple of songs in Jan and decided to revisit last week and i was completely lost. Had to sit and have a listen thru first before i could even make a stab at them.

I have even found songs that I have played for years and know back to front have completely left me at the worst moment. Being the bass player and the singist I have to remember both parts!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Slappindabass said:

We had a a rehearsal Thursday, it was ok. But didnt realise we were breaking the rules by doing so. So I will not be going to another.

I'm not sure if we were breaking the rules, there were just three of us and the marquee is massive, its much larger than it looks in the photo, the side was open and we were all standing at least five metres apart.

To be honest, I felt safer in the marquee rehearsing than I do when doing essential shopping in Sainsbury's or Tesco's where a lot of people don't practise social distancing 🙁

I'm happy that some of you have managed to rehearse. I'm dying to get together with my band mates but our rehearsal room is small with no real ventilation. Too risky to get together - especially with a likely 2nd wave given the weekend scenes. I think, in our case, a rehearsal could be months away 😢

21 minutes ago, gjones said:

I envy you. I'd love a rehearsal and I wouldn't care if it was $hite. 😄

Yes it was good to have a session again and I'm not too bothered about us being a bit shoddy because I'm sure the next time will be a lot better.

I was just wondering how others faired in their first knocks after such a long time. 🙂

We frequently go a few months between rehearsals in one of my bands. Sometimes we are a bit rusty, others we seem spot on. If it has been a longer than normal amount of time we seem better - my theory is that we have all put more effort in to get ready but that could be rubbish.

I hadn't picked up a bass for weeks during lockdown but have spent quite a bit of time noodling on 6 string electric. In fact, I bought a new amp and a few effects pedals to muck about with. So, the other day I picked up a bass to run over a few bits and pieces and it was like mixing concrete with a giant shovel. Going to have to put in a bit of work to get hands and fingers up to strength now.

4 hours ago, thebrig said:

I'm not sure if we were breaking the rules, there were just three of us and the marquee is massive, its much larger than it looks in the photo, the side was open and we were all standing at least five metres apart.

To be honest, I felt safer in the marquee rehearsing than I do when doing essential shopping in Sainsbury's or Tesco's where a lot of people don't practise social distancing 🙁

To be fair the difference between passing someone in Asda for 30 seconds or standing next to someone with a guitar for a 3 hour practise is a bit different. I agree though your set up looks great. 2 households in doors only. That's the killer for studios. Who should be checking really.