Why become a member? ×

ESP Ltd B208FM At Thomann

Delberthot

Having a browse as you do in Thomann and I spotted the B208FM at the relatively ridiculous price of £365 so I decided to buy one 

Here's the link as they seem to have more of them. I think it's been discontinued in favour of the spalted maple one which is £599 and looks like the same bass.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/espltd_b208.htm

I remember going to McCormack's in Glasgow and drooling over the one they had in stock and had a good play with one

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

They are lighter, an octave up. so the smallest one is wire, the rest are still wound though.

8 string basses are a lot of fun. I found the ESPs a bit chunky but that is a good price for an 8 string.

I have a secret hankering I must confess. Is it possible to describe the difference between an 8 string bass and a four through an octave pedal? 

3 hours ago, stewblack said:

I have a secret hankering I must confess. Is it possible to describe the difference between an 8 string bass and a four through an octave pedal? 

If you mean an 8 string without effects vs. A 4 string with an octave pedal; 

The octaved 4 will have the original string frequency and an octave lower.

The 8 string will have the usual pitching of the 4 plus an octave higher. 

You'd need a pitch-shifter set to up an octave and a roughly 50/50 wet/dry mix to even get close. 

Both the octave pedal and pitch-shifter will exhibit some tracking errors or delay. The 8 string is just... Boom. It's there.

An 8 string through an octave pedal? A mess, at a guess.

Edit- unless the bass has separate outputs for the different courses of strings. That could be good. 

Edited by Lfalex v1.1
  • Like 2

Ah, I misread the original question. No, simple answer, it doesn't sound much like an octave pedal at all. The 8 string sounds rich, the 4 string with a shifter sounds like a 4 string with a synth harmonic.

I believe there is a thread around here showing the differences.

On 05/07/2020 at 11:55, howdenspur said:

Nice! Looking at the spalted maple version (there are more photos), I think there is one saddle per string...is that right?

No definitely a separate saddle for each string looking at the 208SM photos.

Edit: looks like the same bridge and tailpiece that all the far-eastern made 8-string basses use - Dean, Schecter etc.

Edited by BigRedX

On 07/07/2020 at 18:33, Grahambythesea said:

I play a 12 string guitar from time to time, but just don’t see the point of an 8 string bass. 

The you need to play one. The sound is extra rich and ideal for post-punk bass lines.

I've got a hankering for one of these now even though I don't really need it.

38 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

The you need to play one. The sound is extra rich and ideal for post-punk bass lines.

I've got a hankering for one of these now even though I don't really need it.

Me too!! Though I don't think I'd have much use for it I just like things that are a bit different!