Why become a member? ×

My new Maruszczyk---"nitro gloss"?

Radchenko

24 minutes ago, No. 8 Wire said:

I think it is relevant.  The legal definition of custom isn't difficult it's in the directive, pretty cut and dried. However it's not needed as the customer isn't claiming no fault return, he's claiming a return/partial refund based on a defect. This is covered by his legal guarantee.

If this was bought from Germany, they are pretty hot on consumer rights. It wouldn't be that difficult to enforce barring language difficulties.

That all being said, it seems crazy to me.  Surely the manufacturer should just accept it back, repair the finish and send it back, that's all he's after isn't it?

OK, if it’s cut and dried, is this or is this not a custom bass? 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

If the bass or product is assembled from multiple parts which are offered as stock and normal, is it truly custom?
It seems to me that the manufacturer could put the options he offers together and sell it, but then it’s called stock?

If you couldn't have picked it up off the shelf and it was put together specifically as ordered, it is custom. And that is assuming that he didn't pick anything really custom, like mine has a neck that is completely custom and not off a pre-made part, I don't know about this one.

17 minutes ago, Beedster said:

OK, if it’s cut and dried, is this or is this not a custom bass? 

Custom simply means 'made to order' so as it wasn't simply taken off a shelf somewhere but was assembled to meet a customer's order requirement, it's custom.

IIRC that idea was challenged a while back because manufacturers were trying to avoid returns by making every item technically an order as opposed to a purchase. Either way, why am I getting in to this, it’s a minor issue here:) 

3 minutes ago, Beedster said:

IIRC that idea was challenged a while back because manufacturers were trying to avoid returns by making every item technically an order as opposed to a purchase. Either way, why am I getting in to this, it’s a minor issue here:) 

Because often as bassists we like minutia!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Ok that makes sense - I suppose it means that every bass whether Adrian picks its configuration or a customer picks it is a custom bass from Public Peace/Maruszczyk 

Most, but not all. If you look on the website there are a number of basses you can just buy as is. They are not custom, as you don't have any say in them. BUt anything from the configurator or built manually is.

12 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Yes, indeed. There are ‘in stock’ basses on his web site that are ‘custom’ models. For them to be able to argue that any combination of options offered in the configurator are not what they normally do is stretching it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Most, but not all. If you look on the website there are a number of basses you can just buy as is. They are not custom, as you don't have any say in them. BUt anything from the configurator or built manually is.

Yeah, I had a look at the website just out of interest to see if anything was remotely like what the OP got.

Essentially - the only real thing making it custom is the upgrade hardware and pick ups, which are paid for by the buyer!

Anyhow - I am sure it will resolve 

• Like 1

As one of the guy's stating "now looking elsewhere", I still can't get my head around why this has not been resolved.

Is this "Adrian" the owner of the company? he has to be surely because why has he still got a CS job?

I fully appreciate things can and will get past QC and end up getting to the customer, making them very disappointed etc,  but it's the "putting it right" bit that can still leave you smiling & happy.

If I had read on here that PP had jumped all over this, calmed the OP down and set about putting it right, I would still be ordering a Maruszczyk Bass.

Such a shame & I hope the OP gets it resolved "eventually"

• Like 2

Hello,

Still trying to solve It.

Today, I create a Bass like mine in configurator. 1871€

Now, more nordstrand pickups modelos are on the configurator. NPJ4SV is my set. I select in the configurator Nordstrand Np4v+nj4.

The differences are:

-Tuners hipshot VS standar clover

-Ernie ball super slinky VS nikel standar strings

-Clay dots VS White acryl dots.

Thank you.

IMG_20200722_144415.png

8 minutes ago, Tankdave said:

I would not get too concerned because the website has indeed changed recently, just concentrate on getting your bass made perfect or be compensated for the fact it's not

what he said. At the end of the day, you got a bass you like. If you dwell on the attitude of the maker too much you'll end up not liking it. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

what he said. At the end of the day, you got a bass you like. If you dwell on the attitude of the maker too much you'll end up not liking it. 

Absolutely, it's just the need for emotional closure that's keeping this process going, and that's a lose/lose situation for the OP. There's a real need to switch off the emotions and get on with other stuff. To quote the famous Budweiser ad, 'Let it go Louis, let it go...' 

And of course, if the negativity about the bass keeps building, come the inevitable day it's going to be a nightmare to sell the bloody thing :)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Thank you.

My point with this is: 200€ is enough to prefer this topic continue making bigger?

Solve the problem two weeks ago and this topic don't exist.

Thank you.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Yes, indeed. There are ‘in stock’ basses on his web site that are ‘custom’ models. For them to be able to argue that any combination of options offered in the configurator are not what they normally do is stretching it.

Probably customer returns......oh, hang on......😉

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Radchenko said:

Thank you.

My point with this is: 200€ is enough to prefer this topic continue making bigger?

Solve the problem two weeks ago and this topic don't exist.

Thank you.

With respect, 100E seems fair to me for what are some small imperfections.

Any larger sum seems to be trying to get compensation for the poor customer service as well.

This thread getting longer doesn't actually make your case any stronger and might even undermine it by making you appear less than reasonable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

This thread getting longer doesn't actually make your case any stronger and might even undermine it by making you appear less than reasonable.

That's my thinking also. it would be a good idea to summarise the thread (possibly in a revised opening post), and then ask one of the mods to close it. It will stand as useful information for anyone looking to buy one of the basses in question, without it getting so long and drawn out that is ceases to be anything but the long and lingering death of a once valid complaint. As Mr Mandrel suggests, there's a point in time at which the moment is no longer in your favour...

Edited by Beedster
  • Like 2

On 21/07/2020 at 18:16, Beedster said:

I doubt he will, he and the buyer are both, perhaps with reason on both sides, invested in their side of the argument now. If I was the buyer, I'd accept that fact, get the issues resolved locally and move on. If I were the builder, I'd be kicking myself for the reputational losses perhaps recognising that the sheer drawn out nature of this process leaves him in a lose/lose situation; if he refunds it says he was wrong and shouldn't have made such an intransigent stand for so long, if he doesn't refund he remains the bad guy for leaving such an unhappy £2000 buyer. This feels like a Talkbass thread to be honest, there seem to have been a number of luthiers who have fallen into this trap; too much success too quickly comes back and kicks you. He's a person, probably a decent person with a family and people who depend on him for their livelihoods, and there's no doubt he's a talented builder. I hope he comes out of this OK whatever the rights and wrongs of this situation, and despite what I said in my previous post about his inability to realise what's important in business. There's no doubt he brought some colourful instruments to the party and, irrespective of his apparent low social skills (hardly a crime and hardly unusual in craftsmen) and occasional mess-ups, he clearly made a lot of buyers very happy.   

Just checked their website out of curiosity and had clearly misunderstood the type and scale of business it is, so some of the above is probably a long way off the mark. It's certainly not a case of a luthier in over his head as suggested above; more a pick and mix parts dealer than custom builder. I can see how tempting the configurator approach is, but frankly unless I was doing something really wild, I'd rather source the parts and put a bass together myself, that way you know what you're getting. 

There's clearly a load of hardware from different high quality brands on offer, but do they manufacture their own necks and bodies or are they outsourced? 

5 minutes ago, Beedster said:

There's clearly a load of hardware from different high quality brands on offer, but do they manufacture their own necks and bodies or are they outsourced? 

They manufacture their own necks and bodies.

7 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Just checked their website out of curiosity and had clearly misunderstood the type and scale of business it is, so some of the above is probably a long way off the mark. It's certainly not a case of a luthier in over his head as suggested above; more a pick and mix parts dealer than custom builder. I can see how tempting the configurator approach is, but frankly unless I was doing something really wild, I'd rather source the parts and put a bass together myself, that way you know what you're getting. 

You can order anything you like really (within the parameters of the given body shapes). My 2 customs are 33” scale, 41mm nut width. A friend of mine ordered a headless, neck through Frog long before that became a standard option.

• ped locked this topic