Why become a member? ×

My first Limiter.

fretmeister

On 04/07/2020 at 18:38, fretmeister said:

Just got a Boss LMB-3

Quite different to the compressors I’m used to using. Does something very nice to the sound though.

I fear a new addiction is beginning.

What other good limiter pedals are there?

Same here, mine arrived Saturday morning.

Despite reading a few "sent it back, it does nothing" threads on other forums I picked one up from the classifieds here.

Really pleased with it, does a good job and can't find any fault with it. Despite only using it at home I'd have no hesitation in using it live.

I know it's fairly functional compared to most other compressors but I think it gets unfairly knocked. Probably because it says "BOSS" on it!

• Like 1

On 04/07/2020 at 19:43, MartinB said:

Oh boy, another chance to mention how much I love my Keeley Bassist! 😄

Yup it's very good! I posted this a couple of years' back in case of interest:

The Becos kit, which is another comp with ratio that can be set to infinity as @ped mentioned, is worth checking out too - has replaced my Keeley. Feature rich and really useful led monitoring. Great review here:

Glad you like it. I used to have an LMB-3 for years but now I use the simulation of it in my Roland VB99 which is the same but with more settings. In general I much prefer limiting to compression, it allows your dynamics to breathe but gives you that nice clear bottom line which helps your sound sit in a mix like it was lowered in by a funky chinook 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ian McFly said:

Tell me more! I just got one myself but I’m still figuring it out. Seems really good already. 

It's hard to find a bad setting! The automated attack/release timing seems to be just right. I've used it in the following ways:

• As a hard limiter (:1) at the end of my signal chain, so that it only catches the peaks from slapping/popping and barely touches normal fingerstyle playing - great for songs that have a mix of both styles. Also useful for taming envelope filters and phasers that can unexpectedly vary in output
  • As a compressor (≥ 4:1) before an overdrive pedal, so I can get a nice mild level of drive, and still dig in without it getting all farty and fizzy. I'll never own a vintage tube amp, but to my ears the combination of flatwounds -> compression -> drive gets me close enough to the sounds I love on 60s/early 70s records.

7 minutes ago, MartinB said:

As a hard limiter (:1) at the end of my signal chain, so that it only catches the peaks from slapping/popping and barely touches normal fingerstyle playing - great for songs that have a mix of both styles. Also useful for taming envelope filters and phasers that can unexpectedly vary in output

This ^^^

I recently bought an MXR M87 compressor and I'm using it at the end of my signal chain (this is what happens in recordings, so why not not on your board?). My EBS chorus (even with the wet/dry trim pot turned down as far as it'll go) gives a noticeable jump in output as does the octave, but not as much, so the M87 keeps that under control nicely. I have a 'limiter' on my amp, but at 3:1 it's very soft.