Why become a member? ×

My new Maruszczyk---"nitro gloss"?

Radchenko

21 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

It sounds to me like he's open to negotiation. Did you reply to that..?

Yes, but he didn't answer me.

His sentence: "is smaller than any dust grains", don't look really worried. Like, take 50€ euro and bye.

Another thing is that in Public peace appear this german vat reduction weeks ago, I payed 700€ at the beggining, but the rest now. I think, other brand customer service maybe had had discount this money from my final price before I payed the total.

Thank you.

Screenshot_2020-07-14-16-51-29-487_com.opera.browser.png

Edited by Radchenko

I would send this back and get a bass from somewhere else. When I ordered my Overwater there was communication at every stage and I had a good discussion before the build on the options I would like with no time pressures. Oh and Chris May is great to deal with.

• Like 1

I have a feeling that some details are getting lost in translation. 

Could it be when the OP says "fissure" then the builder, and some here, are looking at the gap between the neck and the neck pocket rather the crack radiating outwards from the right angled part of the neck pocket? I can't believe a builder would see that crack and say it's there's nothing wrong with it. 

It is common to see this crack on older instruments that have had a life as its a high stress point, and being a right angle all the stress is focused on the corner, but not on brand new, whether poly, nitro or any other finish. Surely with nitro being soft never fully curing it should be less likely to crack when fresh.

How many others here have bought a brand new, nitro finished instrument that had cracks in the finish from day one that wasn't relic'd, just curious as some seem to be saying it's normal for a brand new, nitro finished instrument to have cracks on delivery. I've only bought poly finished basses so don't know but I've worked with paint for long enough that I wouldn't be expecting it, or be particularly happy about it. 

18 minutes ago, Maude said:

I have a feeling that some details are getting lost in translation. 

Agreed. 

My take also is that they seem to produce a £1k bass model bass with millions of options that take the price up. If you spec a £2k bass my still get £1k service

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Agreed. 

My take also is that they seem to produce a £1k bass model bass with millions of options that take the price up. If you spec a £2k bass my still get £1k service

True, but no new bass whether £100 or £10,000 should have cracks radiating from the neck pocket. 

If it's happened in transit then surely it's like any other product, it gets returned and replaced with a undamaged one, or a discount is offered. 

• Thanks 1

I suspect it all kicked off badly because the initial complaint was questioning if it had a nitro finish.

That lovely deep gloss probably took a lot of work and seeing it dissed may have been a touch upsetting, and certainly marked the OP out as someone who had ordered without fully understanding what they would get. Also speccing a P-bass pickup with Jazz neck and expecting the poles to line up.

Good customer service ought to look past this.

I think the biggest issue, though, is that the two parties are communicating in a second language. 

It's easy to seem in an email unintentionally. Emails from both sides seem to switch between trying to be polite and reasonable and being abrubt, and I'm sure that is is not the intention.

I suspect even the Stinky Poo comment may have been an attempt at humour to defuse the situation that went wrong...

My advice... use more smilies guys :-)

It's sad to read this and I feel as though this is becoming a major PR own-goal for Adrian.

With the quality of so-called budget basses as they are these days, this kind of poor QC at the Maruszczyk end coupled with the frankly bizarre response from the company is unacceptable.

If I was about to put a deposit down right now for a bass I'd be saving for something else. I guess I got lucky with mine.

• Like 1

As many others have stated, if I'd paid 2k for a bass and I wasn't completely satisfied with it then I'd be asking as many questions as I liked and provided that I was being reasonable (which I believe the OP is) I would expect them to be answered courteously as possible.

You wouldn't take that sort of attitude from someone working in a supermarket, so why accept it with such a large expensive purchase?

And as much as its "a special thing at a special price" I'm guessing it's not so special a price that Adrian doesn't do extremely well out of it; I'm assuming he isn't doing it as a labour of love...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, PaulThePlug said:

Those scratch plate / pickguard holes? - Nope... looks like the screw heads are too small and the holes are not countersunk properly...

Sorry, can you describe me this please? Thank you.

I think people are trying too hard to find faults now. The scratchplate screws/holes look to me like the film is still on. 

Look at the bottom picture in this post and zoom in on the edge of the trussrod access hole and the screw to the right of it. 

29 minutes ago, Maude said:

I think people are trying too hard to find faults now. The scratchplate screws/holes look to me like the film is still on. 

Look at the bottom picture in this post and zoom in on the edge of the trussrod access hole and the screw to the right of it.

I don't even see that hahah

From my point of view all I see is the scratch on the back and a bit of stuff on the neck.

I will say in a positive vein that it has one of the nicest necks, its like clouds. I would like something with a neck like that. Well, not a 4 string P neck but that finish!

• Like 1

If I was spending €2k+ on an instrument and I was anything other than 100% bowled over and any issues hadn’t been swiftly resolved within a couple of days of raising them I’d have already returned it and asked for a refund. 

Completely take into account (and don’t disagree really) the points people have raised but €2k is a hell of a lot of dough. That spend to then only be maybe 70-80% satisfied is nowhere close to acceptable to me...

• Like 4

Yeah, this is a lesson on how not to do customer service!

A good example for me personally was Sandberg, I got one secondhand and it was missing the dots by the neck, emailed, got a response from the owner and they posted me some out no charge from Germany!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 14/07/2020 at 08:10, skej21 said:

I used to work in a guitar store and (at the time) the Fender American Vintage range instruments used to arrive like this quite regularly.

I have an American Vintage, and it does indeed have a crack like this, haha.

However, the builder should not respond like he has.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, thedontcarebear said:

A good example for me personally was Sandberg, I got one secondhand and it was missing the dots by the neck, emailed, got a response from the owner and they posted me some out no charge from Germany!

Yeh, mr shuker sent me a replacement preamp for a second hand shuker I bought.

That's a point - I forgot to mention in my earlier post - that replacement pickup I had put into one of my Shukers and the subsequent preamp tweaking; I hadn't bought the bass from Jon, I got it secondhand (on here, IIRC)...

Edited by Muzz

Well, if you guys put it that way, if we're talking about cantankerous luthiers, the good old Ken Smith is known for his bad temper and being rude and argumentative (and he doesn't even have the excuse of being lost in translation! :P). Yet, I bought a second hand KS bass (of which he didn't see a dime of), and he spent a LOT of his time talking me through it, helping me check it was in the right condition, offered to re-tighten everything and change the screws for new ones if I ever get around his. Just to say that even the ones who are known to be 'chocolate starfish' from time to time, know how to keep customer satisfaction about their products. Even when they don't gain immediate monetary value from it (because they know it will come later)

Well, thank you for your help 🙂

I'm still waiting a resolution. I wrote him 3 mails and no answer.

The Bass is good except electronics (only have the option of 100%pbass, 100% jbass or both 100%).

The fissure (most important thing) and the back scratch.

When I can, I Will go to a luthier in Madrid (2h30' from me), and replace the wiring kit, and check this fissure, etc.

I don't know what is the correct compensation in money for this problems, or other option. What do you think please?.

My initial idea were buy in a year another 32"-33" Jake. But this idea is deleted now obviusly. I'm going to check second hand market.

Thank you.

Edited by Radchenko

6 minutes ago, Radchenko said:

Well, thank you for your help 🙂

I'm still waiting a resolution. I wrote him 3 mails and no answer.

The Bass is good except electronics (only have the option of 100%pbass, 100% jbass or both 100%).

The fissure (most important thing) and the back scratch.

When I can, I Will go to a luthier in Madrid (2h30' from me), and replace the wiring kit, and check this fissure, etc.

I don't know what is the correct compensation in money for this problems, or other option. What do you think please?.

My initial idea were buy in a year another 32"-33" Jake. But this idea is deleted now obviusly. I'm going to check second hand market.

Thank you.

What is the point sending e-mails if you’re going to start trying to fix it yourself. The moment you start tinkering with it, he’s never going to accept it as a return. Send it back now, the problem is then his.

2 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

What is the point sending e-mails if you’re going to start trying to fix it yourself. The moment you start tinkering with it, he’s never going to accept it as a return. Send it back now, the problem is then his.

Hello, thank you.

I'm talking about autumn, now I have a lot of work in summer and for me it's impossible go to Madrid.

I think Adrian could think a way to be fair without the neccesity of returning the Bass, refund money or have an important detail with me, I don't know.

I can't even think what is happening for his head.

Thank you.