Why become a member? ×

Hello, from Somerset UK

Ivorytusk

Hi everyone,

I'm Jonny. Been playing since the mid nineties which should mean I'm pretty experienced, however, I accidentally took a 15 year break due to joining the navy and starting a family etc. Oops. Anyway, I'm now starting again and trying to get back in the game.

I play an active GSP kind of P-bass style thing with a P style and a soap box pickup. Although I'm looking at upgrading soon.

Always used to play in rock/indie bands but would love to master jazz and funk really. I'm a bit of a Stuart Zender fan but also like a bit of Jaco. However, I generally listen to all sorts of different things which would take me forever to list.

Anyway, it's good to be here and I hope to here from a few of you.

Thanks,

Jonny

:crigon_04:

Welcome back to the fold. I had to read your intro twice as I was wondering how one accidentally joins the Navy :lol:. Not a lot of room on ship for a bass, the pits are tiny for a junior rate (my daughter is an RPO so I have a secondhand insight).

On 05/07/2020 at 10:01, Bassybert said:

HI Jonny, welcome to the forum.

Where are you based in Somerset? I'm a fellow wurzel myself living in a village near bridgwater

Hello mate, I'm in Yeovil, so not too far from yourself. I'm from the South East originally but ended up here due to my career choice. Can't grumble though, there's plenty of good cider over this way!

• Haha 1

On 05/07/2020 at 11:46, ezbass said:

:crigon_04:

Welcome back to the fold. I had to read your intro twice as I was wondering how one accidentally joins the Navy :lol:. Not a lot of room on ship for a bass, the pits are tiny for a junior rate (my daughter is an RPO so I have a secondhand insight).

Ha ha, the good old Regulating Branch eh. You never know, I might know your daughter. I've bumped into a few Reggie's in my time (but always managed to stay on the right side of them luckily). Yeah, I kind of had to put everything I owned into storage in my parents house when I joined up, as I didn't think there would be a lot of space for instruments. I was originally a guitarist as well, so I have a few too many guitars, basses and amps to take on board. Although, ironically, in twelve years I hardly saw any ships. Mainly went to the desert and the Arctic!? Who'd have thought it.

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome.

What sort of stuff are you guys into playing? Any more Zender fans?

• Like 1

On 05/07/2020 at 11:46, ezbass said:

Welcome back to the fold. I had to read your intro twice as I was wondering how one accidentally joins the Navy :lol:

You don't look carefully what is in the bottom of your flaggon of ale before drinking it.

1 hour ago, Ivorytusk said:

Hello mate, I'm in Yeovil, so not too far from yourself.

Hello fellow Yeovil dweller, there are a couple of us here. Are you in one of the local groups (although we are all waiting for the venues to open again!).

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Ivorytusk said:

Ah, more Yeovilites! No, not in a band at present. Saying that, I haven't been in one for about 17 years! How about you?

Yep, a couple. Rexes Hollow is the main one. Watching the calendar tick our cancelled gigs away, this year was a good one too, montecute festival, VE day festival, lots of ourdoor ones which would have been nice and just started going to the weymouth gigs too!