Why become a member? ×

Will a new bass inspire more playing?

NJE

3 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I played Schools Out right through for the first time aside from a couple of changes at the end (I've been learning it today...)

Great song. Its our opening song in 70's Glam Rock covers band.

Dave

• Like 1

On 05/07/2020 at 11:30, Reggaebass said:

A new bass always works for me, then I end up picking up my other basses, and I remember why I bought them in the first place 🙂

Same. Sometimes a kick start is all thats needed, and a new bass can give you that. 

• Like 1

On 16/07/2020 at 08:10, krispn said:

Looks like a fun list. I’d recommend the Scary Pocket channel on You Tube for more inspiring funk - it’s a bit of a hipster collective playing reworked covers mostly in a very funky style. Some of, well actually most of the bass playing is tight as and the musicianship across the board is top notch! 

Aargh. Hated that. Gimme the original any day. 

On 16/07/2020 at 08:10, krispn said:

Looks like a fun list. I’d recommend the Scary Pocket channel on You Tube for more inspiring funk - it’s a bit of a hipster collective playing reworked covers mostly in a very funky style. Some of, well actually most of the bass playing is tight as and the musicianship across the board is top notch! 

I love this band. Wouldn’t say some of their versions are better than the originals, but i love their take on some of them. Nice easy listening with a good groove.

The bass player’s head is a mystery. I can’t believe it hasn’t fallen off yet 😂

• Haha 1

I've been through this a couple of times when I really thought I'd finally given up playing bass (or guitar) after over 40 years of playing and being in bands for much of that time, including a pro band.

For me it was a combination of pub/club gigs attendances not being what they used to be and the disappointment of latterly being in a couple of (cover) bands that simply failed to meet my expectations.  I used to check the ads on Join My Band and local FB pages several times a day sometimes, but either found nothing or timewasters.  I was thinking something along the lines of 'if this is all there is I can't be bothered' and I totally lost interest in all my lovely instruments and music in general.  As BB King sang, 'the thrill is gone'.  I suppose in some ways it was linked to depression, which I am prone to sometimes.  The final nail was my partner's cancer diagnosis late last year (she's ok now).

But ... an oppotunity arrived out of the blue just before lockdown and I was invited to join an originals rock band with a couple of guys I've known for a long time.  We've had several rehearsals and I couldn't be happier with the style or quality of the music I'm playing now (although we are agreed the drummer could do with pulling his finger out a bit).  It's done a great deal to raise my spirits and enthusiasm with the band telling me how much better it sounds with me and they appreciate my pro attitude.

Good luck - I hope you find something to help you along, whatever it may be.

Edited by inthedoghouse
Typo
  • Like 2

Must admit i go through phases of not wanting to play at home. Same reason as the OP, i know my bands set well enough (more than they do), so i dont bother playing those at home. I do enjoy learning songs for myself though, but have to be in the right frame of mind. 

During lockdown ive hardly touch my basses. Took about a month before i picked one up, but thoroughly enjoyed it. Then out of the blue i thought I’d by a synth. Ended up getting two in June and not touched, or want to touch a bass for a long time to come, but i know i will at some point and i know ill enjoy it.

Funny how GAS hits you. 

• Like 1