Why become a member? ×

My new Maruszczyk---"nitro gloss"?

Radchenko

Glad I just read this whole thread, its taken a long time.

I am about to pull the pin on a similarly if not more expensive Elwood-C build.

I get the posters original mail could have been better, but that is not what matters to me.

The CS response from the company is, things do go wrong and need fixing or correcting etc.

So with that being said, I shall be looking elsewhere now.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Tankdave said:

Glad I just read this whole thread, its taken a long time.

I am about to pull the pin on a similarly if not more expensive Elwood-C build.

I get the posters original mail could have been better, but that is not what matters to me.

The CS response from the company is, things do go wrong and need fixing or correcting etc.

So with that being said, I shall be looking elsewhere now.

Wot I said earlier, can't believe Adrian has not resolved this situation yet, maybe someone who knows him could send him this thread as a link?

• Like 1

On 17/07/2020 at 15:43, Radchenko said:

Hello, thank you.

I'm talking about autumn, now I have a lot of work in summer and for me it's impossible go to Madrid.

I think Adrian could think a way to be fair without the neccesity of returning the Bass, refund money or have an important detail with me, I don't know.

I can't even think what is happening for his head.

Thank you.

Would you still be happy playing a bass with the guy's name on the headstock?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ped said:

Would you still be happy playing a bass with the guy's name on the headstock?

Hello,

Still waiting.

Well, all people can made a mistake. The Bass is nice except some things. Adrian can solve this situation some way (refund some money, some kind of great detail...). He said he was going to do It but he dissapeared. 

Thank you.

Adrian could address this in 10 minutes if he wanted to.....all he has to do is suggest a couple of options and follow them through. 

He’s either unaware of his business going down the toilet on this website - which is probably where he gets a large amount of his UK sales from - or he doesn’t have any intention of resolving the situation.

Edited by Mudpup

12 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

Adrian could address this in 10 minutes if he wanted to.....all he has to do is suggest a couple of options and follow them through. 

He’s either unaware of his business going down the toilet on this website - which is probably where he gets a large amount of his UK sales from - or he doesn’t have any intention of resolving the situation.

This has been going on for way too long for me not to consider the fact he just doesn't care.

He has been pointed at THIS specific thread. Additionally, if you look around on the net, you'll find plenty of people lamenting the bad QC of his instruments. 

Doesn't care. People should just put their money in somebody else's pockets. It's a shame, as I was eyeing an Elwood 6 build. Oh well. He's not the only one who makes mid-range super jazzes :)

I'm just really bitter for the OP. If it were me, at this point I'd have flewn to his door and personally gave the bass back just out of principle :P

Edited by akabane

My tuppence worth - just received my 2nd build from Maruszczyk a week or two back. Bass is all good, no complaints. Minor issue before it was shipped was that it was missing a string retainer I had asked for, being a non-angled headstock. Again - not a big issue. Asked Adrian about this before it was shipped, his reply was it didn’t need it. (My first order definitely needed it. Different opinion is fine, but I ordered it, so I’d like what I paid for) I replied it was fine to send it without the retainer installed and I would do it myself, having done the other one. His reply was along the lines of ‘ok, but which string retainer? I have 30 basses just arrived.’ 

I’ll happily overlook any language issues - my Polish and German is non-existent - but right there I felt like I was bothering him just to get my order fulfilled. As others have stated, his manner is less than ideal for in-person or internet sales.

The pro’s are that I have two instruments I’m really happy with. The negatives are that his manner would make me look elsewhere if there’s a next time I’m looking an instrument of that price. 

I really do like my basses, loved learning about the company from following WOT’s posts. It’s unfortunate to be left with a sour taste. Spec’ing a custom bass is part of the enjoyment, along with getting the final thing and cherishing it. Feeling like you’re interrupting someone’s conversation and wasting their time (when you’re actually just trying to GIVE THEM MONEY!!!!!) - I thought that was the bricks and mortar music shops of olde. 

Anyway - sorry for the hi-jack. Hope things get resolved for the OP.

• Thanks 1

Buying an instrument is an emotional experience, we try to make it logical to justify the expense and various other aspects, but at it's core, like music itself, it's about feelings. A good businessperson understands this and aims to make their customer feel good at every stage of the process. The old model of "I'm an artisan/craftsman/genius, you get what I say you get" is either long gone or the preserve of people building £500k violins. Having read this and other threads about this guy, it sounds like he has let his ego and/or laziness get ahead of his customer service, and in doing so has broken the emotional bond with many of his customers, past, present and future. Unless he makes amends quickly his business will struggle to recover. He might be cheap, but these days so are a lot of very good quality basses. 

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Beedster said:

He might be cheap, but these days so are a lot of very good quality basses. 

Is he cheap though? Just looking at the in stock Elwood's. They bounce between €1160 and around €1500. You can get a Sandberg California TT passive for the same money. I know which way I would go.

Slightly off topic and slightly irrational I know, but the 'From Player to Player' thing on the headstock has always seemed a bit naff to me. I believe there are examples without it, may even be an option to not have it for all I know, but it's put me off buying used ones that do bear that phrase. (apologies to anyone who has one - it's just not for me).

4 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Is he cheap though?

Having seen the prices you quote HH, he certainly isn't by a long shot. If I forget one rather annoying transaction with them, I really like Warmoth, I've got three basses, two Warmoth bodies, three Warmoth necks. They can be picked up dirt cheap on eBay because for whatever reason, they're out of fashion in the UK (without doubt THE best neck I've ever played let alone owned cost me £110 on eBay). But even if buying new, and as long as you know what you're doing with Warmoth's ordering system, and even given import duties etc, you can build a Fender Custom Shop standard bass for not much more than MIM money. Resale value is stinky poo as above, and you have to live with that, but wow, you get a good instrument. I remember thinking a while back that one reason for Warmoth's apparent decline in the UK was the new breed of 'Design your own custom Fender' builder in Europe. Perhaps things will shift back again? 

• Like 1

On 05/07/2020 at 16:55, Drax said:

Yeah that last line isn't great. As we know Adrian can come across quite brusque on email, I always put this down to being lost in translation, plus him being backed up as the sole contact for anything Marus' related.

I've never heard of anyone just being dumped by them though - I'm sure he'll work something out if you're absolutely not happy. 

I was. Bought a five string from them. The low B string was basically unplayable but his response was 'unlucky it's a custom order'. Shocking. Never gone anywhere near them since. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Beedster said:

Buying an instrument is an emotional experience, we try to make it logical to justify the expense and various other aspects, but at it's core, like music itself, it's about feelings. A good businessperson understands this and aims to make their customer feel good at every stage of the process.

It absolutely is. My latest bass is the most expensive I have ever bought, previously something held by my Maruszczyk elwood. The thing that helped me to justify paying that much on the bass is not just that I fell in love with the bass (although I already did in 2017), but also the support I got from the luthier on a completely different bass that I got second hand on here, something that I would have had no issues if he couldn't help me with - he wasn't making anything from it, but he cared because it was one of his.

And I know that if I had trouble with that bass, he would help with it. And there aren't any troubles,  

52 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Is he cheap though? Just looking at the in stock Elwood's. They bounce between €1160 and around €1500. You can get a Sandberg California TT passive for the same money. I know which way I would go.

When you start customising the prices can go up a bit.

The difference there is you get a bit more customisation. My Elwood has an Ibanez neck profile. I couldn't get that from an off the shelf jazz bass. However, as the costs go up you start getting closer to the other custom luthiers and then you do get more options.

Slightly off topic and slightly irrational I know, but the 'From Player to Player' thing on the headstock has always seemed a bit naff to me. I believe there are examples without it, may even be an option to not have it for all I know, but it's put me off buying used ones that do bear that phrase.

It is optional, mine doesn't have one of those, just a M logo.

Edited by Woodinblack

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

'From Player to Player' ....I believe there are examples without it’ 

(sorry - quote thing is confusing - next bit is from me, Gareth)

Yes, you can order without it. Agreed it looks naff - first order I asked for just the M logo - mistake happened and I got the full ‘Player...’ logo. In fairness he offered to send it back to be rectified, which would have added an extra week or two to getting the bass so I declined. As a gesture of goodwill he upgraded the gigbag that came with bass.

Edited by Gareth Hughes

It's funny how it can go from one extreme to the other - one of the main factors which persuaded me to opt for a Jake was how much wateroftyne enthused about his - and listening to the sound clips obviously.

I was a little nervous dropping the kind of money I'd run up on the bass I specc-ed but it's been a joy to play and is beautiful to look at - I got a really nice neck with a good bit of birds eye which I hadn't asked for.

If I'd read this thread first, I wouldn't have one thrown at me now which is sad. I'm just lucky I didn't have any issues or it looks like I'd be on my own.

Not good from Adrian / Public Peace

• ped locked this topic